Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ACSTECH

"3 Bars of Death"

4 posts in this topic

The "Dorkmobile" has been running fairly well. 210 KM commute 5 days a week. It started off 18 months ago. I got the 3 bars in the middle of the city. Luckily it was at night. Turned car off and on, went away and i kept on going. It would happen once every 4-6 months. lately it has been bad. Driving I can almost tell when it will happen. The car shifts real hard. Like a 16 year old first time with a clutch. It happened 8 times in 10 KM two weeks ago. I had to pull over. Rock the car a few times to reset back to neutral and off I would go. One time it was seized in position for 10 minutes before going into neutral. I have learned that this 3 bars do NOT occur when i am using the car in manual. Only in automatic. Since driving in manual it has been smooth and no problems.

Looking forward to all the assistance.

*Side Note* I am going to be checking all grounding straps here soon. I have been going through all the recent posts and I have not found any wire chafing by the intercooler either.

ACSTECH, it sounds like your clutch actuator. Mine was acing similar a year ago. I dropped the actuator, cleaned some crud out of it. It was bone dry inside. I don't recommend spraying oil into it like duck suggests, as there are plastic things in there that the oil will probably weaken and cause to fail. When It cleaned and lubed my actuator I also made a "cap" to put on the end of the rod (this commonly pokes thru the clutch fork), and also put a glob of grease on the cap to lube where it pushes on the clutch fork. There are a few threads around here about the actuator, so check it out. Especially note Tolsen's one about removing it. The three bolts are on the small side, and would be a real mess if you strip the head or beak one off. Good luck!

Thanks. That is what I was thinking it was. Really wanted to avoid touching it unless that was the problem.