Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Smarty450

Limp Mode

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello everyone

2006 Smart 450 CDI in Canada, 225,000km

Cleaned out the EGR and installed a blocker plate, EGR solenoid wiring is connected. Getting limp mode, maximum 3000 rpm, no check engine CEL light and no codes. If I unplug the EGR solenoid it will throw a code. Checked fuel filter, all good. Checked hose going to the waste gate, all good. Waste gate will move normally when the bar is pulled back and forth with plyers. 

Could this be a bad EGR solenoid? any other ideas on what can cause a limp mode without throwing a code and no cel light?

thanks

Edited by Smarty450

Welcome to the site, did you check the inter cooler rad for rub throughs on the lower front side from the plastic shroud...?    It's a well known issue sad to say. Do yourself a favor also and check all the usual nasty bits to rule them out.....corrosion on all and any connectors, yes sorry they do suffer from green or white growth on their pins from water ingress, the SAM(fuse box) has a bad issue of cold solder joints on it's circuit board(semi easy fix re-soldering) and a brown connector gets burned up from excessive heat build up making bad connections, the little silver box in from of the batter also gets water ingress damage, open it up and clean carefully and then relocate to a better position higher up, just re-route the wiring a bit, There is also a white small connector in the battery well that gets bad corrosion. The check the main battery grounding wire from engine to frame r bodywork to make sure it's still good. Then check any and all grounding pins anywhere you can find them on the car for corrosion between the eye loops that may look perfect until you separate them.........yep there is a common thread here, this car suffers from water ingress or damage and this is usually the cause of many simple issues.  Do some research on the common issues and mods for the car.....they are all mostly required to do's to keep it running perfectly. 
Again welcome to the site.

Did you have the limp mode before you cleaned the EGR?  Does the plunger move in and out freely?

And by the way welcome to the club.

Nigel

Thanks for the suggestions. The Intercooler definitely looks rough. I didnt have limp before the EGR cleaning but it was very sluggish and the EGR was plugged, and also the outlet from the egr to the engine was not sealed so it was leaking boost like crazy, after I cleaned the EGR and fixed the hose it went into limp. I am playing with the idea that the EGR plunger might have been damaged during cleaning or maybe not fully actuating so Im going to have a look at that. Can it limp with a leaky intercooler ? 

Yep......sorry.....lol.

You could just remove the EGR and use an emulator from one of the members here, he makes an excellent one, i have two here and not a complaint!

Yes I ordered some components to build an emulator as well to rule that out as a problem, thank you!

1 person likes this