DonnaPate

New to site, shocks and struts?

10 posts in this topic

Ok, I've had my 2009 smart fortwo Passion for a bit over a year. I LOVE the forums. So much useful information! Anyway, I once read about shocks? Struts? I forget. It was an after market set someone installed and said the ride was so much nicer that their wife would finally ride with them. Well.... I can't find that forum or topic I found before. I'm ready now! It's my smart car's turn for sprucing up. Any suggestions? I have a bumpy driveway and it just seems so bad for my car! Lol

My ESP stays on after about 20 minutes of driving 80mph, going to start with my speed sensors. My brake light gets rain water collecting in it... sucks, I carry extra bulbs. Going to try rubber cement! My speakers are blown... unfortunately looks like allot of trouble to take the inner door apart, so fixing that at a radio shop. 

Alignment... the Mercedes dealer here doesn't do smart. I can't find a shop with a rack that will fit my car. Suggestions on that? Probably end up taking a trip to Houston. 

Thank you for any help! Love my little pink car!

20200120_042018.jpg

Welcome to the site. 

Love the colour of your smartie.

Most tire specialty shops should be able to do the alignment.

Welcome to the site.....if a softer ride is what you are seeking simply go after new stock suspension parts, most if not all after market suspension kits are to lower and stiffen the ride and handling capabilities....imho.   Get the alignment shop to check for broken front springs, the very top section of the coil, well known to snap after a good pothole hit etc. The ESP warning light is also a broken reluctor ring not so much the sensor. But both can go bad. Rust is what snaps the rings, simple removal and cleaning and installation of a new ring and some paint should solve that. I epoxied mine back on to help with sealing the rust out.To each their own. Door skin should only take time to get it off  with some patience.....once you get one off the next one will be easy...lol..  Take pics and or video so you can simply reverse the procedure to install it.
Enjoy and again welcome.

Tires with a taller, softer sidewall will return better results for comfort.

6 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

Tires with a taller, softer sidewall will return better results for comfort.

The only way to get this is to install a lift kit of 2 inches I'm afraid, and then tire sizes are better......to choose from.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The OP has a 451, 450 restrictions and problems do not necessarily apply. A 185/60R15 tire will fit on a 451.

Edited by Huronlad
1 person likes this

It's that 60 number that is the killer, we need more side wall height...lol.

But you'll loose cornering ability if that is what you crave also....as it'll get progressively more spongy the tall you get. You know the 70's land yaht feel....lol

Lose cornering ability going from 155/175 tires to 185 all around, I think not.

39 minutes ago, Huronlad said:

Lose cornering ability going from 155/175 tires to 185 all around, I think not.

That isn't the important number, that is the treat width and thus you are correct, but the height number is the 60, it is from basically rim to the ground, that is where you get a softer ride from, more cushion so to speak. So the higher that number the softer the ride....  Handling increases when that number goes down and then you also add in your number tread width and you'll stick like glue but the ride is hardened also.  I'm an old tire man, loved it....started with cars, then agricultural then transport with earth moving construction machinery....been there done that so to speak...but you may see differently, your choice.

With over 200k km of experience driving a 451 with 155/175, 215/215 and 185/185 tire sets, I stand by my statement.  You can not assume all sidewalls are constructed exactly the same for a given size of tire, as they certainly are not.  Speed rating is a better determining factor as to the stiffness of a sidewall.

1 person likes this