Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smart142

8 Cars From The 2000s That Deserve To Be Called Classics (And 7 That Don’t)

10 posts in this topic

LMAO.....lol

Hmmm....not sure I would even add a Smart to either side of that list to be honest especially a gasoline version.  OK, I'm partial to the diesel now, never thought I would ever say this but, here I am...lol.

It also funny as my daughter went out and bought a compass...lol. Yes I agree....lol.  And No she didn't ask for my opinion as I'm sure she knew what it would have been...lol

IMHO, the CDI Smart has it's place but it never really was marketed in the right light to get enough to be recognized as worthy of buying. Plus I imagine the price was far too great for what it was back then and almost even now today! It is what it is, a two seater get me from one place to another cheaply and without much fuss.  All of the other manufacturers did the same thing and proved to do it better, why...? Again IMHO advertising and quality control issues better dealt with I bet. Seeing as how many nagging little issue we are dealing with today, 15 years later. Hmmm...?  But again we are biased as owners or infected Smart owners....lol.

No surprise there!  Most likely written by another uninformed American journalist.  This partial quote from the article will demonstrate what I mean ... ",,,,, far too small to function properly."

If used as intended, it is very useful.  Making the gas engine version to run on regular might have been a better deal too.  The mileage you got wasn't spectacular  to start with and after paying the extra price at the pumps for premium gas, any savings went out the window

2 minutes ago, Willys said:

And No she didn't ask for my opinion as I'm sure she knew what it would have been...lol

I know what you mean there.  Same situation when my daughter decided to buy a Mustang ........ An $8,000 car that cost her over $9,000 in repairs in the first year of ownership.  I told her to avoid that thing like the plague, but of course "the old man doesn't know anything about cars".  Eventually (after having to borrow my 1989 Honda Civic several times as a replacement for her junker while it was in the shop for the umpteenth time)  she finally must have decided that "Hmmm, maybe the old guy DOES know something.  After all, here's this ancient Honda that seems to be as reliable as an anvil".  She finally bought a one year old Honda and 5 years later, and is still happily driving it with no issues other than the usual oil & filter changes..

2 people like this

Just now, Leadwing said:

The mileage you got wasn't spectacular  to start with and after paying the extra price at the pumps for premium gas, any savings went out the window

In 2011 when I bought my 451, there was no other new car for the same money that would return 55 - 60 MPG.  As far as savings, my 451 has been far cheaper to operate then my 450 by a large margin.

Edited by Huronlad

id have to agree with a no on the 451

we all know the 450 diesel is the only one even close to classic

as i side note ..ive always liked the aztecs..but only the awd versions

4 hours ago, Willys said:

my daughter went out and bought a compass

one of my regular customers owns 2 compass and an outlander...

all 3 are nothing but problem after problem

he had no idea the compass is basically the same car as mitsushitty outlander until i mentioned it to him

Anyone who would put a Pontiac Solstice and a Honda S2000 on the same list deserves to have their journalism credentials examined.

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, GMoney said:

Anyone who would put a Pontiac Solstice and a Honda S2000 on the same list deserves to have their journalism credentials examined.

As bad as this may sound, I like the look of the solstice as I see so very few of the S2000  I know I can count the times I have seen one on one hand...lol. The Solstice I see plenty of times....there is another which looks very close to the solstice correct....Sky or something.....they are what I would call woman's cars as they are built for smaller folks...lol

That would be the Saturn Sky...

The Saturn Sky is a roadster that was produced by Saturn, and was initially released in the first quarter of 2006 as a 2007 model. It uses the Kappa automobile platform shared with the Pontiac Solstice. ... It was built at GM's Wilmington Assembly plant in Wilmington, Delaware, alongside the Solstice.

A newer (2007) version of a Pontiac Solstice currently sells for between 10 and 12 thousand dollars.  A Honda S2000 sells for $33,500.  If I had the bucks, I would have the Honda.

Pontiac

Pontiac Solstice.jpg

Honda

Honda S2000.jpg