Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beauman

code reader port

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am new to this site. I have a 2006 cdi Smart which I recently acquired. I will start and run for 5 sec and shut off. I would like to know where the co

de reader port is located.

Thanks in advance.

To the left of the steering column at the back of the cubbyhole.  There may be a little cover over the port.  
By the way welcome to the site.

Nigel

181BE403-54BB-4E1B-A4FD-3453A904D249.jpeg

Edited by Nigel

Welcome to the site......nice little town Madoc.   Beware of some code readers as some jump mileage numbers by tens of thousands, from what I hear of some complaints...?

What displays are on the dash when it shuts off? 3 bars, a key, or something else?    

This car is well known to have grounding pin issues being slightly corroded which you won't see until you undo and then clean up, also the large ground braided cable in engine compartment could be snapped....engine to bodywork.  Then find SAM(fusebox) under dash in the same area as OBDII plug and lower it and check all plugs for corroded or burnt pins in the plugs. IF you take it out disconnect battery first so as you do not spike the power cable on top of SAM unit (easily done)  This car is very finicky about electronic issues, ask me how I learned this....cost me an ECU. Not cheap normally!  IF all connectors are good, now time to open up SAM carefully and check the circuit board for bad solder joints on a single row of about 12 pins....it will have cracks around many of these pins which will require resoldering.....not that hard to do. This should be checked for every new smart anyone purchases IMHO....almost every Smart has some issue with this SAM unit.   Next there is a connector next to the battery in the battery well, a white flat connecter that can corrode badly. Also look at the silver box just above battery, it also suffers from water damage. Again it can be opened up to see what is what. It can be carefully cleaned with sensor cleaner and a tooth brush and put back together and moved to a better location where water can't get to it. I hang mine from dash support.

Sorry for long post......hope this helps.    Oh the best way to deal with a Smart Car is by using a STAR machine.......ask if you think you need this service.