disallow

2006 Smart Fortwo Cabriolet - need SRS parts

8 posts in this topic

Hey there everyone!

Recently got my hands on a 2006 Fortwo Cabriolet in decent shape, but at some point the airbags all went off in it.  We'd now like to sell it, but in Manitoba, if you don't have working airbags, it won't pass safety anymore.

Any ideas on where I could get these modules?

Thanks

Terry

Hi and welcome to the site, sell it.....!!!!!....Why...???????

You should drive it after getting airbag issue sorted out before selling it.....if running well it'll get you 80 plus MPGs   Just think of the fuel savings...lol

As for the air bags, contact Smart142   he has many parts and such....you never know.

Welcome to the club!

So you're looking for both side and both front air bags?

I have all of them plus the air bag controller. Send me a pm and we can work out details.

However you might be better off to find a parts car in your area then you would get all the air bags and extra parts.

3 people like this

This may be the reason he got it cheap to think it'll make a profit....Hmmm...? Not always the case.

i have all the air bags also,   but seeing you are nowhere close to the maritimes,   i would recommend getting in touch with Smart142

19 hours ago, smart142 said:

Welcome to the club!

So you're looking for both side and both front air bags?

I have all of them plus the air bag controller. Send me a pm and we can work out details.

However you might be better off to find a parts car in your area then you would get all the air bags and extra parts.

Yep, the long story is:

Mother-in-Law and Father-in-Law are going through a bitter divorce since last year.  They bought the car in 2009.  In 2016, he borrowed it to a friend, who hit a speed bump in the road which caused all of the airbags to deploy, even though there was no damage to the remainder of the vehicle.  MPI wrote it off, and FIL bought it back.  So it has rebuilt status now.  Also, the AC is leaking, so that needs repair (I think its a hose).  And every so often he would complain about a CEL and low power, but I think that was a dirty injector, so fuel quality helped solve that.

We now have possession of the car, but my wife doesn't want to keep it because it just reminds her of her dad.  MIL doesn't drive, either, so it will end up sitting, and that is a shame, because it is actually a pretty nice car.  FIL has done some not so nice things over the last year, because we helped her mom out of the bad relationship.

But as is, I know its not able to be saftied here in MB, due to the airbags, and therefore not worth very much.  Everything else seems to be in good shape, other than what I listed above.  124k kms.  I thought about looking for parts locally, but airbags seem to be hard to come by, usually if a car is at the wrecker, they have been deployed already.

We would need all of the SRS components, Both front and side airbags (are they in the seat?).  Not sure if I would also need to get a different SRS module?

Appreciate any help. I will PM you Smart142.

Regards,

Terry in Winnipeg

Sorry to hear the sad story, it happens to almost every family somewhere in the tree more than we know.  Been there done that so to speak.
As for the car, with the amount of money you may have to put into it and with the kms and rebuilt status, it won't get much back imho, I hope I'm wrong......especially if you insist on selling it. You'd get better value out of it to keep it if you are doing all this work to it...?    Maybe tell your wife it should remind her of her mother not her father.......see if that works?  Put a nice pic of her on the dash or something so she see's her not him when she sits in it..?    Sorry.....Hmmmmm.......

Posted (edited) · Report post

ive changed out side airbags (the ones in the seats) with no problems...i used a delphi to clear the codes ...didnt need any modules but again it was only the side bags....im sure smart142 will know (and probably have ) whatever you need to get it back into service

i sourced mine from scrap yards near toronto using the search feature on the OARA site ...they will ship canada wide 

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this