Rozie62

Front suspension (ESP) 2011 451 0.8 Diesel.

13 posts in this topic

The problem I have is this. I've just changed the NSF spring  which was broken. When testing the vehicle for no apparent reason it surged to the left. Stopped checked everything seems fine. On the return journey it happened again and I notice the ESP light on. I have since stripped it down again, too make sure that I had assembled it correctly,but the ESP is still on. What could the problem be,being everything was fine before I replaced the spring. TIA Rozie62 

near side front, I think is how us brits say it...lol.

Maybe check the sensor wiring to see if it got stretched etc etc..maybe even a bad reluctor ring?   My ESP comes on whenever one wheel slips and as you say will suck the vehicle down until things settle.....

Hi Willys
That was the first thing I did, the only issue I found was an element of dirt. I haven't checked the ring has this wasn't touched. However I will check and let you know.
My other thought is a few years ago I had 500 sec that had a puncture,after changing the wheel I lost all my AC Cruise control and several other electrics. This was all down to the spare wheel being undersized. With that in mind I thing the new spring as knocked the rest of it out sink. So I'm changing the other side as well. Cheers Kevin

NSF-Near side front. I've already checked the sensor visually.seems fine. Tomorrow I will do a volts and amps test to confirm weather good or bad. Cheers Rozie62

best way to check is with an abs scantool that can read live data ...especially if it can graphs and/or overlay to compare signals

Thanks for that. I'm in the process of doing that at the moment. I will let everyone know the outcome once I've solved the issue. Cheers Rozie62 

Good afternoon.  To those that responded. I check the ABS sensor and everything was ok. I have now changed the spring on the OSF along with the tie rod end.

Just taken her for a spin all is good. So it seems that it was out of sink causing the ESP to react.

Thanks to everyone for there suggestions. 

Cheers Rozie62 

I had a Mercedes 500sec that did a similar thing. I got a puncture and put the spare on and lost my AC,Cruise Control and a load of other electrics,all because the spare was undersized.

Cheers Kevin 

yes...it usually a wheel speed issue due to circumference differences

thats why i think the spring causing it is odd

1 person likes this

was the steering wheel off center after changing just one spring?....that happened to me once due to a bent strut and the car (2005 450) would set a steering angle sensor position code then disable the abs/esp system

No. Steering was fine. It's now seems to be fine. I did volts and amp check on sensors all good. Change OSF Spring and tie rod. Now all good.(Fingers crossed) cheers Rozie62