Paul

Ukrainian muffler

21 posts in this topic

Has anyone else tried one of the $200cdn mufflers out of the Ukraine? I've just gotten and installed one, and am quite impressed for the price. Quiet, and easy to install

Edited by Paul

24 minutes ago, Paul said:

Has anyone else tried one of the $200cdn mufflers out of the Ukraine? I've just gotten and installed one, and am quite impressed for the price. Quiet, and easy to install

I would be very much interested as well in any good quality aftermarket mufflers for the 450. 

The previous owner bolted a straight pipe on mine and the rattling sound it makes when idling is all but enjoyable, especially for my neighbours next to the driveway.

Was considering this one https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Smart-Car-Exhaust-Muffler-for-SMART-Diesel-0-8-1998-2004-450-eco/263120125257?fits=Make%3ASmart&hash=item3d432e7d49:g:dggAAOSwxmJZ0x7v&vxp=mtr

but was not sure if it fits the diesel 450. Is there any difference in dimensions and mounting between the petrol and diesel mufflers?

That is probably the one Paul is talking about.  It is from the Ukraine and is about $200 Canadian.  It also says for diesel 450.

Keep in mind it is galvanized steel and probably won’t last like the original stainless muffler.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Hmmmm....that is simply a cheap can with a pipe welded to each end, maybe worth 1/3 of that price....I also bet it won't last 2 years......when you add the winter salt package to it....sorry to say. I also looked at one  and was very interested until I saw what type of muffler it was. IMHO, I think a repaired stock muffler would last you longer than this one will......but time will tell.  Fingers crossed.  Hopefully I'm wrong.

Edited by Willys

I removed my CAT and I do get a whiff of diesel if i sit at a light too long, but normally you are moving so all's good....to be honest, there is really nothing special in a stock can after you remove the CAT , that this muffler will have in it. It's just the outer case that keeps me away from buying one. The stock muffler is far superior to  this design imho. Just because of seeing them rot at the seams after a short time on the old American cars decades ago.  BUT, they are far cheaper than a new stock muffler....by far!  It'll cost you slightly more than this to get your rusted stock can re-welded.....so the choice is yours.   I hope we find out how long it actually does last, stay in touch Paul and give us the scoop.

Well, its been in for a few weeks, and on startup I get a bit of diesel smell, and its slightly noisier than stock, but Im happy with it. Bolted up easy and came with a bracket and strap. No indication of rust anywhere yet. I do have the option of getting a friend to put in a cat for me if I want. He owns an industrial exhaust manufacturing company. I'll see, maybe

Edited by Paul
1 person likes this

My ukrainian muffler is on his way, I mean stuck in an airport somewhere, any tips on how to rust proof this cheap can to have it last a little longer? Can POR-15 work on galvanized steel?

Just my .02, Rustoleum makes a high temp coating.  The POR-15 site says " POR-15 does not adhere well to smooth, shiny surfaces, but will adhere well to those surfaces with the proper preparation."   Doesn't mention high temps.  :)

1 person likes this

ive never really ever found anything that makes a muffler more rustproof other than making sure it gets used often and reaches proper temperature often

also make sure the drain hole is working

8 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

ive never really ever found anything that makes a muffler more rustproof other than making sure it gets used often and reaches proper temperature often

also make sure the drain hole is working

And facing in the correct direction....lol.

Just an update on this muffler.

After few hundred kms the bracket "tongue" that the muffler sits on snapped and left the muffler bouncing on the bracket top and heat shield behind it, producing a hellish rattling sound as you would expect.

Probably I've tightened the bolts too much but the thing is there is no damping in the whole mounting since it didn't come with a rubber bushing.

So if you're getting one of these, along with the rust proofing, do put a rubber somewhere between the muffler and the bracket, the vibrations from a 3cyl diesel especially at idle are too much for a rigid mounting.

Also, I didn't find any drain hole in the thing.

I fitted yesterday a 1999 Smart 450 petrol 0.6 muffler on my 2002 Smart Cabrio Cdi. 

D9FC973A-9E20-4DF0-85B4-80C4505411A7.jpeg

No cat in this muffler. Also no hole for Lambda sensor since no cat. 

To make this muffler fit, all I had to do was cut inlet pipe, shorten it a wee bit and reweld pipe in place.  Obviously tack welded whilst on the car, then removed to complete weld.

Engine seems more powerful with this catless muffler. Sound is just the same as the original muffler. 

Reason for replacing muffler was cat had rattled loose. 

4 people like this

yeah, after a few monhs I noticed a rattle. seems the bracket has cracked. Just going to use a decent quality stainless clamp. Other than that it seems fine. A little smelly when sitting

the strap is what initially broke, so I put a hose clam around it, and that has been fine. The other day however, the bracket cracked, making a good rattle. I had some old conveyor belt lyiing around, so I wedged a small bit between the bracket and the muffler, and used the hoseclamp to secure it. So far, so good

Ok, almost two years, and a few broken muffler clamps (large hose clamps), and now the pipe has shattered just at the manifold clamp. Oh well, worth a try. Anybody got a good used muffler?

Get yourself a bike muffler and adapt it to the car...I did a CBR1000R for my car, sorry haven't tried it yet but it is designed for 1000cc's so should deal with our massive power plant. Plus no CAT.    I found mine off Kijiji as a new take off when the owner swapped in a performance can and kept the stock system.  I paid $25 for the whole system...a steal for sure.

BUT a bike's can is made far better than the stock muffler as there is no seems to deal with. 
Not the best I could have done visually but just a quick trial to see if it would work and ended up looking quite good imho.  Mig'd easily also.  Last pic is without rear bumper just to show how low it will be when everything is done.
Sorry no I'm not making another as the time involved wouldn't make it pay.   But if you have the time and welder why wouldn't you...!

20200912_113111.jpg

20200912_113132.jpg

20200912_114147.jpg

There ya go......30 minutes and you're all done....simple as shi.....t!.....lol.

I have wasted or enjoyed many many hours watching these folks so to speak make anything from basically nothing or repairing everything when all is lost as we would see it.   Simply amazing...!

Well worth the hours spent watching their craftsmanship that's for sure!

1 person likes this