Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nyx

Hello

9 posts in this topic

So got myself a diesel 2006 last year and used it to get my license. Its my cheap to work and back car. I have to drive about 45kms to work an then back every day just about. I took the car into mercedes kelowna for an inspection and just got the generic "We want 1000$ to change your axle because of a broken ABS ring", ended up getting the rings off flying tiger (jesus that shipping was expensive tho). Havent installed them yet since I got through this rural winter without the abs and esp, so dont really need them till fall .

Im planning on buying a tuning module to remap my car, just for fun no real reason. I have a blocking plate for my EGR already (might tune it out if i can do that instead, whatever happens)
My dad knew nothing about cars so I've had nothing passed down to me. Dont even have tools so have to get a local mechanic to do anything beyond swapping tires.

I bought my smart in Vernon, and the old guy I got it off of mustve been very frugal, My cabin air filter was missing when I want to replace it... and yesterday I fought to get to my fuel filter/water separator to replace it... and low and behold I find there is nothing there. in the little holder instead there is a hanging wire and two fuel lines spliced together. Not going to lie I was vivid. Explains why my fuel filter light would come on whenever I was driving through deep snow. The wire was just splashing around in the mud and slush under the car :D
My CDI has 172,000kms on it.

Ive changed the oil/filter, slapped some imperial snow dragons on it, added 5w-30 until halfway on the dipstick (Heard from the mechanic at the mercedes place that overfilling it is very bad).

I havent stuck the fuel filter on yet or the ABS rings. Its probably been like this since first change every I bet anyways... so a few more trips wont hurt. Plus I cant even install the new one because it has a gaping hole where my water sensor would go... if it had one... no clue where to buy it either unless I get the 400$ filter combo from Mercedes... a waste since I got the better filter already... and 400$ not be worth it since its been like this most of the cars life already...

Too be fair I got it for 2500$ so cant really complain about the lack of care it got I guess... the guys wife also drove insanely carefully so at least it didnt get abused.

Anyways, any suggestions on things I should do or know about? Any knowledge is appreciated!

Pollen filters were optional and I bet that car was delivered without one.  The air intake unit is the same either way.

I wonder why the guy removed the filter......not good, it's reassuring to have a water separator in these cars.

If lockdown is ever lifted and you are visiting Richmond, Eddy offers remps and OE cruise activation at (sometimes) special prices.  The former inactivates EGR which makes a blanking plate unnecessary.  The latter is a godsend on long highway drives.  Ask me how I know....

1 hour ago, Nyx said:

added 5w-30 until halfway on the dipstick (Heard from the mechanic at the mercedes place that overfilling it is very bad).

Some very good advice there.  The diesels do not like to be overfilled.  It can blow seals and spray oil all over the back end of the car.  Even filling to the marked full mark on the dipstick is not good.  Once warm, oil, like any liquid, will expand and go over the full mark.  A fellow smart owner took his car to a local garage (the mechanic works on his own drag cars) but he generally deals with American cars, so he put 4 litres into a car that should only take 2.7 litres.  The attached photo is what was drained out of his car after a few days of driving.  Fortunately, he is a gentle driver keeping speeds low.  Even more fortunate, there was no damage to the engine.

smart over-filled 01.jpg

8 minutes ago, Leadwing said:

Some very good advice there.  The diesels do not like to be overfilled.  It can blow seals and spray oil all over the back end of the car.  Even filling to the marked full mark on the dipstick is not good.  Once warm, oil, like any liquid, will expand and go over the full mark.  A fellow smart owner took his car to a local garage (the mechanic works on his own drag cars) but he generally deals with American cars, so he put 4 litres into a car that should only take 2.7 litres.  The attached photo is what was drained out of his car after a few days of driving.  Fortunately, he is a gentle driver keeping speeds low.  Even more fortunate, there was no damage to the engine.

smart over-filled 01.jpg

:o Im surprised thats not lethal to it. Mustve been quite a mess since it lost half of a liter.

Welcome to the site.....first off.....
Next, start researching all the little things that do go wrong with the car here.  There is quite the list once you do get interested in it. None really that hard to do with simple basic tool kit. Do yourself a massive favor and buy a small 3/8" drive set of torx sockets/https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/pro-point-13-pc-e-torx-trade-impact-socket-adapter-set/A-p8638298e  then a set of these...https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/13-pc-torx-bit-socket-set/A-p8842197e and a set of metric sockets  https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-pc-3-8-in-dr-metric-shallow-socket-set/A-p8343345e  https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-pc-3-8-in-dr-metric-deep-socket-set/A-p8343386e  https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-8-in-dr-100-tooth-swivel-head-ratchet/A-p8653651e  https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-pc-3-8-in-dr-impact-extension-bar-set/A-p8479925e 
This sellection should easily allow you to work on your smart without having to buy a whole tool kit  with many things you do not need.....I only chose 3/8 drive to start with.....1/4" drive is also a good idea for tight spots, also torx driver set similar to screw drivers is also a good thing.   All these can be bought from anywhere but to start out as a general low low cost purchase Princess Auto is a great place as they have a no question return policy for their products so when you break one you simply return it and get new.  Yes it's far better to buy a known quality piece but you will be spending far more for all these items and you won't need them all most of the time so why?
The issue list is semi long and you will sooner or later find most of these things an issue with your car.
SAM(fuse box) ECU(air box computer) E-BOX(sliver box near battery) fuel pump relay mod, White connector in battery well, ALL grounding pin points( all suffer from corrosion between eye loops), Main grounding strap running from engine to body or frame, EGR, Inter cooler rad(front lower edge rub through), top hose from inter cooler  get a rubbed area on the top from wire loom, headlight relay mod, Turbo waste gate rod seizes up, reluctor rings, I'm sure there is many more but these will keep you amused for a while researching them....lol

Just a thought, never work on anything electrical without first disconnecting the battery neg, SAMs, ECUs and Speedo's are all expensive items which could easily short out.  Ask me how I know.....just saying.
They are all semi easy to fix if you wish to do the work yourself and save a small fortune. 

Also, when buying parts, don't be scared to order from England or Germany off Ebay  etc for things such as  reluctor rings....shipping is cheap!  I have just rebuilt my engine and transmission completely and used a company called MW-SMART in germany for most of my parts required, if you need many items their flat rate shipping works out very cheap.....ans their parts and shipping speeds are great.....not so much right at this moment but normally perfect! Also always price up smaller parts at dealership as they may shock you every now and then being the cheapest or at least the fastest one to get the parts.

Again welcome to the site....enjoy.....any questions just ask.....

Edited by Willys

9 hours ago, Nyx said:

:o Im surprised thats not lethal to it. Mustve been quite a mess since it lost half of a liter.

We were all surprised that there was no damage to the engine, and yes, it was quite a mess.  The whole back end of a stream green car was black!

13 hours ago, Willys said:

Welcome to the site.....first off.....
Next, start researching all the little things that do go wrong with the car here.  There is quite the list once you do get interested in it. None really that hard to do with simple basic tool kit. Do yourself a massive favor and buy a small 3/8" drive set of torx sockets/https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/pro-point-13-pc-e-torx-trade-impact-socket-adapter-set/A-p8638298e  then a set of these...https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/13-pc-torx-bit-socket-set/A-p8842197e and a set of metric sockets  https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-pc-3-8-in-dr-metric-shallow-socket-set/A-p8343345e  https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-pc-3-8-in-dr-metric-deep-socket-set/A-p8343386e  https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-8-in-dr-100-tooth-swivel-head-ratchet/A-p8653651e  https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/3-pc-3-8-in-dr-impact-extension-bar-set/A-p8479925e 
This sellection should easily allow you to work on your smart without having to buy a whole tool kit  with many things you do not need.....I only chose 3/8 drive to start with.....1/4" drive is also a good idea for tight spots, also torx driver set similar to screw drivers is also a good thing.   All these can be bought from anywhere but to start out as a general low low cost purchase Princess Auto is a great place as they have a no question return policy for their products so when you break one you simply return it and get new.  Yes it's far better to buy a known quality piece but you will be spending far more for all these items and you won't need them all most of the time so why?
The issue list is semi long and you will sooner or later find most of these things an issue with your car.
SAM(fuse box) ECU(air box computer) E-BOX(sliver box near battery) fuel pump relay mod, White connector in battery well, ALL grounding pin points( all suffer from corrosion between eye loops), Main grounding strap running from engine to body or frame, EGR, Inter cooler rad(front lower edge rub through), top hose from inter cooler  get a rubbed area on the top from wire loom, headlight relay mod, Turbo waste gate rod seizes up, reluctor rings, I'm sure there is many more but these will keep you amused for a while researching them....lol

Just a thought, never work on anything electrical without first disconnecting the battery neg, SAMs, ECUs and Speedo's are all expensive items which could easily short out.  Ask me how I know.....just saying.
They are all semi easy to fix if you wish to do the work yourself and save a small fortune. 

Also, when buying parts, don't be scared to order from England or Germany off Ebay  etc for things such as  reluctor rings....shipping is cheap!  I have just rebuilt my engine and transmission completely and used a company called MW-SMART in germany for most of my parts required, if you need many items their flat rate shipping works out very cheap.....ans their parts and shipping speeds are great.....not so much right at this moment but normally perfect! Also always price up smaller parts at dealership as they may shock you every now and then being the cheapest or at least the fastest one to get the parts.

Again welcome to the site....enjoy.....any questions just ask.....

Oh lots of good info here! Yes i took my ebox out of the battery box and it just sits in my cup holder as I never use it.
I plan on getting those tools as this is a fun car to work with. I heard lots of bad stuff when I researched it before buying, but ive gotten almost a year and a half our of it already so anything else will be bonus.

23 hours ago, MikeT said:

Pollen filters were optional and I bet that car was delivered without one.  The air intake unit is the same either way.

I wonder why the guy removed the filter......not good, it's reassuring to have a water separator in these cars.

If lockdown is ever lifted and you are visiting Richmond, Eddy offers remps and OE cruise activation at (sometimes) special prices.  The former inactivates EGR which makes a blanking plate unnecessary.  The latter is a godsend on long highway drives.  Ask me how I know....

Really cabin filter was optional? interesting. And ya the no filter or separator makes me sad :c dumping diesel additive into it every tank until I can get one.

parts source has the filters...but i think they are all closed unless you know someone with a commercial account

if i remember right there was choice of filter only or for more money you could also get one with a new sensor

another good source for smart parts is germanparts.ca in toronto

On 2020-04-09 at 10:44 PM, Nyx said:

yesterday I fought to get to my fuel filter/water separator to replace it... and low and behold I find there is nothing there. in the little holder instead there is a hanging wire and two fuel lines spliced together. Not going to lie I was vivid. Explains why my fuel filter light would come on whenever I was driving through deep snow. The wire was just splashing around in the mud and slush under the car :D

Was that on the drivers side?

On the passenger side there is a holder with the fuel line spliced together, that's the way it came to Canada.

In Europe they had water separator/filter and a straight filter.