Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stickman007

Garage broken into...

27 posts in this topic

Just a general rant....

My garage was broken into last night...they didn’t take much as it looks to be just somebody checking the place out, but they took my STAR C3 and kwp2000+??! They were both sitting inside silver hand held case...some hand tools and my VAGCOM cable is gone too. They went through my tool box, but didn’t take the majority of the things inside.

I moved out of the city back in Oct to an acreage outside of Stoney Plain hoping to avoid exactly this kind of crap.

At least they didn’t take my Smart car? Battery was disconnected but the key was in the ignition.

Bastards!

Damn IZZY, sorry to hear this.  Time to invest in camera system and better yet a sign stating that you have them. I have 8 cameras here running 24/7 I used to get when I first moved in the local teenagers etc walking by and even one group walked up my driveway while i was working inside. They hadn't seen me and kept sniffing, until I came out demanding why they were on my driveway. Their answer was simple......they were just curious as to what I had.....no shit! I explained to them I am not the sort who would call the police but hunt them down after the fact!  I instantly went out to buy the security system that weekend. I have 4 easily seen camera, with night capabilities, and 4 you can't see unless you get close enough to find them. BUT....after installing the cameras, I didn't install the required signs telling folks they are being recorded by law, go figure...!  I still had people looking at my property as a target.....so after learning I could be in trouble legally for not telling folks they were being recorded etc, I installed signs where anyone could see and read from the road. I own just over an acre so there is plenty of opportunity to place signs....lol.   No-one walks up my driveway any longer peeking at my stuff. It stopped the second I installed the signs stating I have video servalance(?)....so before you install cameras get some professional signs made up and place them where people can easily read them!  I bet that'll work...lol.    Camera systems are great to catch them for court use but the thieves get a slap on the wrist now a days anyway......so maybe a beware dog bites sign also?  Not to forget "the first shot won't be a warning shot" sign...lol.   So, arm yourself with the tools to stop them, I bet the signs will work.  Again sorry to here about the loss......I wonder could you put the STAR through your ins. claim..? New computer and all.  But it'll be a hit on your rates I bet.....damn!

I bought a security camera system in Nov...just haven’t had time to install it yet. Will be a priority now.... in the mean time, we bought a hunting camera and mounted it in a tree near the garage in hope that it’ll see something next time around.

Should really buy a gun.... :(

1 minute ago, stickman007 said:

I bought a security camera system in Nov...just haven’t had time to install it yet. Will be a priority now.... in the mean time, we bought a hunting camera and mounted it in a tree near the garage in hope that it’ll see something next time around.

I was going to suggest the latter, but didn't know what your thoughts were on that topic...lol.
It's something I am also working towards personally.   I am starting to like the high powered pellet rifle target shooting,  But if I am forced to get paperwork for that I will also buy a self protection tool just to have. Which probably will be just another tool I will never actually use.  But as the saying goes, if you need it it's there better to have the tool and not need it than to need the tool and not have it......or something like that...lol.   I'm not a hunter so really have no use for serious tooling.

5 minutes ago, stickman007 said:

When you install your system, place half your cameras where they are easily spotted, so the idiot few will see them and move on, the serious fools will work around those and get caught by the hidden few. That's my theory any way.  You just need a face shot to take to court. Or add to the ever going list of targets to hunt on your days off...lol.
Also the signs must be ledgable from the road and your cameras can't record cars driving down the road.....I have it so if you are reading my mail box I can see you, also you can't step foot on my property without being recorded.  Make a camera very in your face while people are walking to your front door and standing there waiting for you to answer the door bell. You'll surprised at how many people see the camera and react to it as if caught doing something even when they aren't....lol.

A couple choices for signage

s-l225.jpg

7aa44492c9f28e3c21b83f6661c684a3--funny-shit-funny-stuff.jpg

scary-signs18.jpg

ffff.jpg

3 people like this

I had very simple official looking signs made up, as not to make fun of the issue. But I agree with the one that says......"IF you can read this you are within range"     I almost put one similar to that on my mail box, but the mail inspector, yes there is someone who inspects mailboxes, go figure, said if I am recording them delivering my ail they will not deliver it!  No shit!!!!   I was going to put a sign saying...."IF you are reading this I am recording your face, I love a good hunt"
So, no sign on mail box.....I couldn't believe that they had mail box inspectors.....FFS....!!!!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited) · Report post

i have cameras but they dont help much...it just shows them taking shit

last year i had some trespassers ..couldnt see what they took and havent noticed anything missing yet but since then i wired up a 12v siren..to a solar panel and a 12v wheelchair deep cycle battery to alert me if anyone tries to get in my tool shed ...i have a tripwire attached to a trailer breakaway switch that sets it off as soon as the door is opened more than 8 inches

pisses me off when i forget about it but someday its going to be worth the trouble

this year im upgrading with better cameras and better area coverage

file a police report for the star ...its pretty unique tool and it might show up at a pawn shop...also keep an eye on ebay ,kijiji and facebook marketplace for it

Edited by LooseLugNuts
2 people like this

Salt shot for the first two rounds, then bird shot after that for two then slugs!

In my youth I have been shot with rock salt ...it does hurt...lol.

I am so sorry to hear that!  I just PM'd you and didn't realize that this had happened.

Buggers!!! :angry:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hunting camera is working good...checked footages today and it has a good view, no trespassers though.

Im not sure why they took my STAR, kwp2000+ and Vagcom as LooseLugNut say, those are kinda unique tools that will stand out like a sore thumb. My guess is that they took whatever they saw that’s easy to carry and looked fancy (in a silver handheld case).

This scared the wife enough for us to sign up for our PAL....I guess I’m becoming more redneck! What’s next? A jacked up truck?! I do have 5 acreages...lots of places to hid the bodies.

I will be installing my security cams next weekend when it warms up a bit. It has built in siren and motion sensor activated lights with IR...

In all the complaining, they didn’t take my Audi S4 wagon or my Canada1...should count myself lucky. Also, maybe I can finally upgrade to a SDConnect C4 Mux for my STAR.

Edited by stickman007

I go for my firearms licence at the end of the month.....I too have had enough, but mainly for a high powered pellet rifle for target shooting. Above 1500fps range just so it can get to the target without falling out of the sky with the legal non pal rifles.  I will pick up a short shotgun just to keep in the house safely as per the laws of the land.

Your next purchase should be a mini excavator, far easier to dig deep enough holes, and a pallet of lime....lol

The first set of cameras my business had did not help much. I got decent footage of hooded thiefs stealing the cameras.....

The ones we have now are up high enough that you will need a serious ladder to steal them. Also have a Ring doorbell that records anybody walking up to the front of the house with an automatic notification on my cell.

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, Smart42 said:

The first set of cameras my business had did not help much. I got decent footage of hooded thiefs stealing the cameras.....

The ones we have now are up high enough that you will need a serious ladder to steal them. Also have a Ring doorbell that records anybody walking up to the front of the house with an automatic notification on my cell.

They think taking the cameras stops them from being photographed....DOH.....too little too late....lol  IF you have a face shot give it to the police, you never know?  They may already know them.  Then the next question is, dare I say, colour of skin?  You anywhere near a res.  ?

IF they come back....I'd set up motion detection bear spray canisters....soak them in it....and dye to show police who to go after...lol.   I get even one way or the other...lol  I hate thieves.....

They had their hoodies up and obviously knew where the cameras were so no straight face shots. Did have a good idea who they were and they are good ol' white boys. In those days security cameras where in hot demand by pot growers securing their grow ops.

15 hours ago, stickman007 said:

Better still, move back to BC.

1 person likes this

a system that streams and alerts to cell phone is a great idea if you have good upload speeds 

i dont recommend any thoughts of firearms or PAL

a simple baseball bat at house exits are usually good enough

i keep a brand new hickory maul handle handy which so far has only been handy for scaring large dogs away..and bears...when i see them enter the driveway i can usually beat them to the back and scare the crap out of them when they come around the corner

2 people like this

I have tru-flare bear bangers which may work well in this situation to scare them to death..far less dangerous than a weapon which shoots fire...lol   Just a thought....they work very well on bears that I do know.

The photo shows this sign posted near my 20 foot long trailer. 

The one that is attached to the main door to it ( where someone broke in last summer and stole a $400 tap & die set ) reads like this: 

ATTENTION BURGLARS 

There is nothing in this trailer worth your getting shot over.

If you are caught attempting to steal from me you WILL be shot.

If you survive, you will be shot again      

Attention Burglars.jpg

2 people like this

Due to the COVID-19 social isolation thingy that's going on now...won't be able to get our PAL.

Wife and I will be adopting a dog this week! Security cameras are finally setup. Hope this will be the end of it all...thanks for all the supporting comments and making me laugh during this stressful episode. Always can count on CsC members for support!

Izzy

the pal paperwork takes quite a while anyways...and that was before the shutdown...i cant even imagine how slow it would be now for background checks 

My Pal etc was derailed also.......Last weekend was my PAL and hunting license weekend....Snifffsniff......waaaaaaaaaaa!    Like Loose says, I can't imagine when I'll be able to get in now....worst comes to worst, I wonder if the fine will be set aside if I need to use said fire stick in an emergency....?...lol