TimG

Wife stuck at cottage

8 posts in this topic

hey, just found this groupe while looking for a solution to my smart issue. my wife was driving back from the cottage when after about 15 kms the car just came out of gear. engine still running. she could re-start it and shift but no clutch engagement, just revs(automatic).  This happened before but solved its self after about 10 mins at the side of the road about 8 months ago and no problems since. it dose on the rare occasion not want to go into reverse but we usually just push the car back a bit with our foot . I guess that lines up the dogs(i guess i haven't seen a reverse in a smart) more closely. This time though, she tries it in reverse and it jumped back a little but then nothing. just wondering if this is the actuator motor. I just saw a vid where the motor gear broke off and jammed in the mech.one note is that the shift cable was replaced in january by mercedes(after multiple failures of new cables) and like i said has had no starting issues since. Unfortunately I'm in milton and she is 3 hours north in bf nowhere. I haven't seen it described where a car will just go into a neutral state while underway. Oh ya, the car has about 130000 kms on it and to leave the cottage we have a very steep driveway and she said there was no issue so i dont think its a worn out clutch(not sure if that is a problem with these just wanted to mention). Any insight on this would be great thanks.

Welcome to the site....what year and model would help....thanks...Oh and when you do get it home contact Smart142, he's the local guy who knows all smart....he has a shop in London, just a hop away from you maybe..?  Not sure if maybe a re-adjustment is in order for your clutch actuator or a transmission re-teach....some suffer from rubbed through transmission shift motor cables...?
Do you have CAA.....? Just a thought..?

From what I’ve read here over the years the clutch is not prone to wearing out but does need adjusting from time to time. Would be nice if that is all that is required.  Please let us know what year and fuel type your car is.  Many of us use smart142 (Uncle Glenn) on this forum for our service.  He is in London and is much less expensive than the dealer.  He can be found under the Service Options tab at the top of the page.  Not sure where bf nowhere is but maybe there is a service option near there.

Nigel

Posted (edited) · Report post

bf nowhere is a few hours south of me

i would guess its either a seized actuator or a punch thru ..if its a diesel

maybe the shift cable part will be a clue for model/year...i thought my diesel was just electronics in the shifter but i may be wrong

Edited by LooseLugNuts

BF nowhere is just south east of Upper Rubberboot, Sask. ... LOL    Just kidding

As Willy suggested, if it's a diesel and you have CAA or the Canadian Tire equal, Perhaps just sending it straight to Glenn in London.  Contact him first by PM  to see if he can take it.  He will give you the address etc. needed to do this.

Actually this thread is tagged 2008 passion transmission so I guess that answers that question.

1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Actually this thread is tagged 2008 passion transmission so I guess that answers that question.

Hmmmmm......aren't you the observant one....lol

Posted (edited) · Report post

The 2008s had clutch and software issues.  The no reverse is likely a symptom of not having the newest tcu software.  With MB techs working on the car one can only guess what has been fouled up.

It would be interesting to know the part number for whatever they were calling a shift cable.

Edited by Huronlad
1 person likes this