Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marinersk

450 cdi Fuel Tank

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I've been digging around, fantasizing about getting some seriously extended range on this little Smart.

Evilution's smart-alec comment about having an extended fuel tank which has fuel dispersion points all over the globe notwithstanding, there's scant little out there for a real haulmeister option.

Worse, it seems nobody even makes replacement tanks for the thing.  If this one got damaged or rusted through, I'd have to scrounge up a dead Smart or look into one of the tank refurbishment companies -- which is fine, I get it, this is old and uncommon tech, and it's just not cost effective to make something for retail which rarely fails.

But it sure does get me wondering what I could do to retrofit an extended-volume or extended-compartment tank on this thing.

Thus far it looks like the "best" option would be to make a custom tank that fits in the cargo area above the motor and attach it directly to the main tank.  I can't see how that wouldn't be a gravity feed system, though that's acceptable for diesel in DOT; but getting past the "fuel lines in passenger compartment" makes for a tough justification toward compliance.

Worse, I'd probably want that 120L of cargo space for actual cargo most of the time, so the tank would have to be easily removable, and that introduces joint sealant issues and... and... and...

Yeah. 

I think a more flexible definition of "extended range" will be needed:  A bunch of yellow diesel fuel cans in the cargo compartment and some quick stops to refuel which are not required to coincide with national infrastructure.  :: sigh ::

Edited by marinersk
Clarity

Don't quote me on this one, but I have heard that some 450 owners have fitted the gas tank from a 451.  The 450 tank is approximately 6 US gallons and the 451 tanks are 8.7 US gallons.  Someone else might have other solutions to your issue but this might help.  If you ever get the need to replace bits and don't mind that they are used, but in good working order, I would suggest that  PMing smart142 on this site.  He is in London, Ontario

Aye, the later 700 petrols li e mine were 33 litre.

I'm not sure what the problem is...I drove our current smart diesel with its 22 litre tank across the USA from Michigan to Washington in mid-winter at 75 MPH and never had a range issue.  Even at that speed and cold weather the car would easily do 450 km.

3 people like this

I only start looking for a gas station when the 400kms show their ugly face and I still have 2 blobs showing.  I did think about the larger tank when I first got my first Smart, but gave up worrying about it. In Canada there are only a few roads that have further distances between filling stations and they are far north of me at the moment, but it is where I want to go one day!

For those few days maybe, I would carry a couple of 2.5 gallon cans to get me where i had to go then donate the empty cans afterwards at the last fuel station. It's how we used to do it on our bikes. They had less of a range and that is where we took those also.  Research the Dempster Highway Yukon.....Tuktiuktuk is my goal.

36 minutes ago, Willys said:

I only start looking for a gas station when the 400kms show their ugly face and I still have 2 blobs showing.  I did think about the larger tank when I first got my first Smart, but gave up worrying about it. In Canada there are only a few roads that have further distances between filling stations and they are far north of me at the moment, but it is where I want to go one day!

For those few days maybe, I would carry a couple of 2.5 gallon cans to get me where i had to go then donate the empty cans afterwards at the last fuel station. It's how we used to do it on our bikes. They had less of a range and that is where we took those also.  Research the Dempster Highway Yukon.....Tuktiuktuk is my goal.

Say hi to Lisa.

1 person likes this