Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
06cdi

Refinish plastic rear quarter windows

2 posts in this topic

Can the rear quarter windows (plexi-glass?) be refinished like the headlights can be when they are sandblasted and or discoloured from road grime and UV?  Ours are not so much windows right now lol.

I expect they can be, but many tint them black.....it's very hard to see back there anyway because of the high back seats. I nearly ran an old man over when I first got my car, he was in that blind spot, before I tinted those windows...!!!   I just happen to catch movement in the mirror and stopped, he wasn't impressed....and I'm 61 also...lol.  I did the silly thing after that and installed a back up camera......no more blind spots.  I have always said, if you can't back up your car it's time to hang up the keys....lol.  Sorry can't do that so did what was needed to never allow it to happen again. It works well, looks silly considering how small the car is, can't you park this thing...? It's the size of a golfcart, whats wrong with you...?   lol....BUT....I know a few owners who admit it's very hard to actually get this golfcart backed into a parking spot straight the first time. But it doesn't matter because you can almost park it side ways any way and still not get blocked in...lol.

What you will find with those windows is, they leak like a siv.  Take them out and reseal with caulking of your choice imho. I use the 100% silicon version...lol. Locked in no leaks  BUT in big temp swings you can hear them wanting to expand.  They are plastic so they won't shatter.

IF you wish to tint them there is a spray tint that works but it takes many coats to get it good looking. At least it's what I found.   If I were to do it again I would simply paint them black on the inside. You also tint on the inside using the spray. Canadian Tire sells it, or autozone