TinyDancer

I can't change gears out of Park

14 posts in this topic

This morning was bitterly cold (-21C) and I am not sure if that is a factor but I couldn't change gears out of P. The car was recently serviced for 30,000 km check. I tried running the engine for 10 minutes (it was -16C at the time) and no luck. The only indicator I noticed on the dash was the ABS light which stays on.

Any help diagnosing this or suggesting remedial action would be appreciated.

At least you got the key to turn, on my first try it was frozen solid!!!    Took another half hour of heater blasting to get it to turn...lol.   Then took 5 kms to get to 3 blobs of heat...lol.

Good luck...I use a ceramic heater inside my car which heats up the inside like a slow cooker which helps in really cold weather.

10 hours ago, TinyDancer said:

Thanks I thought it might be because of the cold. Brake lights work

Not sure about your car or not, but my 2005 both leak like a siv...lol...check under your floor carpeting/sound proofing to see if it's frozen down or after a warm drive soaking wet?  If it is the condesation of those vapors will float and freeze onto whatever they see fit.   That's one of the reasons I wired in a ceramic heater into the front block or oil pan heater system and let it heat the inside as well as clearing the glass all around. Just make sure when you plug it in it's not facing anything metable or flamable. I simply leave it loose and move it to the rear when not in use. I have it up against the passenger door facing inwards when running.  Half an hour or so the whole car is toasty warm.   IF you find water on your floorboards then during the summer research where your model leaks typically from and seal it up better.  It's a never ending search.....but it's possible.

@Willys  Thanks I will look into the idea of a heater. I am not mechanically inclined but will see if my mechanic will be able to do that.

1 hour ago, TinyDancer said:

@Willys  Thanks I will look into the idea of a heater. I am not mechanically inclined but will see if my mechanic will be able to do that.

Does your car have the little plug in the front bumper grill in front of the driver to plug in  oil pan heater?  IF so take a look under the carpet in front of the passenger seat for an extension cord type thing just near the battery, probably used for a battery blanket heater..? The plug at the front will have a 3 pronged round plug unlike a house hold design that uses a short extension cable which you plug into house power?   I have 2    2005 450 which have this, so unsure if your car has such a plug . It is low down with a round screw type cap......if you have this you I think should have the extra plug.  I think...but could be completely wrong...lol.  

IF you have no block heater or oil pan heater and want one installed by a mechanic, get them to install a second plug or extension cord wired into the same main power wire.  You can buy the stick on heat pads from Canadian Tire for roughly $100 get the 250 WATT version.....I think there is a thread here somewhere you can search and read about them.  They work but must be installed on a dry warm engine with a very clean oil pan, either scrapped clean etc then I added the heat resistant sealant all around the edges to make a complete seal etc.   I would do it for you except I can't get your car inside my shop as my summer car is taking all space up.  But if you want it done when the warmer weather gets here, let me know. 

@Willy

So am I right to surmise that the problem with the shift not moving out of Park is likely related to the very cold weather on Friday(-21C). Is it likely to occur in more moderate temperatures or get worse as time progresses? I will have a look to see if the plug is on the grill but off hand I don't think it is. It is a 2013 ForTwo Pure

The front floor carpet was frozen and soaked in water

Edited by TinyDancer

2 hours ago, TinyDancer said:

The front floor carpet was frozen and soaked in water

If the carpet is "soaked in water", I would suggest drying it out ASAP.  Aside from the mold problems that can arise, there is the fact that when temps are high enough in the cabin to keep the soaked carpet from freezing, it will make the moisture content of the air quite high.  This can cause problems with electronics.

As said above, when the better weather comes, you can pull your carpets out or fold them up and let the sun bake them dry.  Trying now will be a waste of your time imho as the car will continue to leak until you find the entry point.  Not sure if your model has the plastic rear side windows or not, but if it does the water usually pours in behind them just for starters. I took mine out, then cleaned it all up then siliconed them back on place, that stopped that leak, then on to the next area. The front windshield. Check along the area directly under the windshield rubber on the inside to look for any traces of a drip or run usually around the lower corners or in the middle......mine was dusty and it showed up easily. You could use baby powder  before a major rain storm and check that way if you want...it'll vacuum up easily but the information is key to solving the wet carpeting issue. 
As noted above, wet carpets and a dripping dash usually means your SAM or fuse box will get wet which results in corroded plug ins and internals....a common problem. It can be easily fixed and cleaned if you have the problem......both condensation and actual dripping will screw up your SAM unit.  I'm not 100% sure about your year if it suffers from the bad cold solder joints on a specific row of pins inside your SAM like the earlier versions do. Again easily fixed if you are handy with a soldering iron. Research SAM issues.  Then there is another grey silver box on my year 2005 CDI that was installed by transport canada that suffers from water damage also....again cleaning and relocation is key for this one as well.  Then you will also have the issue with bad grounding pins because of the water inside under your carpeting. Again another easy fix, simply undo them all and clean and grease and retighten. Same goes for battery ....IF you play with any electronics I highly recommend disconnecting your battery power at the battery as not to spark any electronics as they are expensive.   IF you can hold a wrench in the correct position and work a screw driver you can do all these simple fixes and not have to pay a shop to do them for you, especially a dealership.
During the warmer months I could help out if you are stuck for far less than what a dealership charges...lol.  Criminals.!   But will try and explain anything you need help with any time.

The 2013 year makes it a 451, and they are not known for leaking.  As cold as it was, hard to see how any liquid could have made it into the interior.....:unsure:

14 minutes ago, jwight said:

The 2013 year makes it a 451, and they are not known for leaking.  As cold as it was, hard to see how any liquid could have made it into the interior.....:unsure:

If it did leak it didn't leak at these temps...lol....as you said.....it happened probably weeks or maybe months ago.  Once your carpets are soaked it take serous heat to dry them out, so unless it's causing definate electrical issues I'd be waiting for a very warm sunny day, or if you have a good dry garage that you can heat...get the heater inside and cook her....CAREFULLY!

The first few winters in my 451, I had issues with brake lamp switches acting up.  Car would not shift out of Park or ABS/ESP would fail during driving after brakes were applied.  Temps below -20 C and wet carpets from melted snow seemed to be main causes.  I have very large floor mats for winter use and refrain from running heat to the floor area.  No issues since.