Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

Leaking Windshields

8 posts in this topic

Over the past couple of months I have had 2 smarts arrive at the shop with ''weird'' electrical problems -

eg. turn signal lights that won't turn off, lights that won't turn off, etc.

Both had had their windshields replaced by professionals.

Both had water damaged SAMS

Both were leaking in the lower middle of the windshield.

Repairing or replacing the sams is a costly procedure.

I guess the lesson to be learned is to ensure that you get a written guarantee from the company that is replacing your windshield.

2 people like this

lol....you've seen the beater's goo'd up windshield and it still leaks...!!!!!!   FFS.....no way water gets in around the out side surface as it's completely sealed so somehow it is getting under the outer seal either from under the front body work or somewhere else, maybe even from the roof gutters, which again have been goo'd solid.....it's a loosing battle...lol.    It is what is upsetting my Beater's running  I'm sure.   Plus my carpets are soaked not frozen any more....augh!

Before I goo'd mine all up I did everything but take the glass out. I even lifted the bottom of the glass up enough as to get the seal partially out so I could acetone it clean and dry and also bodywork and glass before goo'ing it all back in place.  It still leaks!  But I never thought you could be able to insert a large flathead screwdriver between glass and body and twist it and lift the glass up like I did...!   I'm surprised the glass stayed in..!

Just a question what part of the SAMs were damaged? The typical row or somewhere else?  Thanks.

After major water incursion into my SAM which I attributed more to cold weather (air conditioning ?) condensation collecting on the SAM wiring harness and wicking into the SAM connectors, I placed a sponge between the wiring harness and the SAM at the top of the SAM.

Six years later of continuous outdoor parking and no further issues.

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, smartdriver said:

After major water incursion into my SAM which I attributed more to cold weather (air conditioning ?) condensation collecting on the SAM wiring harness and wicking into the SAM connectors, I placed a sponge between the wiring harness and the SAM at the top of the SAM.

I might see if I can spare any toilet paper, no just kidding......tin foil and semi wrap it to maybe help stop the water from simply dripping onto it, allow it to hit the top and roll off...maybe?   The best way would be to dip the board or paint the entire board in some solution that's water proof. BUT, when it's time to get at any pins etc, it'll be very difficult. 
I worked for a satelite disk company way way back when they were 10 feet across and us cheaters needed them rewired/jumped to get free TV. Those boxes were a nightmare to find the correct pins and resolder/jump circuits from one place to another.  I did countless boards back then. They were basically a big block of epoxy...stupid, but it definately slowed us down.....a heat gun and picks and you could get it off, but what a mess...!   But I really didn't do that, it must have been someone else...lol.
Our SAM is a simple thing to work with in that respect.  A simple coating that washes off with acetone and a Q-Tip.   after repairs siply coat with clear nail polish.....it too can be cleaned off using acetone.

On 3/15/2020 at 1:59 PM, smartdriver said:

do you have a Picture of the sponge install please? I need to do this

sprinkle some talc along the bottom outside edge of windshield and then slam the door with the windows up...

if you see a big puff you might as well properly reseal the windshield instead of adding sponges

i never noticed how bad mine was until one day with light snow i slammed the door and seen the snow fly...

Edited by LooseLugNuts

4 hours ago, ptooti said:

do you have a Picture of the sponge install please? I need to do this

Sorry, I don't have a picture that would help.

Above your knees on the driver's side is a cardboard fiber shield which must be removed to expose the SAM.

The wiring harness connectors plug into the top of the now exposed SAM. There is space between all the wires in the harness and the top surface of the SAM.

It is a simple matter to insert a kitchen sponge between the wiring harness and the top of the SAM. The Sam does not have to be removed.

Edited by smartdriver
1 person likes this

My windowshield definitely doesn't seal on the passenger side, but my water ingress was through the rear side windows - don't forget to check there. My battery was floating and my floors are rusty!