Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wagen

Smart for two ALTERNATOR START STOP MHD

13 posts in this topic

I have problem with alternator star stop. 

Remove alternator and put back, and now not work, nost start engine. 

15744161465503895846470391809848.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Did you disconnect your battery before doing this swap...???   IF not I bet you accidentally shorted the positive lead and fried it.  ooops....IF not then check all grounds near or associated with the starting system....maybe even check SAM module and ECU connections for corrosion.....again disconnect battery first and do not touch anything metal on pins or bend pins trying to clean corrosion off them, there are capacitors that will be charged up in your ECU that will discharge and cook the unit.....expensive mistake.....just saying.

Also welcome to the site, many helpful folks here who'll chime in soon I bet.....enjoy....

Edited by Willys

Of course i am disconnect battery... Do you somebody know what i can do now? 

Some ideas? 

1 hour ago, Wagen said:

Some ideas? 

Hmmmm....?   Did you look at any of the things i suggested...?

i have no experience with MHD system on smarts but maybe the starter wires got jostled and now there is a bad connection on starter?

am I right that you are saying it wont crank over at all now after changing the alternator?..

Some ideas? 

10 hours ago, Willys said:

Hmmmm....?   Did you look at any of the things i suggested...?

Yes, all grounds is ok... From ecu to alternator. Everybody told me is this alternator bad, and every smart have peoblem with this part. 

That item itself isn't usually problematic, so "everybody" is wrong. Its actually fairly rare for that to fail. 

The usual problem is with the mounts, which are threaded into soft alloy.  The massive tension on the belt means that over time the mounting holes elongate and the whole things shifts so the belt no longer runs true, the belt shred itself, and the engine overheats and cooks itself causing terminal damage.  Smart have released no less than 6 "fixes" for this, including steel inserts that mount in place of the original mounting holes, but none of these fixes work reliably.

Has this unit been bench tested and is known to be good? Why was it removed in the first place?

6 hours ago, Chopper said:

That item itself isn't usually problematic, so "everybody" is wrong. Its actually fairly rare for that to fail. 

The usual problem is with the mounts, which are threaded into soft alloy.  The massive tension on the belt means that over time the mounting holes elongate and the whole things shifts so the belt no longer runs true, the belt shred itself, and the engine overheats and cooks itself causing terminal damage.  Smart have released no less than 6 "fixes" for this, including steel inserts that mount in place of the original mounting holes, but none of these fixes work reliably.

Has this unit been bench tested and is known to be good? Why was it removed in the first place?

Hmmmm....?   Just wondering why is it the alt and not the starter that is the issue here?   Was the battery dead? IF so , then yes it 's the Alt. not charging the system enough to get starter to start....but if tested good then it has to be something else? Was the belts all on and in good condition? IF so then it's something else..?  Hmmm....why such massive tension on a charging belt? Why does it require any more tension than a normal engine...I do not know, just asking?  I dislike the whole idea of a vehicle stopping and then restarting just for the few seconds sitting at a traffic light.  Can this be tuned out of it? If so I'd be doing so..?  Just a bunch of stupid questions and suggestions from someone who hasn't experienced one of these cars yet....lol. 
We have major issues with the alt over here in salt land from corrosion build up and it seizing resulting in early death of said ALT. But we also have disgusting starters also for the same reasoning.  imho.   From what I hear very poor terminal connections which rot or corrode off resulting in new starters.   

So, does Serbia have the same salt issues as Canada or do they simply allow people to learn to drive in the snow and ice as we should and not destroy everyone's vehicles with bathing them in salt for 6 months of the year....lol.

Just a few questions is all....now back to the regularly scheduled programming......

1 person likes this

From what I read the alternator is the starter and that is why the belt needs to be so tight.

Edited by Nigel

Absolutely idiotic system...IMHO.....did they leave the boss for the starter where it used to be? If so and workable I'd be figuring out how to retro fit a real starter or sell the damned car!  Sorry to say, it's just stupid they always keep making stuff so complicated that it does nothing more than create problems.  That's just my 2 cents worth and it's only worth 2 cents...lol

1 person likes this

It's not a bad idea per se, just dreadfully executed on the MHD.  You can't give them away over there, and dealers have been known to try and disguise that they are MHD's to get them to sell.  Earlier non MHD normally aspirated 451's are becoming quite sought after in clean condition as those in the know strive avoid the MHD and the 55 bhp diesel.

Edited by Chopper

6 hours ago, Willys said:

Absolutely idiotic system...IMHO

My Honda Goldwing has the same system.  It is 44 years old and there is 598,000 miles on it.  NO issues with the starter or charging system.  All original and untouched.

1 person likes this