Willys

Scariest drive yet.......

9 posts in this topic

Well, we were invited to supper at my son's place in Peterborough yesterday.....yes the day with the nice ice storm...augh!  Going there was OK,ish.....roads slippery but not dangerous imho.....only had the flashing orange warning lights flashing maybe half a dozen times.....doable.

BUT.......

At 7 pm when we started out back home it was a completely different story!   The little smart would easily spin the rears whenever you applied or let off the pedal. In town they had used what looked like their entire winter's alotment of salt and sand....but after we got out of town and hit the country highway #7 road it was glare ice....the car never once stayed in a straight line it was always sliding around as if you were twisting it into the ground. All 4 wheels not attached to anything. That orange light might have shut off a few times on the way home...lol.   The usual 1 hour and 15 minute drive doubled easily!  I am very surprised the thing never fish tailed completely as it was never firmly attached to the road.
Just goes to show you, either the skill of the driver or the usefulness of the car's anti skid devices.   I have to admit, it was scary to say the least.

Not sure the Honda CRV would have been any better.....?

The wipers and mirrors and antena were massive compared to normal with all the ice build up...it was interesting to watch it grow on the way there......I don't use wipers that much as I use rainX all the time and find it works so well.

1 person likes this

Yes studs would have solved the issue 100%, I don't think we're allowed them here....I had a set of studded tires for my ATV for lake use.....it ruined the fun of it completely!   lol   It was like it was on rails!  Definately would have saved the drive for sure.

Studded tires are permitted for vehicles registered in Northern Ontario but not down here.

I would have slid Into the first parking lot I could find and slept in the car until the salters were out or it warmed up to melt.  Conditions like you describe the police will even be told not to move their cruisers unless it is a life or death call.

Nigel

44 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Studded tires are permitted for vehicles registered in Northern Ontario but not down here

thanks..i didnt know that they werent allowed for cars registered in south ontario

its getting more and more common here to hear the distinct sound of studs but personally ive been too cheap to buy them for myself

i think it does a ton of damage pavement but is probably worth it in places that have long winters..when people argue with me saying they dont do damage  i tell them to go look at the pavement where the snowmobile trails cross the paved highways..

24 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

thanks..i didnt know that they werent allowed for cars registered in south ontario

Good to go anywhere else in Canada.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, tolsen said:

Studded tyres not allowed anymore there too?

I wish they were still allowed ..........  I used to use studs all the time (in the winter) until Ontario lawmakers, in their infinite wisdom, made them illegal except for northern Ontario.

10 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

I think it does a ton of damage pavement but is probably worth it in places that have long winters..when people argue with me saying they dont do damage  i tell them to go look at the pavement where the snowmobile trails cross the paved highways..

Snowmobiles still use steel or tungsten studs which do damage the roads, but tires made in Finland are fitted with very hard and durable plastic studs that retract INTO the tire when running on pavement but remain extended when driving on ice and snow.

As for the damaged roads, which would you rather have? .. Safer driving on ice WITH studs or a drive like Willys was describing in the first post WITHOUT studs and save the pavement,.   I know which choice I would make.

The attached photo is what is available, but depending on where you live, you may not be able to get them.

Studded tires 01.jpg