Shunnag

HV battery ah

19 posts in this topic

Good morning all,

I just bought a smart fortwo electric drive 2015, when it is full charged, its drives only 41 miles, and when i checking the battery, it turns out it is 34.6 ah, is it bad or should I replace the HV battery?

Plz check attached picture

Thanks

IMG-20200205-WA0028.jpg

I believe the capacity of a new battery is about 52 Ah. My 2016 ED's first service report showed about that and a year later it showed about 50 Ah. A reading of 34.6 seems to indicate a loss of about 33% of capacity, which would account for your 41 mile range.

2 people like this

In hot countries like Jordan, battery powered car do suffer serious battery degradation. 

1 person likes this

17 hours ago, GMoney said:

I believe the capacity of a new battery is about 52 Ah. My 2016 ED's first service report showed about that and a year later it showed about 50 Ah. A reading of 34.6 seems to indicate a loss of about 33% of capacity, which would account for your 41 mile range.

I understand that you say it's in good condition, and no need to be changed!.

Thank you @GMoney

9 hours ago, MikeT said:

In hot countries like Jordan, battery powered car do suffer serious battery degradation. 

The wither in Jordan is not that hot, Mild weather, as i know the Cold wither is what Affects the battery life and quality, 

What do you think?

Thank you @MikeT

3 hours ago, Shunnag said:

I understand that you say it's in good condition, and no need to be changed!.

If you can make do with a 41 mile range then I guess you’re ok, but if your car was still under warranty I think that a 33% loss of capacity would entitle you to a replacement. 

1 person likes this

Cold weather also reduces range, but that's temporary, usually.  Hot weather damage is permanent.  The image you posted says your battery is bad and should be replaced.  

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, MikeT said:

Cold weather also reduces range, but that's temporary, usually.  Hot weather damage is permanent.  The image you posted says your battery is bad and should be replaced.  

Thank you @MikeT

8 hours ago, GMoney said:

If you can make do with a 41 mile range then I guess you’re ok, but if your car was still under warranty I think that a 33% loss of capacity would entitle you to a replacement. 

Unfortunately it's not under warranty, I'll keep it until it's died.

Thank you @GMoney

1 person likes this

On 7.2.2020 at 9:37 PM, GMoney said:

Exactly. 52 Ah are when the battery is new, my smart had them, back then. 34,6 Ah is pretty bad. Are you the first owner of the smart?

35 minutes ago, MineCooky said:

Exactly. 52 Ah are when the battery is new, my smart had them, back then. 34,6 Ah is pretty bad. Are you the first owner of the smart?

No I'm not the first owner, the previous owner keeps service on the Mercedes company, i make another hv test (soh) its given 90%. And there is no bad cell.

How did you make the test? The tester never gives something in percent.

Of course, it could be, that the SOH got better again. Maybe not cells where bad, but just unbalanced. Do you have a measurement of the cells from back when it showed 34,6 Ah?

Edited by MineCooky

I did it in one of the electric cars service shops, the test the hv with obd connected to PC, where Mercedes-smart software installed on it, and showed all you need to know about your car, including hv battery health, and also shows every cell condition and capacity.

Unfortunately i didn't take a picture of the test at that time, but I'm attempting to make it again, when I do it I'll take some pictures and attached it here

Edited by Shunnag
1 person likes this

On 2/28/2021 at 2:34 PM, MineCooky said:

Of course, it could be, that the SOH got better again. Maybe not cells where bad, but just unbalanced. Do you have a measurement of the cells from back when it showed 34,6 Ah?

I replaced the current sensor, could it be the reason to decrease the mileage? Cause sometimes it goes up to 110km, but all the time it's going to 70-85km.

How can i check the current sensor.

On 2/28/2021 at 2:34 PM, MineCooky said:

The range listed on the dash is an estimate based on your battery capacity, state of charge percent and recent trip.

There is a way to reset the gauge, but all that does is change was is reported, it doesn't give you more range.

Typical range is 80-100 km, you state you sometimes see 110 km, good, that means your battery is healthy.

When you see 75 km range, you possible came back from driving on the highway, or it was cold outside.

2 people like this

Thank you for replying, 

Do you think that when I replaced the current sensor could cause this problem!

Thanks again

In our country they don't like to pay any ev cars that the HV battery is opened, for any reason, they think it's caused series troubles. What do you think

How and what do you mean by "they don't like to pay any ev cars that the HV battery is opened"?