Willys

Hmmm.....A bridge too far.....

15 posts in this topic

Well for excitement at lunch time i had to go to a dental surgeon and get the second last #46 I have learned, tooth removed as one root had snapped ......

I hate the dentist at the best of times, just resulting from very bad experiences with past dentists hurting me and destroying things in my youth. The first memory I have is from a visit when the machine was powered by a treadle and had a system of leather rope and pulleys making it work the drill. Plus the guy was close to retirement too if I remember correctly and it kept slowing down. Back in England. So the sound of a drill makes me sweat just thinking about one in my mouth!

Well today's fun took this very nice and experienced guy a few years old than me almost an hour to remove. After snapping the remaining tooth off the only good root he proceeded to dig out the roots!  He had a hard time as one was so curved it had to be trenched to allow him space to get leverage against the root to pry it out!  The sounds that came from my tooth and roots was nasty. A few stitches later and a mouthful of gauze I'm home.   Now I am solidly drugged to deal with the aftermath as the freezing is leaving the building.....sniff sniff...

I asked plenty of what I considered good useful questions and options on what to do to deal with yet another space unable to eat from.  He said that because of the poor condition of the two remaining teeth either side of this massive creator he left, that they too will break off sooner than later. He highly recommended an implant but i do not want to sink what I would spend on two Smart cars to solve this predicament. He then says the best and more likely to last the longest considering the other two teeth, a bridge and reconstruction of those two teeth at the same time.  Hmmm....I thought....sounds very expensive, again how many cars will be parked in my head for that!   Just one he says, far better than the implant route and he doesn't do those mundane jobs. Any good dentist he says should be able to do the work for me.   He was a very nice older gentleman who also has classic cars and loves tinkering with them.....so we got along well. He has a 67 mustang in showroom condition and a 62 Studebaker the first 4 seater sports model he says...I don't know but it sounded special the way he was describing it. Again in showroom condition.  Living in a heated shop with a car lift etc etc....

So, now as I ache well, I'm now facing this delema.......should I follow his sensible opinion and park a very good Smart Car in my mouth....!....?       I'm leaning towards it......Hmmm.....normally I would simply say no way and deal with it, but his explanation and demenstated end result if I do nothing isn't really enticing   even if I hate dentists.

Decisions decisions......now to see if our dental plan possibly will cover it.....fingers crossed but I highly doubt it.

I still have a full set in spite of my old age. I visit my dentist twice a year and it costs me nearly nothing. Had a clean and X rays last visit. Cost me only £15 on the NHS. 

About pulling the root, I remember having seen a cartoon drawing 50 years ago showing a patient having the procedure done. With the root came also his balls and the other part. A real shame I cannot find that drawing. 

2 hours ago, tolsen said:

I still have a full set in spite of my old age. I visit my dentist twice a year and it costs me nearly nothing. Had a clean and X rays last visit. Cost me only £15 on the NHS. 

About pulling the root, I remember having seen a cartoon drawing 50 years ago showing a patient having the procedure done. With the root came also his balls and the other part. A real shame I cannot find that drawing. 

The amount of force being leveled onto my jaw and neck to pry the roots out was surprising and also painful against my herniated neck. It'll be sore tomorrow for sure.   Yes I can imagine him snapping my jaw with that amount of pressure and was semi expecting it to happen. I had two people helping me keep pressure against his pressure so he wouldn't press my jaw into my chest!   I have a very bad sweet tooth and always have steered away from dentists unless in pain from a cavity etc. Most of my teeth have been root canneled.   Good for no more tooth aches but Hmmmm...?   The reason it costs so much is it's considered a cosmetic  procedure so the benefit company doesn't want to cover the new bridge.  That is the only reason I didn't get the last two I had pulled fixed the same way....plus they have more teeth around them for strength...

Implants are great, recommend them.

1 minute ago, MikeT said:

Implants are great, recommend them.

More money than I am willing to invest into my head seeing as I could need 3 to start with.  He also said the tooth next to it will break in time so he didn't recommend it. He suggested the bridge to be a longer lasting option. Also resulting in spreading the bite down loading over a larger area.

i have a total of 3 fillings

all in last 8 years...1 was last monday

no coverage had to pay cash

The problem with bridges is that the biting force that used to be distributed over three teeth with roots is now distributed over two, so it's very hard on the anchor teeth.  But implants only work if the bone is good and of the correct depth.  I have one and will get two more next year.

I also have a bridge from about 12 years ago...

Sounds like he's got a 62 Studebaker Hawk last yr for this body.

62 was also the 1st yr of the Avanti which was a fiberglass bodied 4 seater sports car.

1963_Studebaker_Avanti_gold_at_Concord_University.jpg

1 person likes this

Yes that's it, I remember the name now you said it.  Not my favorite front end of any vehicle....must be an acquired taste.....Hmmmm....?

On 29/11/2019 at 5:32 AM, LooseLugNuts said:

yooyh.jpg

Willys’

1 person likes this

Hmmmmmm......well after almost a week it still is pounding during the day ...so tomorrow i am going back to see what is what....just to be safe....so to speak.  I'm flushing with more salt water solution than the Channel holds daily I'm sure....and have no infection from what I can see or smell....no dead odors.....or puss oozing from anywhere. But it still pounds for no reason imho.  Tomorrow I'll see if i need a lobotomy....lo...more than a 50-50 chance I'm sure....lol

Just an update.....so I went back to see surgeon and he examined the hole and concluded it was a dry socket...Hmm.....explained the whole process etc etc....wrote out two scripts, one for the pain and another for mouthwash that seriously tastes like toilet bleach with a semi minty smell...augh!  BUT, in less than 2 hours I would bet, the pain stopped and the healing began !!!
So as of today, the gums have started closing over the hole and no infection or pain so to speak, mainly I expect due to antibiotics and pain killer and the mouth  wash ......I think it's destroyed my taste buds for sure...lol.

The most annoying part is, I have to eat everything in very small bites and obviously on the other side where there are even less teeth to chew on...lol.....maybe I'll drop a few pounds in this process....a win win....so the long story is job done until I can get the hole covered over and healed completely then go see a construction worker to advise me on a bridge......where's my lottery tickets...?  Maybe I'll need to start buying a few...?  lol

1 hour ago, Willys said:

The most annoying part is, I have to eat everything in very small bites and obviously on the other side where there are even less teeth to chew on...lol

A blender and a large straw does wonders while you are healing . :lol: