Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDKerrie

Forgot the KISS Method...

7 posts in this topic

Apologies for the wall of text and no photos, forgot to use camera while pulling everything apart.

Well, the day after I register here I decide I have to dig right into the smart's caboose to figure out what this infernal rattle is. Worried that it might be something awful with the turbo, or internal to the engine, I start hopefully with the exhaust and intake piping.

As fate would have it, I loosen the EGR solenoid first and am greeted with... Oil. Oh hooray, not the best sign, since I just had that out two months ago to clear out the goo, and it was dry then. Time to dig in further.

I follow stickman007's instructions for the EGR delete (not actually deleting yet, but parts on order; thanks Izzy!) in order to check the intake and exhaust sides of the turbo for the source of excess oil; this is on top of trying to figure out the original rattle complaint. The EGR mixer housing diverter is caked in grime, so I flush it out in the solvent washer at work (thank goodness for access to a diesel machine and truck repair shop!); It's definitely not either issue.

While the EGR is out of the way, I clean the original ground cable ends betwixt engine and chassis for good measure, and remove the intercooler fan, which I hasn't worked in months. Test with a multimeter for ohms; 65 ohms. I have no idea if this is good, but go ahead anyways. Drill the rivets out of the shroud and remove the fan and motor, then remove said fan from motor. Rinse out the motor with some electrical cleaner and blow out with shop air, then test with our shop battery cart; it spins! A Christmas miracle! Reconnect the fan, and remount the assembly in the shroud and test again: beautiful airflow pumps out from the spinning fan, alright!

By now I am thoroughly off course from the original rattle, but have had the intake parts in the parts washer for the past two hours cleaning the goo from inside all hoses (which were a BEAR to get off). Also, in my infinite distraction, noticed a small bit of oil in the intercooler, so wiped it out and drained a tiny bit from the sensor location on bottom, as well as sandblasted and painted the crasher bar and mounting plates to prevent further corrosion

Finally took a peek at the turbo; the compressor outlet had a slight amount of oil, but nothing that would have me worried. Used a 7mm socket on the compressor wheel nut to check for play, and unfortunately I can see the compressor wheel wiggling around. Damn. Probably where the oil in the intake is coming from... does anyone have any recommendations on a new turbo cartridge? I've seen a lot of posts about the cheap Chinese cartridges; do they work out long term?

Finally, reassembly begins. Remember that I originally started taking everything apart, and have yet to find the issue. For insurance, I changed out the oil filter and checked the old one; no metal noticeable in the old filter (only 1900kms on oil). EGR mixer valve goes in (clocked the cartridge to block off valve), re-fit intercooler fan into position, reinstall intake hoses, boost sensor wiring, EGR solenoid, and chassis to engine ground strap.

Just for fun, ran the engine sans muffler to see if I can more easily isolate the rattle: no dice. Thinking I must have cleared up something and tightened everything into the proper position, I happily put the muffler back on, bus alas, I hear it.

Clunk. 

I start the little mill again and yes, the rattle is back; the muffler is the culprit. A quick search here shows many threads involving muffler cat failure,, which confirms my suspicion. Oh well, it has to stay on. Put everything back together and drive back home to tell the wife I spent a bunch of time on the car for it to just be muffler.

TL;DR: Car starts getting engine rattle, fear the worst and take apart intake piping and exhaust. Find turbo starting to go, but not the problem. Find out after cleaning and reinstalling everything that the muffler is the issue. Whoops.

4 people like this

Welcome to the club and site, OH and also to the NON-K.I.S.S. club.....lol.
Did you at least check for inter cooler rub through on the front lower edge while you had it that far apart...?   Hmmmm.....?   Just to plant a new bug in your ear....lol.   The exhaust can be welded up if you have some skills using a good mig welder and plenty of patience.  And IF digging into it is something of interest, you could dig out the CAT for all those HP ratings it may achieve with far better flow...?    Then you will be curious about your oil chain and timing chain and sprockets.....that'll give you something to do next weekend.....or next week if you are off work...?   lol.

Ask me how I know....lol

Again welcome to the club, it's a fun little car once you start into it.....lol.

Thanks Willys lol.

Intercooler: engine was rebuilt by TPM 5 years/30k ago under previous ownership due to failed turbo. Been under the car several times since for fuel filter, oil change etc; no running or leaking noticed.

Have no skills with a welder, shop has a small one but I'm more big wrench and hammer than fine welding. Also, it's just starting to crack, so not a huge issue yet. May also just make up something else

That was a thought about the cat, I will have it off again soon for EGR delete courtesy of Izzy's plug. Maybe I will see about getting my tools in there then.

Oil and timing chains/sprockets: been really on top of oil level and intervals (5-6k km between LOFs), no metal in the filter when I look at it, and no wear noticeable when I pop a scope in the fill hole.

Back at work as of two weeks ago, so little time to get digging farther into the car between my 45+ hours there and home life. We'll see how things go.

If the engine was rebuilt  and only has that small amount of kms on it the chains I would expect are still good.   As for the intercooler shroud mod, they I doubt would have done it...???  When they did the engine rebuild unless they are knowleagable about it and cared.  It means cutting about a 1/4" of the lower edge of that plastic shroud away so it doesn't rub the intercooler tubes away.  It's a known issue if you follow the forums etc.  It's an easy job but getting to it isn't fun but far easier if you are after the EGR at the same time. IF it has already worn through it can be fixed using JB-Weld or buying a used good one.....$$$   I would suggest it when in that deep to at least having a look etc.
Good to hear you are back working as so many aren't there yet. Good luck.

Yeah, seen the posts about the shroud. Looks to have about 1/8" gap at bottom of shroud, so all good. Can't hear any boost leaks either, and no low power, so probably getting away with it.

Any oil weeping from lower edge of cooler?

That will be the first sign of a leak then loss of power.

Nnnope. And plenty of power. The thing gets about 6 or 7 half hour trips per week at 120km/h with nary a hiccup.