BigFrankie

Comfortable Driving

30 posts in this topic

Hi, am Frankie and live in the Uk, I recently bought my first smart 451 and after four months of use I noticed it’s not comfortable to drive when the road is not smooth and very hard on bumps😩. Can any one help me with how to make is a bit comfortable, I think the shocks are too stiffe and I drive on 175/55 R15 and 195/ 60 R15

The problem is the suspension design, which is very stiffly sprung.  There's really no solution that will make it as comfortable as a larger car with softer suspension.  The dampers/shock absorbers are not the problem.

1 person likes this

Thanks Mike, really appreciated and at least I have an idea of what is happening. I read about some people discussing about tyre change interns of size does that help in any way or is there an after market springs available to sooth the ride

Daystar lift kit with larger tires....you'll loose the cornering capabilities I'm sure but the ride will get smoother.  I made the same kit and for some strange reason even without the larger tires it felt much smoother.  I will redo my lift with a Daystar lift and get the larger tires for it to get the job done. Fingers crossed...one day.

A taller tire helps a bit.  I run a set of 185/55 r16 in the summer.  Some owners of 2015 year 451 have stated an improved ride over previous years, so there may have been a retuning of the oe shocks and dampers.

Edited by Huronlad

You got 2 inches of suspension travel.  No matter what you do short of lift kits or major chassis work, that is the limiting factor.

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

You got 2 inches of suspension travel.  No matter what you do short of lift kits or major chassis work, that is the limiting factor.

That is why you run larger side walled tires to help gain some comfort and to get that you must lift it.

1 person likes this

With larger diameter wheels you can go faster whilst speedo may still indicate you are within the legal speed limit. 

5 minutes ago, tolsen said:

With larger diameter wheels you can go faster whilst speedo may still indicate you are within the legal speed limit. 

Legal speeding, no...???

The speedometer in my 451 nearly displays the correct speed with the oversized summer tires, it is nearly out 10 percent otherwise.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, BigFrankie said:

Really 

Uh........no....sorry.....don't see chopper letting you off on that one......lol

1 person likes this

The 451 is bloody noisy and a real boneshaker. My 450 Cdi is whisper quiet and comfortable like a Rolls Royce running on rails compared to the 451.

1 person likes this

Aye, my sister has the 451 CDI.  In some ways its "better", but the ride isn't one of them (I still like it a lot though).

I have never liked the 451. Designed by idiots, noisy, ugly, uncomfortable ride and hopeless to work on. 

My 451 has been worlds better than the 450 I owned in every way, fuel consumption being the only exception.  My 451 rides better than my 450 ever did, no broken suspension parts either.  Reliability of the 451 over the 450 is staggering.

Edited by Huronlad

My 450 has been exceptionally reliable after I started doing my own maintenance and servicing. Also no more broken springs since I modified the suspension by fitting cheap as chips China springs on the front and standard Roadster springs on the rear. Before that I had broken at least 13 springs before I lost count. 

Forgot to mention, my Smart has almost made it all the way to the Moon. Intend to issue a press release when i get there. 

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, tolsen said:

Forgot to mention, my Smart has almost made it all the way to the Moon. Intend to issue a press release when i get there. 

LOL.....

19 minutes ago, tolsen said:

My 450 has been exceptionally reliable after I started doing my own maintenance and servicing. Also no more broken springs since I modified the suspension by fitting cheap as chips China springs on the front and standard Roadster springs on the rear. Before that I had broken at least 13 springs before I lost count. 

Hmmmm.....what did the roaster springs give you over the stock rears?  And do they fit without any mods?  Springs maybe be my next point of interest after engine etc....I have new stock rears......but no new fronts.....used those in my beater.

5 hours ago, tolsen said:

384,000 km?

I'm halfway there times two.....does that count...?     

3 hours ago, Willys said:

I'm halfway there times two.....does that count...?     

Both car and you must make it there together, just like Armstrong, Aldrin and their space craft.