tolsen

Diesel Injector Nozzle Replacement

35 posts in this topic

Have not installed these yet, but did remove the old injectors (2006 CDI with 160K). I removed the tips, checked the pattern by removing the needle and spraying WD-40 through them. They all had a few (partly clogged) holes. I did not disassemble the injectors further. I cleaned the tips and injector bodies in my Branson ultrasonic cleaner with 60 C water and a few drops of Dawn dish soap. I suspended the injector bodies by placing a piece of wood with an injector sized hole in it over the tank so the injector solenoids were not submerged. Ran them for 45 minutes each, tested them with WD-40, got 5 good jets out of each tip and reassembled them. Since I did not know the torque needed I had marked the body and nut with a small punch. Put them back in with new fire rings and torqued them to spec.

The car definitely runs better and has more pep accelerating. It is too early to tell if the mileage has improved, but my Scangauge seems to suggest it has.

The new ones will go in once I have rebuilt the HPFP.

One tip: make sure you double check all the connections for the return lines are tight; it makes a mess if they are not.....:rolleyes:

3 people like this

12 hours ago, Smart42 said:

One tip: make sure you double check all the connections for the return lines are tight; it makes a mess if they are not.....:rolleyes:

Shhhhhh........that's a secret....lol.

If you take a look at the holes in the old nozzles you will see the deformities and how the spray will slightly be effected by such when it's operational. I didn't know that the high pressure liquid would cause so much wear until I saw it under magnification.
Once I saw the damage is when I decided not to bother with the old ones and simply went after new nozzles.
That's for the link on the nozzles. I may just check a set out .

1 person likes this

Thanks for doing the legwork to find genuine Bosch nozzles.

1 person likes this

China against Turkey. Who will be the winner?

China is in the lead based on price. 

I bet China will be a clear winner. China made it too the Moon. Germany and Turkey have not whilst I have nearly made the distance in my wee Smart on original nozzles although now emitting smoke clouds when overtaking. 

If the Chinese ones aren't Bosch or another well known brand, I suspect they'll be very much inferior pattern parts.

1 hour ago, tolsen said:

China is in the lead based on price. 

Spoken like a true Scot ;)

Edited by Smart42
1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Smart42 said:

Spoken like a true Scot ;)

LMFAO.....lol.....

I'll also let you know....a set is on it's way.....they look identical to the ones I purchased last year sometime.   Thanks.