Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
autovel

06 CDI hiccups and hesitation in take off

6 posts in this topic

My car started to suffer from hiccups when accelerating in low gears and mid revs (seems to be particularly bad at around 2000RPM); when this happens sometimes the car makes a backfiring sound as well.

The problem has just gotten worse recently with a bad hesitation in take off and the hiccups are making the cracking very rough and shaky. Just checked the oil and cleaned the air filter, car had a check engine light for a while now and has no muffler on it.

Have been working on the car and at least for now it seems the problem has gone, here is a list of what I did:

- replaced Air Filter and cleaned the Intake Vent (car had a greased up K&N filter on it, if someone is interested I can clean it up and ship it for free, still I don't see why would this car need a HP filter, can't believe 0.8 turbo diesel is air restricted by design

- replaced the fuel filter following the very useful guide from CANMAN (getting that water sensor out was a real struggle!) and filled up the tank with around half liter of CRC-1 Tank Power Renew for Diesel (was on sale at CT)

IMG_20200411_184743-min.jpg

If someone is interested in the crown plastic sleeve I can ship it for free (the MANN filter doesn't need it as it has no step on the bottom of it)

- pulled out the boost pressure sensor and cleaned it and put some tape on the harness (my car has this red emulator looking thing and the MAP is not bolted on the engine but was free to move around)

The car has an overboost code on it, hopefully will deal with that on my soon to come visit to Uncle Glenn. :)

IMG_20200412_104612-min.jpg

Also I tried to run the car on Diesel Purge for a really good injector cleaning but failed miserably: pulled fuse 16 from the box to kill the feed pump and plugged on the return and feed lines to the car (you can easily short circuit the tank lines as well as shown).

I then hold my breath and try to crank the car several times, but even with me trying to prime the thing with my mouth I I realized I was just going to kill the high pressure pump and stopped; ended up giving up and driving home with diesel fumes filled mouth....

This engine really needs a good priming when the fuel lines are opened; after putting back everything in place (remember the fuse 16!) and turning ignition on and off for 10 times (I could hear the bubbles in the lines bleeding away) the car cranked on the very first attempt.

Strange of how many videos show the procedure done on TDIs, TDCIs and other CDI engines that crank up right from the Diesel Purge bottle, specially engines that done come with the feeder pump as some TDCIs.

IMG_20200412_123449-min.jpgIMG_20200412_123431-min.jpg

2 minutes ago, Willys said:

EGR and inter cooler rad and hoses...?

Yes that will be a job for Uncle Glenn I guess, intercooler definitely needs a check as well as EGR and wastegate actuator.

The hiccups were not a fuel problem (old filter had really clean diesel coming in and out of it), has to be something turbo or EGR related.

It takes a long time to get inter cooler out, and is basically a time consuming job removing bolts etc.....so IF you have the time and tools....have at it...lol.  The EGR is easily cleaned if left to soak in bucket of gasoline( I found gas to be the best to clean the carbon after trying many different chemicals recommended for the job) The inter cooler is simply easy to see if it's pooched or not, if it is, it's either a new one off ebay or the same or you can fix using JBWeld if you have patience and time(It's described here many times) The top large hose it the one that will get a hole worn into it by a wire loom, again easy to see but hard to get the part if you need to drive it back home again...? Personally I would follow Stickman007's EGR delete thread and buy his emulator and be done with it....both my smarts have had that done. It frees up plenty of room and also means you don't need to fight to get it back on....lol.

Just my suggestion.....it's not difficult just takes a long time! 

1 person likes this