Wagen

Smart for two ALTERNATOR START STOP MHD

31 posts in this topic

Sorry about the half post, arthritic pinkie touched the screen. As I was about to say; not trying to insult you but is there a stray live wire from the starter switch interfering with the actuator wiring. On my setup I led a heavy duty cable direct from the battery+ terminal to the starter terminal and a light duty cable from the battery+ terminal through a switch to the starter solenoid thus keeping the new starting circuit completely separate as in earlier simple cars. I didn't try to turn the starter using the ignition key circuitry because I simply don't know how and I have a predisposition towards simplicity. In any case mucking about with the official wiring might lead to all sorts of problems. So far my car hasn't caught fire, LOL. Cheers Pete.

On 9/8/2021 at 10:43 PM, Zuldoon said:

Sorry about the half post, arthritic pinkie touched the screen. As I was about to say; not trying to insult you but is there a stray live wire from the starter switch interfering with the actuator wiring. On my setup I led a heavy duty cable direct from the battery+ terminal to the starter terminal and a light duty cable from the battery+ terminal through a switch to the starter solenoid thus keeping the new starting circuit completely separate as in earlier simple cars. I didn't try to turn the starter using the ignition key circuitry because I simply don't know how and I have a predisposition towards simplicity. In any case mucking about with the official wiring might lead to all sorts of problems. So far my car hasn't caught fire, LOL. Cheers Pete.

High Zuldoon, That's exactly the way i wired my starter motor on my 451 mhd, Same as you. I never used the ignition switch to turn the engine over, but used, like you, a separate switch for the starter motor. I will check the starter motor part number that i have but, i think it is different to yours.

Just checked my starter motor and the part number is the same as yours except mine has 004 after the part number. 

(A 132 151 00 01 004).

John.

Edited by johnaboyy
wording

On 10/09/2021 at 3:16 PM, johnaboyy said:

High Zuldoon, That's exactly the way i wired my starter motor on my 451 mhd, Same as you. I never used the ignition switch to turn the engine over, but used, like you, a separate switch for the starter motor. I will check the starter motor part number that i have but, i think it is different to yours.

Just checked my starter motor and the part number is the same as yours except mine has 004 after the part number. 

(A 132 151 00 01 004).

John.

Hi John, I've been trying to reverse check your motor no. but couldn't find anything. There is a post on this site saying beware some motors run in reverse compared to the mhd engines. Did your engine start. Daft question, but did you check the direction of rotation. The only thing I can think of is that if the engine was turning the wrong way strange things would happen to the electrics via the alternator. Clutching at straws I fear. Would be very interested in the solution if you do get it sorted. Good luck, Pete.

12 hours ago, Zuldoon said:

Hi John, I've been trying to reverse check your motor no. but couldn't find anything. There is a post on this site saying beware some motors run in reverse compared to the mhd engines. Did your engine start. Daft question, but did you check the direction of rotation. The only thing I can think of is that if the engine was turning the wrong way strange things would happen to the electrics via the alternator. Clutching at straws I fear. Would be very interested in the solution if you do get it sorted. Good luck, Pete.

HI Pete,

I never started my engine with the starter motor fitted, just turned the engine over with ignition off. I had the smart on ramps in my garage and working from underneath, I connected a separate battery I had lying on the floor to the starter motor. Heavy wire from positive on the battery to the positive terminal on the starter, heavy earth wire from earth on battery to engine earth and thin wire from positive on battery to a switch then to the small spade on the solenoid on the starter. Once wired up, I pressed the switch and engine turned over while I was lying under the smart. this is when I noticed the Clutch actuator was pulsing in and out. I tried it 3 or 4 times and actuator kept pulsing in and out. The battery in the smart was disconnected just in case anything went wrong. I never even considered that the starter could be turning the wrong way. I had a friend who owned a Hillman Imp about ten years ago and he could never get the engine to start. I noticed that the rotor arm in the distributer was turning the wrong way. I had a spare starter for the Imp and fitted it for him and the Imp started first turn of the key. So, yes I know that happens. Might try the starter back in the smart and make sure it turns the correct way.

Thanks for that advice Pete,

John.

On 14/09/2021 at 11:22 AM, johnaboyy said:

HI Pete,

I never started my engine with the starter motor fitted, just turned the engine over with ignition off. I had the smart on ramps in my garage and working from underneath, I connected a separate battery I had lying on the floor to the starter motor. Heavy wire from positive on the battery to the positive terminal on the starter, heavy earth wire from earth on battery to engine earth and thin wire from positive on battery to a switch then to the small spade on the solenoid on the starter. Once wired up, I pressed the switch and engine turned over while I was lying under the smart. this is when I noticed the Clutch actuator was pulsing in and out. I tried it 3 or 4 times and actuator kept pulsing in and out. The battery in the smart was disconnected just in case anything went wrong. I never even considered that the starter could be turning the wrong way. I had a friend who owned a Hillman Imp about ten years ago and he could never get the engine to start. I noticed that the rotor arm in the distributer was turning the wrong way. I had a spare starter for the Imp and fitted it for him and the Imp started first turn of the key. So, yes I know that happens. Might try the starter back in the smart and make sure it turns the correct way.

Thanks for that advice Pete,

John.

Hi John, before I did anything about inserting a starter motor, I considered placing a spare battery in the boot (trunk) to produce a completely separate system to power it;  but while reading about Smart electrics somewhere else, sorry I've forgotten where, I decided it wouldn't be a good idea but OK to wire the starter to the existing battery in the footwell so long as it wasn't connected into the existing ignition/starter system; so that's what I did. By chance I found an article on the Smart America site where a Canadian guy posted an account of replacing the starter motor on his car complete with illustrations. From here I got the motor number clearly shown on one of the pictures. I obtained a motor with said number and before I fitted it I checked it turned in the correct direction using my spare battery. Having fitted the motor I wired it to the battery in the footwell as previously described. I fed the wiring to the rear of the car via the space above the undertrays. I suspect, but cannot prove, that, by connecting a separate battery to the car via the earthing of the engine and gearbox the fiendishly complex Smart electrical system was excited and may have caused the actuator activation. Hope some of this helps. Good luck, Pete.

On 07/09/2021 at 10:21 PM, Zuldoon said:

Further to my earlier beef about stop/start, I have now fitted a starter motor, above the clutch actuator, fitted associated wiring and a starter button independant of the original system. Also eased off the drive belt tension so its not putting a huge load on the alternator fixings. Works ok and of course I continue to switch the Eco off. Must work out how switch it off permanently sometime, but it's not high on my list.

Hi Zuldoon 

How is this working out didniy solve the issue with the Aux belt snapping ? 

Regards Brad