Willys

On a completely different note.....

6 posts in this topic

Sump pumps.....specifically submerseables......What do you know...?

My main pump decided today to go for a walk and stop pumping this morning some time...when I don't really know. I simply heard a strange , different sound coming from the sump area which caught my attention. It was the battery back up system doing it's job. Thankfully!!!   We installed it 2 years ago for a trip to England for added peace of mind.  First time it's been needed today!

So, the question is.......I had a back up new pump sitting there, quietly hidden from view and lost in memory....DOH..!    So I spent a few hours doing the usual which one should I buy, research.  I have sort of settled on a cast iron one next time as the last two have been plastic based. I also think a sewage and sump pump may be the final solution, just because I get a fair bit of grit in the ground water entering my sump well.  ????   
After inspecting the damaged pump I found that the impeller had spun off the shaft or stripped the drive/motor shaft. It has a brass bushing that mates to the impeller, not sure if it's part and parcel of the motor shaft or not yet, but it has been worn badly for some time now by the looks of it. So did something get lodged in the impeller to do this or was it just it's time...?  It was 2 years old. I did also replace that pump when I did the battery back up system to get the most room available to get two working pumps in the tight space and their float switches. 

Now.....what do I buy to replace the last pump as I always want a pump sitting there spare just in case.  I will swap out the pump I just installed for a larger better pump when I figure out what to buy.

Suggestions?

Can’t help you with what makes one better than the other.  A number of years ago we had a sump pump from Home Depot that came with a lifetime warranty.  I had a couple of replacements, just take the pump and receipt back get a credit and pick up a new one from the shelf and proceed to check out.

Nigel

buy a cheap one from princess auto

they usually dont mention warranties but they take back everything...really good return policy so basically whatever youre not satisfied with can be returned

That basically is what we have done for 20 years, but....the job of replacing them is now painful on my neck. Leaning into the sump well I have found out just yesterday is something I really do not wish to do again.The risk of one stopping while I'm not home is mentally disturbing with the amount of damage getting caused is just something I don't want to deal with. I have or we have decided that just maybe we should do it right this time and buy something hopefully will never need replacing again until we are gone from this house. 

I am going to Princess this weekend for a day out, as they do sell the heavy duty brand which I had the lower end version of.  So maybe .....?

9 hours ago, tolsen said:

Fit a Pleuger submersible pump and no more worries. 

Too small for my application.....lol