brd

recommended engine oil spec?

10 posts in this topic

Going through clubsmartcar, it seems that most members recommend using spec 5W-40 or 0W-45 oil in their 450cdi smarts. 

Looking at the smart Operating Instructions [p9-7] it suggests:

"Mobile-1 OW40 or Quaker State 5W-30 full synthetic European formula ultra"

Under what conditions would you use 5W-30?

The cdi I own and use in the GTA is only driven in the warmer months. Come winter, I might take it out once every 4-6 weeks when its dry on the roads just to give the smart and its fluids a chance to mix it up. Under those driving conditions, would I be OK with using spec 5W-30 oil?

The 40 is better at high temperatures.

I use 0W40 in both my smarts.  Yes, even the winter beater.  No issues .. summer or winter.

1 person likes this

i usually used rotella T6 diesel 0w-40 year round except i remember one summer i used some older 15w-40 diesel oil just because i had a bit i wanted to get rid of

Whats the difference between OW40 and 5W40 in this situation? I note that cantire seems to just stock the latter rather than the former.

Posted (edited) · Report post

o is better for winter

they should have plenty of 0w-40...thats where ive always bought mine (or maybe it was partsource)

make sure its diesel spec

Edited by LooseLugNuts

youre probably ok with 5w though in toronto...i wouldnt do it up north or like calgary 

2 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

youre probably ok with 5w though in toronto...i wouldnt do it up north or like calgary 

The chances of me going up north or to Calgary during winter in my 450 is less than zero.

Mobil 1 0W40 . 

5W40 is problematic in the cold ... it's more viscous.

The cold accumulator battery decreases in capacity, the cold oil is more viscous and the spark plugs work for a longer period.
The climate cannot be decided but the oil used, yes.

On 23/5/2020 at 0:54 PM, brd said:

Under what conditions would you use 5W-30?

The cdi I own and use in the GTA is only driven in the warmer months. Come winter, I might take it out once every 4-6 weeks when its dry on the roads just to give the smart and its fluids a chance to mix it up. Under those driving conditions, would I be OK with using spec 5W-30 oil?

Using Liqui Moly Special Tec LL 5W30 with half a cup of MoS2 anti-friction additive, she purrs to 500km+ on a single tank city only driving and with a failing turbo.

0W definitely better for cold winter cranking but I personally don't see the benefit of a 40 even in summer given how little heat the tiny cdi engine generates.