06cdi

N11-5 brown plug to SAM

27 posts in this topic

Hiya folks--got our used parts yesterday -yay!

But first we have to deal with the existing messy wireing job --I think we need a new N11-5 brown plug--with some wiring attached to splice -----would anyone here know if this kind of plug is shared with anything else to help broaden my seach? 

I guess with enough gumption we could rebuild the plug--wires are coming toose out the top --it fits tight though lol.

Stay healthy everyone!

ebay...junkyards 

ive seen a few for sale

also im pretty sure ive seen posts where people got them from mercedes dealers

1 person likes this

Thanks LLN--I've started calling wreckers and called the local MB dealer--they only sell the entire harness.  Never thought of ebay though :)

i mean the small wreckers ...the big ones wont sell small things 

sometimes for small stuff you have to go to a upull type place and cut it off yourself while youre buying something else

are you sure its the 11-5 you need?...i think the problem one is usually an n11-3

Junkyards will be your best bet I imagine but the ones which you could go find the parts yourself if they still do that around you. Some do up here and they do have a few smarts, but it's a mud pit at the moment.  It would be cheap from this guy, they're crackheads and thursday is shaky day, best day to go in with small notes...lol

Willys--Save yer energy for smelt fishing lol.   I called a place where we  could pick off a carcass as they had a few Smarts--not sure of the years.

Thanks LLN for the flying tiger link!   I'm guessing the link you sent was the N11-3 black---I notice next down below on that page the brown one .

2 minutes ago, 06cdi said:

Willys--Save yer energy for smelt fishing lol.   I called a place where we  could pick off a carcass as they had a few Smarts--not sure of the years.

Thanks LLN for the flying tiger link!   I'm guessing the link you sent was the N11-3 black---I notice next down below on that page the brown one .

IF you find a intact car with all the plugs, I'd get a few just to be safe....and two E-Boxes, also all the clip on fuses that sit on the side of the SAM.    Look for that little white connecter in the battery box or well, as it is a bad one also.   Check for the tow loop as well....always a good  thing to have.  OH....take as many front clip screw the ones that hold on the front fender next to the door, I think there's 4 or 5 down the fender lip. Also see if the front smiley face has all it's clips, if so buy it, most have clips missing and they rattle.  IF you do not have inside mirror adjustment capable mirrors  and they work well, buy those also unless you have electric mirrors. Check for hard door glove box bin covers compared to the floppy mesh ones....they are better once you get used to them. IF they do not know what the price for a rear glass is worth and want like $100 for it, buy it, it's worth $450...!  Also the gas shocks for it. IF it has paddle shift steering wheel , and it's cheap buy it as it can be added to your car with a STAR easily. The speaker boxes are good to have also, if it has tweeters on the dash it should have the speaker boxes also, they make a huge difference over the crappy cheaper model stereo and again a simple STAR upgrade to bump the original radio to make the upgraded speakers work better.   OR swap in an after market radio. Again simple.  I'm sure I'm missing things.....it all depends upon what you want, but if buying is cheap it's best to buy when you find these parts. Those fender screws are always easily lost so spares are required, ask me how I learned.lol    Maybe a front good steel wheel if you want a spare to put behind passenger seat.

Geesh---to make matters worse we've gone and confused ourselves: 

Which is which---brown plug is N11-3 or N11-5?    We may have put them in each other's holes--both 12 pins.

Seeing those parts on Flying Tiger has been so helpful LLN!

Disregard the previous---LLN is indeed correct it is the N11-3.

We have them in the wrong hole as well.     

If I can figure out howto get a pic up you'll see how the plug looks like it's been chewed on and resoldered ---then later up the wires it looks like an old timey car stereo electrician tape wiring job.

2 hours ago, 06cdi said:

If I can figure out how to get a pic up you'll see how the plug looks like it's been chewed on and resoldered

You can post any image saved in your computer to this site as long as it isn't too big.  If you try to post it, you will be notified that the file (photo) is too big.  Take the photo and resize it and try again.  Anything under 700 pxl "should" be fine.

my first thought was "yikes"

then i remembered that my cabrios connector was so melted it was converted to a two piece connector and a mess of wires with 3 relays added

one of the headlight feeds was so bad i had to run both relays from just one feed

looks like someone had all the pins out and was using needle nose pliers

the one with copper strands sticking out is for the fuel pump

Lol----a needle nose and a lot of swearing.

It's sure nice to have someone who knows what they're looking at!

Why in the world do they even get so hot as to melt the plastic?   They're Mercedes Benz for crying out loud, you'd think they'd have it figured out.   Is the wire gauge too small?   Is it the headlights and the heat from the bulb travels the short distance along the copper to the SAM?

pins and wires are too small

full bulb and pump current are flowing

they should have used relays (which is why we keep recommending the relay mod)

my cabrio was full of damage....and yet my coupe (same years) with more kms on it still looked brand new ...maybe some batches also had low quality metal used or something

use whatever is available

i used some from princess auto because they came with wires and a plug

there should be plenty of threads here about relay mods

Edited by LooseLugNuts

12 hours ago, 06cdi said:

Sketch2640626.png

WOW !!  It looks like someone went in there with a blowtorch! 

IF this was done by anyone with a license he needs it to be taken off him....!    This is something a 12 year old kid would do.....I wouldn't even plug this in in fear it would on it's own fry your electronics....no way!   Get to that junk yeard and cut a few of these connectors with as much wire as you can to repair what's left of your wiring harness.  Then possibly look at the SAM in that scrap car as in open it up and see what it's circuit board is like, IF burnt up or bad, simply take the outer case off it and buy just that for peanuts saying that the circuit board was garbage. Only if the female side of the connector is good and your is questionable.   When you find a good donor car in the scrap yard and you can pick at it, it's best to get everything you can when you are there and not think you can go back and get it later....9 times out of 10 someone else will need that item you think you'll come back for. Especially if you can get good prices for the small stuff, like these things.  Wreckers don't treat smart cars with care I have found and simply push them around thinking there's nothing worth saving.  UNTIL a few people start asking about them, then the lights go on and they research on their computer system. That's how i found out the back window was $450 used! 

This may help.  Click on the thread title, I don't know why the stupid image appeared.

Edited by MikeT

We reading these links--good stuff in there thank you!

Yesterday our son went out to remove the speedo pod --the videos show you simply use a torx 10 screw drive and POP! off it all goes---on our car the bolts were striped out, finally got two to come out with a torx 8 or 9, 10 did not fit--he stripped them out trying--- had to drill out the last two--got refreshed on all the french swear words my Dad taught me and now pass on to my son lol  Now looking to source replacement bolts.

1 person likes this

Hi everyone--hope all are healthy and not too shack whacky yet.  

To update-- We are waiting on the dellivery of the brown plug from Flying Tiger.  The upped the price on us about $100.00cd from the listed price shown above--they said MB raised the price on them so have to pass it on--angering but we have it and hope it's a smooth enough replace proceedure.  MB was about the same in $ -we are paying a bit more for convenience of it coming to the house.  

My son pulled off the ECU--we saw online that most times the bolts are corroded in place and sure enough he broke most off.  He got the replacement back on with the remaining 2 good bolts--should we silicone seal it in place to make a good seal to the air box?

Yeah--corroded bolts--we have had to break or drill out almost every bolt we've touched on this thing--even after spraying with penetrating stuff.  Is there a shared or common source for torx like Canadian tire where we can get replacements?   Destroyed ECU and dash bolts.

Stay safe folks!