StalveyKyle

05 CDI arcing noise coming from SAM

17 posts in this topic

2005 diesel has a weird noise coming from SAM. attempted to start a few weeks ago and it was trying to start and just shut off and started making this arcing noise. 

A few months ago I had the normal issue with the connector melting that goes to the fuel pump, I bypassed that and solved that issue. Shortly after that similar issue this time it was a bad ground running to the fuel pump so I fixed that with a new ground. 

I’ve checked continuity on the ground and it’s good. Fully charged the battery and that’s good. When I move the new connection I made for the fuel pump to a different fuse location the fuel pumps comes on and you can hear it pumping no problem. But you plug it back in where it goes and the noise starts back. So the fuel pump can get power and the ground is good. It’s just that fuse slot for it is where the problem lies. 

61100904286__2ECC9F88-DE63-4870-BDFB-380EDB43FC10.MOV

Did you install a relay, as the start up power required is what fries the SAM ...?

I’m assuming I have fried the SAM. Where in the world can I find one that’s not gonna break the bank and can be programmed to install in this car? I found one from a company in Canada but it was 1000 dollars. Looked brand new though. No one sells parts for them here in Florida 

Try powering it from the battery away from the SAM and then see what happens?   IF it starts your SAM may be OK...?

I can find a SAM probably for far less after the COVID-19 crap has gone away and the scrapyards are back open and I don't feel like I'm going into a nuclear waste land so to speak....lol.   I have a spare for myself here.....and I paid $200 for all 3 computers before they realized what they were worth...lol.

Canada had all sorts of crap done to our cars by transport Canada to get them into the country and I do not know if your SAM would be different to ours or not....?    Someone else with far more brain skills and experience woulkd be able to answer that question......BEFORE you put out the money on a Canadian SAM.

My car came from Canada. They never made them in America in diesel. Plus they didn’t start making them until 2008 here. Mines a 2005. Lol everything is in kilometers so it’s confusing to me being used to miles. 

That is easy then, simply look for a used one and pray it's a good one, never any guarentes on electrical bits from what I have seen......fingers crossed...?    Also not sure how you'd check that unless inserting in a car and testing it again using a STAR.

Posted (edited) · Report post

sounds like a relay going full bore on and off...if it was arcing youd see smoke and fire

dont run anything at full power from the sam....use the sam outputs to power added outboard relays that source full power from the battery (for fuel pump and main headlights.....good idea to do it for both highbeam circuits too if youre a frequent highbeam user)

Edited by LooseLugNuts
3 people like this

What about the starter because whatever went out is making it not even attempt to turn over. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

open her up and give a sniff test 

find out what fried

seems odd though...the main line should go directly to the fuse feeds

Edited by LooseLugNuts

I opened it up the other day and didn’t see anything burnt or smell anything burnt. It’s so crazy. But it happened during start up first thing in the morning. So it makes sense about the start up power pulling and not having it on a relay for the fuel pump. 

IF, he has really bad row of solder joints possibly it isn't allowing enough juice to flow hence him only getting 6.5V...?   Open her back up and take pics of that row of pins that is in all the other SAM threads...if they are good then it has to be burnt up somewhere else.  The bad solder joints or cold solder joints can be hard to see, they will look like black lines across the solder puddle or discolouration or dips......uneveness......I use a head magnifier  to be able to see them easily.   I'd be surprised if that row didn't have any bad pins...most do.