06cdi

This SAM business grrr

5 posts in this topic

We are new Smart Car owners have had the car for a week, a used car at that--I can  only imagine the frustration these SAM failures have caused you longtime owners!!   

I'm totally unfamiliar with Mercedes Benz --this seems like a manufacturer's defect, why was this never a recall?   Bad solder and unsheilded from the dampness--geeez!  

Have any of you done anything to lessen a dampness problem--some kind of water repellant spray, or plastic cover?  I know fuses should be tight in their sockets but gosh it feels like they needed to be broken from corrosion crusties to get them out.

Thanks to the Smart Car Club community here for sharing your experiences and fantastic information.

I conformal coat mine...a bit of work, but totally worth it. I think the evilution site has instructions on drilling drainage holes in the SAM plastic case to prevent water pooling.

I do have a cluster/ecu set...but no Key fob. A new fob can be ordered online cheap and easily coded by somebody with a STAR or equivalent system. PM me if you’re interested. The ecu has the smart142 tune on it.

Izzy

1 person likes this

From what I have read here moisture on the sam is most likely from the poor windshield seal.  There are three pins that commonly cause grief one for each headlight and one for the fuel pump.  The trick is to use relays on those three circuits before the connections get real bad.  After that the best repair is to open the sam and solder in bypass wires around those pins and still use the relays.

I see Izzy just responded, he is one of the better guys with the electronics on this site.

1 person likes this

The fuses have a tab that holds them in which needs to be flipped to get them out easily, if you are speaking for the larger fuses. The smaller ones easily pull out.

After I repaired my SAM I coated the bad pins with clear nail polish, stole from the wife...lol.
IZZY is the electrical guy here for sure....as for the red wires soldered to your SAM there should be a good picture here of the sam and what wires go where if i recall correctly, sorry don't have it at my finger tips.  As Nigel says it's a common issue especially if your pug connectors are burnt from bad joints getting too hot. Look up the relay for all known issues and do them I would say before going too far especially buying a new SAM etc. There has to be someone close to you that has a STAR, I am about 2 hours away but I think there is a couple of guys in Toronto, maybe they will see this issue?  
When letting your son work on this car beware of him shorting anything electrical as it will fry important expensive parts....always work on car with battery disconnected at neg terminal. You will also find a silver box near the battery, it also has water issues, usually a good washing off with a tooth brush and vinegar or sensor cleaner. BEWARE.....DO NOT wash ECU, the one on the airbox trying to get green or white corrosion off pins if you can't do it without ever touching two pins together or in my case I sprayed sensor cleaner and used a tooth brush and it shorted as the capacitors discharged and fried the whole unit. My STAR couldn't fix it, I required a new to me used unit.  So beware...of electrical mistakes, they can be very expensive...lol.
The rest of the car is semi easy to work on if he has small hands, as the clearances between body and engine components isn't much at all. Lowering the engine is best I have found, either by a jack or all together dropping sub frame from car.  Also check main grounding cable running from engine to body as it also rots in two. Then go after every ground pin locations and take them all apart and clean each one as they too are notorious for no connectivity. This car demands all ground be perfect or it'll act up. There are grounding pins behind each head light if i recall correctly, check them when you do the headlight relay mod. As Nigel says do the fuel pump relay mod also.  It sounds like there is too many issues but doing them one at a time it's not that bad. Another issue is the inter cooler fan/rad has rub through problems, that can be fixed using JB-Weld if you do not want to buy a new rad.  I have done a few, takes time and patience but doable.
Look for all issues and then decide if it's too much $$$ wise it will add up if you want to buy new etc.  

The windshield is a well known leaker...mine leaks like a siv and i have tried to seal it up backyard style, simply cleaning and spreading silicon all over the rubber seal...if done well not too bad looking but not stock that's for sure. I have 2 smarts, one a winter beater and another good summer car. It's the beater that leaks bad...lol. Also the rear corner windows are leakers, take them out and silicon them in after cleaning bodywork. 
Again there are many faults as all vehicles will have after what 14 years and usually owners who love them have found ways to fix them etc etc....you have come to the right place, this is the best site for the CDI Smarts.

Good luck and keep asking questions...if we can help we will.

1 person likes this

Thanks for love guys, but I’m just another Smartie fruitcake :)

No real need to swap an entire combo, at least just yet....in most cases, the SAM can be repaired as Nigel and Willys have pointed out. Start a thread and post your symptoms.

If and when you do need someone with a STAR system, make a list of things to do all at once to make the trip worth while.