NeilsSmartOnAegina

Smart for two 450 Diesel three bars flashing.

61 posts in this topic

I'll bet it's seized and won't allow the action to push the gear out....check the cost of a new one, not a rebuilt, it shouldn't be that much more and you get a fresh unit....imho worth the extra $20 for me to buy new over rebuilt. Which costs me $200 ish in Canada. Cash money....no taxes.

IF money is tight, it can be disassembled and cleaned up and made to work, but for the amount of work and stuff, worn internal electronics, imho far better to replace.

Edited by Willys

Big hammers are sometimes the only cure but can cause great harm in the wrong hands.

Starter is easy to disassemble and I would certainly open it out and get it operational.  The alternative is new starter and lighter pocket book.

That's correct for connections.

When you jump + to the tab can you hear or feel the solenoid click or jump.

Part of its job is to pull/push the gear out to engage the flywheel.

Sounds like its become disconnected someplace or its jumped out of place.

If you have a place that rebuilds starters and alternators near you they should be able to make repairs to it.

If not try to see why it's not moving the gear it may have just jumped out of place.

But as it may have done that it'll probably happen again.

Replacement would be your best option unless you want to keep removing it to do repairs.

There is a male helical gear on armature shaft which is in mesh with female helical gear on overrun clutch and pinion assembly.  This gear must have seized and therefore needs some lube to get it unseized.  Try first with penetration oil then check if pinion flies out when starter turns.  Penetration oil may be enough but better disassembling, clean and apply moly grease, same as used in CV joints.

5 hours ago, Willys said:

I'll bet it's seized and won't allow the action to push the gear out....check the cost of a new one, not a rebuilt, it shouldn't be that much more and you get a fresh unit....imho worth the extra $20 for me to buy new over rebuilt. Which costs me $200 ish in Canada. Cash money....no taxes.

IF money is tight, it can be disassembled and cleaned up and made to work, but for the amount of work and stuff, worn internal electronics, imho far better to replace.

No electronics in starters except in some modern fluorescent tube starters.  

1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, tolsen said:

No electronics in starters except in some modern fluorescent tube starters.  

Electronic are anything that carries a spark imho....lol.....so any and all motors and brushes etc, are prone to corrosion and decay....and thus a complete wast of time trying to make good, especially when it's so difficult to install and try only to have to redo it tomorrow....just my experience....or opinion...lol.   On any other easily accessable engine compartment I'd agree...but  seeing how long it takes.....worth twice the amount to save that amount of aggravation....sometimes a lighter pocket book isn't that bad....lol.

ALSO, BEWARE how you hold onto that starter when you are exciting that coil as if your thumb or fingers are near that gear being sent out at warp speed, you'll be cursing....!!!!

Disassembling starter is very quick if you know how. Alternatively immerse pinion end overnight in oil up to one third length of starter. Hold it vertically in air when testing and leave overnight to drip off. 

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Disassembling starter is very quick if you know how. Alternatively immerse pinion end overnight in oil up to one third length of starter. Hold it vertically in air when testing and leave overnight to drip off. 

Yup, IF you know how....is key......or you could ruin it completely, using large hammer...lol.    I agree everything is repairable if you have enough skill and patience....but......as said above.

17 minutes ago, tolsen said:

It is only a few screws less than number of fingers on one hand.

LOL...what, you still got all yours...?

31 minutes ago, Willys said:

LOL...what, you still got all yours...?

I still got ten toes and ten fingers. No more black nails. Cleaned my finger tips in  the newly acquired China sonic cleaner. Wife was impressed. 

1 person likes this