Smarty450

Smart Tuning: Getting Started With KWP2000+ and Smart 450 CDI

27 posts in this topic

Hello all,

After a few days of working on things, I have written a guide for getting you started with the KWP2000+ and the Smart 450 CDI. This guide includes the (often hard to find) software thats needed, setup of the software and hardware, and instructions on how to read your stock tune file and write a new tune file to it. 

The attachment includes the guide and software. 

Please let me know if you have anything to add or any questions.

Big thanks to @stickman007 for his assistance with the software and troubleshooting!

KWP2000 Smart CDI Edition.zip

3 people like this

I assume that this modified app is safe to be used on any 450/452 model. 

Coming at this as an OSX user, is it possible to run the app in Windows 10 rather than Windows XP? Or because it’s an old 32bit app you’re limited to Win XP?

Any recommendations on sources of already modified ecu files? 

I haven’t tested it with windows 10 but I know for sure it will work on OS X with a virtual machine running windows xp as I have used it before. 

pre modified files can be found online is various places, some people sell them in packs on eBay. Be careful though as using a file not meant for your car could cause damage or brick the ecu. Always pull the stock file off first. 

1 person likes this

Nice, thanks!  I guess that pin 8 to pin 7 connection is probably what was bumping our odometer when I'd connected with various cables from other toys back when we first got our '06 Fortwo Cabrio Pure.  Having done everything else I can think of (including numerous wastegate adjustments to within a quarter thread of limp mode), I'd love to finally sort out our 0.8L CDI's flash.  You've just motivated me to try again (perhaps after buying a dedicated KWP2000+ cable just for the Smart and clipping that pesky bridge to pin 8).  More when it arrives ...

Does anybody know how to modify the dll so the KWP2000+ recognizes a smart roadster ECU?

My KWP2000+ kit arrived from ebay and I was pleased to find it identical to the one in the guide except that pin 8 was not connected. :)  Unable to install in Windows 10 Home 64-bit due to lack of any 64-bit driver.  Using your 32-bit drivers, I was able to install in 32-bit Windows virtual machines including Win 7 Pro and Win 10 home running under a Win 10 64-bit host OS.  .

Our Smart's already in winter storage so not sure when I'll actually read it, but does anyone know how to convert an ".ols" flash file into an ".obj" file?

Attached is the file in question.

Smart CDI 0281010161 351431.7z

On 12/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, brd said:

Does anybody know how to modify the dll so the KWP2000+ recognizes a smart roadster ECU?

Which engine/ECU?  I noticed that the software I received with my ebay cable included a folder with 44 different DLL files including one specifically for the 0.8L cdi (identical to the one Smarty450 already provided) as well as one for the 0.7L petrol.  Attached is the DLL for the 0.7L petrol engine.  If it's a different petrol engine, it might possibly be covered by one of the other ECU units in that DLL folder (although if we're to believe the file dates, none are newer than 2005). 

Kwpu003.dll

Edited by o2bad455

1 hour ago, o2bad455 said:

Which engine/ECU?  I noticed that the software I received with my ebay cable included a folder with 44 different DLL files including one specifically for the 0.8L cdi (identical to the one Smarty450 already provided) as well as one for the 0.7L petrol.  Attached is the DLL for the 0.7L petrol engine.  If it's a different petrol engine, it might possibly be covered by one of the other ECU units in that DLL folder (although if we're to believe the file dates, none are newer than 2005). 

Kwpu003.dll

Thanks. I got the same dll's with my KWP2000+. I tried the kwpu003.dll for the 0.7l 450 and it doesn't recognize the smart roadster ECU.

I just checked a smart parts vendor website and the smart 452 ECU is the same as that which they used in the smart 450. So I don't understand why there is such an issue. The only thing which comes to mind is that the 450 had a 50 or 61 HP engine depending upon the  model whereas the 452 had 61 / 82/ 101 PS depending upon the model. 

Edited by brd
correction

21 minutes ago, PowerShellMan said:

On the Diesel (450 CDI) I'd be curious on just how much extra "oomph!" you can get from this :)

Stock is generally quoted as 41 bhp, which I believe is at the flywheel before other losses (some fixed, some not).  Most seem to agree that the power can be about doubled (e.g., Brabus) without seriously affecting engine longevity, but that low-rpm torque should be artificially limited.  Ours is fast enough for the flats unless there's a headwind, but slows substantially up hills.  I'm sure any reliable improvement would help!  Having had some Bosch ME7 ECU OBD2-port tuning success (luck?) a few years back with a previous ride using NefMoto and TunerPro, I've been itching to try my hand on the Smart's Bosch EDG15C ECU.  The maps are one thing, but finding and/or developing the definition files will be key to any repeatable success (i.e., not just one size fits all or copy/flash/copy/flash).  Definition files are the comprehensive files that define at least what the data maps mean, and ideally also what the program variables are, even better the program steps themselves!  Unfortunately, they're rather difficult to devine from scratch, and there hasn't been a lot of open community development for this particular ECU platform.

I agree it is enough on the flats etc but slows down going up-hill but then you simply gear down and up the RPMs....no...?  I drive manual 99% of the time so am shifting to keep it close to the lower 2000 RPM range.....most of the time as my area is basically flat. When needed it easily climbs to the 3000 range if required....either by foot pressure or gear selection.  

As for engine longevity.....personally i think it's the short slow trips that destroy these engines. Not allowing the engine to build up enough heat and run hot or warm long enough. Then shut down too soon.  BUT after saying that I also don't think they are designed to run at 3/4's or above most of their lives either....to each their own on that also.  a 3 cylinder diesel engine usually isn't designed to be a pounder. It's more of a steady work horse type engine.....middle of the road RPMs and no sudden beatings, unlike a Honda Civic type engine which loves to be beaten to death...lol.

I'm always interested how others make out and how they did what they did to try and better their machines....so please keep us info be all ears....that's for sure.

2 hours ago, o2bad455 said:

Stock is generally quoted as 41 bhp, which I believe is at the flywheel before other losses (some fixed, some not).  Most seem to agree that the power can be about doubled (e.g., Brabus) without seriously affecting engine longevity...

That all appears to be true in my experience but I will point out that the increase to torque of the B-Map at about 140 Nm takes the clutch pack well beyond its rating.  I experienced this personally at 158,000 km - my clutch has begun to slip and so I parked the Canada 1 and de-plated it.

It's not been dismantled yet (a project for beyond 2021) but I expect that although the clutch disc itself may not be worn below spec, the wear that does exist combined with the springs of the pressure plate not being rated to 140 Nm means that slippage becomes possible...

Whether a BRABUS roadster clutch or even an 82 HP roadster clutch can be fitted to a cdi is a question I would like to get an answer to, because although 158K km is a lot (remapped for ~130K of that), a clutch in the type of driving I do should never slip.  I'd buy it in Europe through a friend and save a pack of money over a 100 Nm cdi pack from a dealer here.

5 hours ago, Willys said:

, unlike a Honda Civic type engine which loves to be beaten to death...lol.

My '79 Honda Civic has over 596,000 kms. on it and still runs great!,  I bought it new in September of '78.  I used to "beat it to death", but it wouldn't die.  These days, it is used .. 1) - If I need to carry more than two people or  2) - I need to tow a trailer.

As for the remaps, both my smarts have the "Uncle Glenn" remap, and both can hold 140 in high winds or steep hills.  I don't do that too often, but if needed, it's nice to know that I can.

Honda Civic with Trailer.jpg

It figures, I have a KWP2000, that already had the connectors set up the way we need for the smart, and I still get the "kick not found" error.I've tried several times, and always the same. Aargh

On 12/15/2020 at 11:59 PM, Leadwing said:

As for the remaps, both my smarts have the "Uncle Glenn" remap, and both can hold 140 in high winds or steep hills.  I don't do that too often, but if needed, it's nice to know that I can.

Agreed, an Uncle Glenn remap is the way to go, no questions asked. I’m very satisfied with the results.

On 12/15/2020 at 7:52 PM, MikeT said:

That all appears to be true in my experience but I will point out that the increase to torque of the B-Map at about 140 Nm takes the clutch pack well beyond its rating.  I experienced this personally at 158,000 km - my clutch has begun to slip and so I parked the Canada 1 and de-plated it.

It's not been dismantled yet (a project for beyond 2021) but I expect that although the clutch disc itself may not be worn below spec, the wear that does exist combined with the springs of the pressure plate not being rated to 140 Nm means that slippage becomes possible...

Whether a BRABUS roadster clutch or even an 82 HP roadster clutch can be fitted to a cdi is a question I would like to get an answer to, because although 158K km is a lot (remapped for ~130K of that), a clutch in the type of driving I do should never slip.  I'd buy it in Europe through a friend and save a pack of money over a 100 Nm cdi pack from a dealer here.

I’m not a mechanic so what do I know. I would guess that a 452 roadster clutch would work fine in a 450 as they share the same transmission design. There are a lot of parts which are interchangeable between the 450 & 452 eg suspension parts (except the springs due to length), wheel bearings, seats, steering wheel, pods, ECU, engines, engine mounts, intercooler, rims etc etc. You might want to pose your question on a smart 450 forum in the UK. 

I've asked my friend in Germany to look into it once lockdown is over (if it ever is).  No rush in any case, because I don't need 3 cars.

Our Smart's finally back after isolating from Covid for a couple of years.  Does anyone have the little shareware file called  bosch_ecu_number.rar (presumably something similar once decompressed)?   Once I've backed up our map, I'd like to confirm that both the kwp2000+ and the bosch_ecu_number utility report the same map number, but all the old links to that little utility seem to be broken.  Thanks in advance!

Edited by o2bad455

I found this handy old ChipTuning shareware utility (the rar contains an exe for ECU v0.12), and it still works on Win 10!  If my understanding is correct, this little utility may more accurately tell the software version that a modified map is actually based on, which can apparently be different from that "advertised" or reported by kwp2000.  All stock maps should be and report the same number, so this utility and kwp2000 both reporting the same version is at least a good sign. :)

Name: Bosch ecu nr.rar
Size: 55660 bytes (54 KiB)
SHA256: F0E49E6C7623098913234040BD9D8E7DA474C1CE26AC0942742E8A551B79923B

Cheers!

Bosch ecu nr.rar

Edited by o2bad455

Hi,

i have a question what happened to kwp2000+ why it's so expensive now ? there are just a few in aliexpress and ebay left, and prices are 100+ ?

maybe i'm missing something :D

Thanks!