Sydney

axle torque

10 posts in this topic

quick question on axle torque.

after using a commercial impact gun to remove the rear axle bolts  (axle to hub),  i seem to think they were but on way to tight.

evolution says to torque them to 30nm + 90deg.   so after doing the math.  22ft/lbs + another half turn.

what is every ones thoughts?

all this bolt does is hold the axle in the hub...    

I agree, mine also were impact gun installed...very tight when I came to undo them.   I do not like the small amount of torque the book says personally...mine get burped up more than what it recommends...lol. But not stupid tight.  Yes all it does it hold the axle shaft deep in the wheel bearing, as it can't really fall out easily. But it can come out far enough to damage bearing if it did loose bolt, no...?   Maybe fall out completely if suspension is fully extended??   I'm not risking it, they get burped up and I use blue loctite!     To each their own....they are a big enough bolt to handle it, why not..?

1 person likes this

Rear axle bolt also holds rear wheel bearing together and if bolt comes loose you may loose your rear roadwheel.

The torque is not particularly high and the only tool I use to crack them loose is a socket, extension and a ratchet. I suggest you eat more porridge if you struggle with that bolt.

Engine pulley bolt is torqued much higher, allegedly to 140Nm + 90° angle turn.  You can exercise and gain strength on that one.

1 person likes this

Hmmmm.....? You think you couldn't nut on that bearing without that shaft in there, forgeting it wouldn't drive...I bet it would work just like the front one no...? There isn't any inward or outward forces being delivered on that bearing from the drive shaft....?
Just curios that's all...?

I only use air gun as I undo it while it's off the ground normally but the first time I had to use large 1/2" breaker bar to loosen that axle bolt....and I like porridge, stiff that is with sugar and milk to moisten it....lol...not like diareaha.....lol.

12 hours ago, Sydney said:

30nm + 90deg.   so after doing the math.  22ft/lbs + another half turn.

what is every ones thoughts?

my thoughts is your math sucks :P

90 degrees is a quarter turn....half turn would be 180...and that would be way too tight

I did the same thing, but not for this thread...lol...half turn then realized my mistake...lol    Even still, doesn't seem that tight does it?  When i was torquing my engine lower half bolts to a specific torque they asked for the extra 90 degrees, it sure felt like the bolts were taking all they could take....it was worrying....why can't they just place a torque number on the bolts and not add the extra twist...? Just curious?  No I didn't do half a turn just the 90 degrees I realized it before actually touching the bolts ...lol.  Just curious?  I thought about setting the torque wrench up to see what it ended up being, but didn't wish to risk damaging the block or bolts just to make me sleep well...lol

why can't they just place a torque number on the bolts and not add the extra twist...? Just curious

bolts that give a degree after an initial torque are relying on the bolt itself stretching ...they are called "torque to yield" and shouldnt actually ever be reused

Edited by LooseLugNuts

9 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

my thoughts is your math sucks :P

90 degrees is a quarter turn....half turn would be 180...and that would be way too tight

lol.   your correct.