13 posts in this topic

I guess the main question is, do I want a diesel or the brabus model and I can’t decide. I have read the Diesel engine will last forever compared to the gas. Opinions? 

Get the best of both worlds, a Diesel BRABUS.  There were 54 of them made.

ive never owned a gas one but while using my diesel  ive been approached bya lot of gas smart owners (usually in parking lots) who originally owned a diesel model and they always said they wished theyd have kept their diesels

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

The 450 diesel is a tough old boot. Having said that, the blown Mitsubishi engine in the 451 is also a very robust unit.

Tricky call,  personally I'd probably go for the 450 diesel, but I'd be very happy with either in my christmas stocking.

Edited by Chopper

I like the dirty old girl now....diesel all the way....lol

Yes but the brabus is being sold for 2500 and the diesel is 1000.  Now the diesel needs a new injection pump (which I can get rebuilt) and a new plastic for the back window. 

one thing I really want to do also is mod it and doesn’t seem like there’s much selection for a 2005? Or do I just not know how to research the net anymore lol 

The best modification for the diesel is the remap that bumps power from 40 to 61 HP and torque from 100 Nm to 130+.  It makes an ultra slow car just slow (not far off a 451).  The fuel consumption is nearly unaffected.  We also installed a BRABUS sports suspension in our BRABUS Canada 1 (they had regular suspension from Bottrop) and it makes the car a bit harsh.

If the used car is not running, skip it.  You can get into a world of hurt with a car that "only needs new seals in the high pressure injection pump" etc.  They all "only" need one thing according to the seller but usually there are ten things, each of which costs $500.  There are lots of threads here about what to inspect before buying a diesel but the main thing to know is that the SAM brains can go bad in the fuel lift pump circuit as well as the low beam headlights, and any oil leak on the left side means a new intercooler is required.  Each problem is $1000+ to do properly at a dealer.  DIY is not possible with the SAM.

Edited by MikeT
1 person likes this

53 minutes ago, MikeT said:

The best modification for the diesel is the remap that bumps power from 40 to 61 HP and torque from 100 Nm to 130+.  It makes an ultra slow car just slow (not far off a 451).  The fuel consumption is nearly unaffected.  We also installed a BRABUS sports suspension in our BRABUS Canada 1 (they had regular suspension from Bottrop) and it makes the car a bit harsh.

If the used car is not running, skip it.  You can get into a world of hurt with a car that "only needs new seals in the high pressure injection pump" etc.  They all "only" need one thing according to the seller but usually there are ten things, each of which costs $500.  There are lots of threads here about what to inspect before buying a diesel but the main thing to know is that the SAM brains can go bad in the fuel lift pump circuit as well as the low beam headlights, and any oil leak on the left side means a new intercooler is required.  Each problem is $1000+ to do properly at a dealer.  DIY is not possible with the SAM.

After reading this I think my decision has been made.... thank you for the info and the related info to look over on the site 

Hmmm...plenty of help concerning the SAM fixes here and IMHO, not the deal breaker nor is the high pressure pump....simple to reseal.....if that is all it requires.    I bought a $1000 450 diesel and it';s turned out to a great beater for my winter driving to save my good summer car from the salt.   Once i had gone over the usual issues it gets 80 MPGs and is really reliable....far more than a typical $1000......These are my first diesel vehicles and my previous fear of the dirty cars in this case was incorrectly placed.    So. do your research here on the typical fixes etc etc and then keep asking questions about anything.....I will admit and honestly say they are a slow vehicle but after getting used to it and seeing these fantastic fuel numbers I can easily drive within it's capabilities.  To each their own, but go in eyes wide open and with some good knowledge about what could go wrong with either vehicle etc etc.

The tags on the thread title suggest the petrol engine variant he's looking at is a 2009 car, which makes it a Mitsunishi powered 451 turbo...unless the OP mistyped?

Ok so after looking at the sketchy 2005 diesel which my cousin and I are pretty sure it is stolen and has been sitting outside somewhere for at least 4 years I decided on the 2009. Which I instantly saw that it was advertised as a brabus but not. However I bought it from the guy as he is moving back to japan after finishing University. He wanted it sold bad so I got him to lower the price to $2000! With less than 93,000km!! I’m so in love it’s not funny.  So my obsession thAt started 16 ish years has finally had a taste! 

my fav part is the red interior! I will post pictures after I give it a full clean from top to bottom! Thank you all for your help though!   

💚💚💚💚 

2 people like this