smart142

underpower vs overpower

7 posts in this topic

Last night we had about 5cms of snow. Normally I wait for the roads to be plowed.

However it was our curling night so out we went. Kept the speed down and had no problem getting there on the old snow tires.

The way home proved interesting because we had to go up ''snake hill''. It's a little steep.

I would ease off the accelerator when I noticed that yellow light flashing.

1/2 way up  there's a suv fishtailing and going slower, luckily I had enough speed and room to get by him. Liz and I were both laughing when we crested the hill - no sign of the suv behind us.

5 minutes later we pass a tow truck who is about to pull another suv out of a deep ditch - loser!!!

I think a lot of people forget how to drive to the road conditions. They have no excuse when they are in awd vehicles. Too much power and speed obviously!

3 people like this

I’ll take snow tires over four wheel drive any day.  I’ve never understood the thinking awd is somehow safer.   When I used to tow the first thing in the ditch was always a four wheel drive suv.

Nigel

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im trained to drive 4wd properly, so I'd be happy with either.  Or both!

BMWs are first in the ditch up this way. My brother charges 30 quid a time to tow them back onto the tarmac.

Edited by Chopper

To the layman.....if that is correct...lol....4 wheel drive gives him the over confidence to over drive his and the vehicles capabilities....IMHO.....now if you are an experienced 4 wheeler...then if tired correctly in snow it is just about perfect. Now add lockers to the diffs and it'll be almost unstoppable........this coming from a heavily modified Jeep owner from back in the day.   I also used to charge the fools who thought a street car could do the Arc of the Lake, trying to impress the passenger fairer sex hoping for some victory action afterwards no doubt. But after asking for a tow and learning it'll cost you $100 to get back to shore, his golden shield melts away and she isn't so impressed any longer...lol.  Especially when he needs to ask her for a loan to get her back to solid ground...lol.    I have been called plenty of choice words which after the first warning only doubled that tow charge.....lol.
So I agree, correctly positioned weight over drive wheel or wheels and a set of good snows....it's hard to beat slow and easy wins the race.  Normally that is.

I have yet to get my Smart into the kind of trouble snow related that would cause me to tighten the old butt cheeks too much.....but it's early days yet.

My AWD Jeep Grand Cherokee (with high / low ranges) only had all season radials, I was NEVER  stuck in the snow.  As others have mentioned above, driving sensibly is the key to staying on the road. 

REAL snow tires are not available for cars in North America ... Just winter tires.  Huge difference.  Real snow tires have a much more open tread pattern and make them much better in deep snow.  Winter tires have a much softer compound and are better on ice and cold pavement than real snow tires.

I live in an area where I have no choice but to go uphill to leave to go shopping or to work or anything else.  (I live half way down a hill and the only way out is up.)  Before I retired, I would start out to work at 3:00am .......... long before the snow plows get out to do their thing.  Even in the smart, I have never been stuck on the hill.

I recall in the Army in Germany...it took 29 inches of snow to finally defeat the Landies (we measured, we were impressed!).

I've never got stuck in the snow in any car, 4wd, AWD, FWD or RWD, and never managed to go off the road for a little jolly either.  Some cars and tyres are better suited than others, but none of it compensates for a fundamental lack of driving ability.  The most important component is the loose nut behind the wheel.

2 people like this

I once owned a Toyota Hilux. 

A very bad vehicle for getting stuck in mud and snow. 

On my last drive she was stuck in snow on a hill from late September until mid June next year.