SmartCarry

Smart 451 cdi swap to Suzuki Supercarry

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm Niko and greetings from Finland! Couple months ago i got wild but smart(:D) idea to swap om660 diesel to my -87 Suzuki super carry and that's why i joined this forum. I will need lots of help and advise from smart-pros, especially with engine electronics.

So, the situation is this: 1 week ago i finally bought an engine from 2009 Smart Fortwo and i'm going to fit it with Suzuki's 5-speed gearbox. I got also flywheel+clutch, engine and gearbox wiring harness and glow plug relay. I'm missing atleast ECU and maybe SAM but is this all what i need to get  engine running? Does the immobilizer cause problem?

I'm thankful for all kind of help that makes this project become true :)

DSC_07782.jpg

You will need a custom ecu to make that work. Will cost you an arm and a leg. 

It's a huge project.  I can't imagine doing all the necessary engineering to make it function properly.  In the old days, with analogue diesels, it would have been much easier.  The programming alone to make this work would take a lot of effort.

near impossible without a custom ecu and programming

but it wouldnt surprise me if you manage to do it..ive seen tons of near impossible things actually get done

personally id go for a nice old carbureted toyota 4 cyl from an 80's tercel...

nice rig by the way...ive always wanted a carry or an acty but i was cursed with extra height and width

It can be done at a cost around £1200 for the ecu. 

OM660 engines are used successfully in experimental aircrafts, in boats and even in motorcycles. 

Crazymanneill from Belfast converted a Suzuki motorbike to diesel using the OM660 engine and rode it from Belfast all the way to India and back.  

1 person likes this

The price I quoted was from ten years ago so what they charge now is anybody’s guess. 

Crazy man Neill from Belfast ended up having to fork out for two ECUs because the first one did not work or perform right. 

I love these little camper vans.....I saw the first one in Dawson City back in 2010....it was a 4X4 and lifted......it was stunning!   I don't know their top speed but if like the mini trucks it's not high enough to not get driven off our highways .....a real shame for sure!

I enjoy reading about other mad modders doing the impossible with strange swaps etc......stay with it.....keep us informed.    Man after my own heart.....fantastic!

1 person likes this

Ok, maybe i was little bit too optimistic with this project. I found out that SCS Delta make custom ecus for om660, gonna ask them. Thanks

1 person likes this