Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
strelnik

Hello to all!

10 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am actually in the US, right across from Windsor, ON. There are not that many smarts around here, certainly it seems that you have more!

I now own two smart cas, both are009 year 451 Passion coupes.

The first I got for $1.00 from a man who wanted to punish his son for abusing the car and constantly running out of gas. I have drained and cleaned the tank, replaced the oil, battery, plugs and she starts well!

What I need to do:

1. Replace the exhaust: it was the standard one and I am looking for a replacement, new or used. These have side exhaust pipes

2. Check over brakes and brake systems

3. Replace the coolant and gearbox fluid, would love recommendations

4. The car is all black and I need a driver's side black fender, which are color-impregnated, not painted per se.

5. I also want to add a trailer hitch as a way to add a spare tire carrier on the back.

I am a retired diesel mechanic and have started getting documentation. I worked for MB and Chrysler and have written service manuals as well.

I just need info and some sources.to make this a running car without any issues.  It looks so nice that I may not drive it until April!

The second car has been more seriously damaged since the timing belt broke, with unknown damage. That will require some engine surgery! or a transplant.

I would also like to get a new or used STAR machine a real on, if possible. Can send money to Canada via bank or PayPal.

Your assistance appreciated. I speak French as well as English so I can help you folks perhaps in some way as well.

strelnik.

PS- I also own Citroen cars:  1937 Traction, 1973 DS21, 1964 2CV!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Welcome to the club.  For a fender you might ask Glenn smart142 on this forum.  He is in London, Ontario less than two hours from Windsor and has several parts cars all the time.  Also check out Smart Club of America as that club will lean a heavier towards the 451 gas cars.  Several of the members here have Star software and I’m sure someone will send you a  message and advise where to get what you need at a reasonable price.  

Nigel

Edited by Nigel
1 person likes this

Hello Nigel,

Thanks for your kind advice. I will look up Glenn smart142 and ask him about body panels!

curt makes a hitch for the 451...shouldnt be too hard to find in the U.S.

or if youre a good welder just google some images and fabricate one

Welcome to the club!  Plus one on smart 142..  He prefers working on diesel smarts, but may have leads on bits for the 451.  Since you worked for MB in the past, you are probably aware that the cost of new OEM mufflers are REALLY expensive.  That said, $1 for a car is a pretty good deal in any language.

Glenn is in London, Ontario, so in real time, about 1½ hours from you depending on how heavy your foot is.

Welcome!  The Citroëns are most interesting to me!  Got photos?

1 person likes this

I had an ID19 Citroen ... LOVED it.  (similar to the DS21, but with a lower trim level.)

4 hours ago, MikeT said:

Welcome!  The Citroëns are most interesting to me!  Got photos?

Hi Mike,

To keep items together, I have four old laptops, one each for MB/Volvo/Citroen/VW Thing. Yes I have photos, but on another PC. Will have to  transfer them if showing other cars is not an issue for the moderators (??).

1 person likes this

@ Strelnik .......... Photos of other cars have been posted in this site with no issues and I have never received complaints about any of them.  Everything from Subarus to Gremlins.  Perhaps this particular thread would be a nice place to post them since you ARE introducing yourself and some of your collection.  Most members here are smart car enthusiasts as well as being enthusiastic about almost anything with wheels.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing some photos of what you have. :thumbsup_anim:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:47 AM, Leadwing said:

@ Strelnik .......... Photos of other cars have been posted in this site with no issues and I have never received complaints about any of them.  Everything from Subarus to Gremlins.  Perhaps this particular thread would be a nice place to post them since you ARE introducing yourself and some of your collection.  Most members here are smart car enthusiasts as well as being enthusiastic about almost anything with wheels.

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing some photos of what you have. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks, leadwing! I am always skittish about violating the unwritten rules of a club.  Some people might not like a non-smart interest, thank you for clarifying, I will bring some photos!  I will bring some photos soonest for incorporation, now that the smart has a heated home at my son's place!  Soon-- to work! Au travail!!

Edited by strelnik
I forgot stuff