Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
06cdi

Greetings

4 posts in this topic

Hello everyone--I've been posting quite a bit lately and thought I better check in.

We bought a 2006 Fortwo Pure cdi for our 19yr old hearing impaired son to tinker on and to eventually teach our teen kids how to drive--a fun project.    We got the car local for $900.   

The body of the car looks real good, the interior is dirty as it was used to ferry cleaning supplies between jobs by the PO.  He told us the fusebox was the problem right from the get go.  It took him having his mechanic replace the alternator and starter with brand new units and digging into the SAM (trying to fit a second SAM, that did not fix it)  before he called it a day on the car---he would put more into the car than it was worth to him.  We figure that whatever we put into it it may come up to what a low price used Smart might go for with the added bonus of our son learning a few things on a car on which we know where the big head ache is---not buying a used one and being surprised on the 410.  (not to say that won't happen lol)

We took it home, played around a bit, doing a bunch of research with it trying to figure out the SAM thing.  We have a way to go yet--need to fix the wiring harness, replace the SAM, ECU, speedo pod and key, clean inside and out make sure the brakes work bla, bla ,bla... a work in progress :) Then get it safetied and licensed.

This is a complicated little car compared to our usual good weather daily driver 1969 Beetle!

We are so thankful for the help quickly offered us already--it's a great site!   Thank you.

Stay healthy everyone!

Welcome aboard.

This is a great site for finding info on these little cars.

Yes they have their quirks but what doesn't.

Don't be afraid to ask someone should be able to get answer for you.

Had a bunch of the air cooled bugs over the yrs 61, 65, 70, 74 super last one was a 71 1800 manx dune buggy.

Welcome to the site....as you have found out already, there are many great people here who'll do their best to help where ever they can .....the previous owner did two of the nastier jobs for you...lol. So imho you got a good enough deal for the car.  Only Glenn seems to find them cheaper ...just don't know how he does it...lol.  Buying a parts car is a good thing, but you have already separately bought the major items that I would go after in a parts car, so unless you find a good wreck I wouldn't do it personally. All the safety items are cheap enough brand new I found at a place in Germany, yes Germany...even after exchange and shipping.....go figure.  MW_SMART, google them.  Just for a comparisn ....
Again welcome.