Huronlad

Linux Mint or Windows 10 to replace Windows 7

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does anyone have experience changing from Windows 7 to either Windows 10 or Linux Mint?  I have used Windows 10 two or three times and do not really care for the interface. 

It appears most of the software I use has a Linux equivalent.  Has anyone switched to Linux and wished they had not?

Edited by Huronlad

I am considering moving to Linux as I also do not like Windows 10 so will follow this thread with interest.  

Even though Windows 7 is no longer supported, I am sticking with it.  I ended up with Windows 10 for a short while last summer and it was total crap! 

I told my local computer guy to please switch it back, knowing full well that in January, support for it would end.   I am now using Windows 7 again and much happier for it.   

I think I will backup my one laptop and install Linux and see how it goes.  

I'll admit my biases up front, I have been a unix user, mostly Linux, since the mid 90's; it does everything I need for home and work.

For the most part it doesn't really matter what system you are running, you get used to it's quirks and it's way of doing things and they become normal. If you're OK with a little frustration as you learn how Linux does things and learn which application do what, go for it. If you aren't happy with it you can always replace it, but at least you don't have to spend any money to find out if it will do the job you need. For most people, you need a web browser and basic tools (documents, image viewers, pdf viewers, etc) and those have existed for just about every platform for decades.

My mother used Linux for her last 10-15 years, largely with no support from me, she would search the internet for answers and would ask me questions only in very rare cirumstances. She was a smart woman, but she was definitely a product of her generation; so if she could do it I can't see why any other intelligent person couldn't also. Most Operating Systems install and work pretty easy "out of the box" and have for a long time.

Mrs. Leadwing (Spike) was working flawlessly with Window 98se until last fall.  Her only issues were the inability to access her bank account online.  Her laptop has since been upgraded to Windows 7.  Now, EVERYTHING works.  Her banking access, scanners, printers and everything else.

I bitched and complained every time they upgraded windows, but after a while just accepted the BS and moved on, it's far easier than relearning a new system, which also has it's issues and bugs I imagine.....it's all what you get used to I think.....no...?
What am I missing by not learning Linux...?    Just curious.....lol....will it help fix a smart car better over windows.....or will it teach me how to navigate better through the STAR computer...if so...maybe I'll need to learn that too...lol

20 minutes ago, Willys said:

I bitched and complained every time they upgraded windows, but after a while just accepted the BS and moved on, it's far easier than relearning a new system, which also has it's issues and bugs I imagine.....it's all what you get used to I think.....no...?
What am I missing by not learning Linux...?    Just curious.....lol....will it help fix a smart car better over windows.....or will it teach me how to navigate better through the STAR computer...if so...maybe I'll need to learn that too...lol

For most people, Windows, Mac, Linux, doesn't really matter. Use what you're used to, what you prefer and carry on.

As for what you are missing with the Smart.....well, Linux can provide some help. There is CAN support in the system and software to manipulate it, all for the usual cost of zero dollars, so you could debug, extend, or otherwise modify the CAN bus in the car, for example. Can you do that in Windows or Mac? Probably, but I suspect the tools cost a tad more.

Want to reprogram some chips in the car? Much of those tools also exist and also cost the same, zero dollars. It's a great platform for tinkers.

1 person likes this

window 10 works fine for me

but im much younger than most of these old farts and im able to adapt to advancing technology

:P

1 person likes this

Installed Linux Mint on one of my laptops today.  The install was very quick.  A trial version of Mint runs if you setup the installer on a USB drive, making no changes to your system. 

The install has resolved some driver issues that I could not fix in Windows.  Now I am making the switch from Chrome back to Firefox for my browsing needs.   Chrome seemed more stable in Windows, so I do not know if this will be a permanent switch.

I will also have to find Linux equivalent software for some of the software I was running in Windows.  But many apps I was using do have Linux versions.

So far so good.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

Still working on adding software.  I miss Bitlord but will have to make do.  Finding a solution to update my Garmin GPS looks like it might be a bit of a pain.

Edited by Huronlad