Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

Bosch 18 V power tools....?

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys and gals......
I have just bought a two fer sale of Bosch cordless tool kit.  # GXL18V-232B22 It contains a impact driver/wrench, a drill/driver, a fast charger BC660, 2 li-lon 2Ah batteries and a soft carrying case. It also was a sale which gave you a spare 4Ah battery.
Previously I had a Dewalt 12 V old old set, driver and drill....and it still works well. But it is limited so to speak because of it's voltage size.

My question is.....what do you think of this new kit? And why? Is it any good? I'm not sold on it so far.....I'm debating returning it simply because the batteries don't seem to last that long...?  I am not going to go out and spend the same amount of money for the top of the line cordless kits just because it's for home use and not commercial use. So the amount of money they demand for these kits is similar to the cost of a used Smart car...!!!I thought Bosch was, is a good name brand so was expecting maybe too much because of it? I don't know, but aren't that impressed with it so far. I also bought the reciprocating saw to go along with this kit. That drained the 2Ah battery in short order...!

So let me know what you think of this package and why.  I'm almost ready to simply send it back and go buy a 7 tool package kit for more than twice what I have into this kit...augh!!!!   But a Dewalt ....I don't know....I'm confused yes I know nothing new there...lol.

Thanks....

DeWalt and Black & Decker both make good cordless products.  I have no personal experience with either because most of my hand power tools are corded.  I am just relaying information passed on to me from people I know who DO own these things.

There should be some place online where you an get unbiased opinions on both companies and their products.

Bosch was a top of the line tool yrs ago not so much lately.

I've had a cple Bosch corded tools 30+ ys ago.

The 2ah batteries are short lived on anything.

I run 18v Makita tools.

The sawsall is hard on batteries regardless but a 4ah battery gives it respectful life.

I run 4ah battles or bigger in all of them

Have the 1/2" drill, 1/4" impact driver, sawsall, grease gun, hedge trimmer, 1/2 hammer drill, 1/2" impact gun, jig saw and 4" circular saw.

They tend to take all the abuse I throw at them.

Built a roof over deck last yr and over 2 days made all the cuts and drove 5 1/2 boxes 4" screws with 2 Makita 1/4" impacts that's close to 10,000 screws plus 50 1/2 x 8" lag bolts and 2000 steel roofing screws. 

They never missed a beat.

I build on average 10 -12 decks plus other jobs a yr and I'm now going on 5yrs for these tools.

Batteries last about 3 yrs.

Don't run a battery till it's dead it'll kill them quickly.

As you can see I'm to invested in Makita tools to make a change to something else.

I've tried a Dewalt 18v yrs ago and it didn't last long in comparison to the Makita so went back to what I liked.

If I didn't have as much in Makita I'ld be looking a the Milwalkee fuels which IMO are even better.

Rigid (sp) that Home Depot sells, had and may still have a lifetime warranty even on the batteries, they are a decent home owner line at a lower cost.

Black n Decker are fine for the guy who has all yr to get done what I can do in a day with mine and they are cheap too.

Stay away from the china stuff you can get really cheap at clearance, discount or flea market type places.

The main reason I like Makita is they only have one line of tools everyone else has multiple brands they make at the same time, ex Dewalt also make Black n Decker plus a few more, and their quality dropped once they acquired BnD too.

Good luck.

Posted (edited) · Report post

i only use milwaukee M18 

and i modified the battery pack on my one black and decker tool (a pole saw) to accept a milwaukee battery

for good tool reviews go to youtube and search AvE channel for bosch...he's probably done some videos on them

edit yep...plenty of bosch product videos 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpf67S2qH0I

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Thanks guys.....My main issue is constantly charging the batteries......OK, I have driven close to 1500 screws in the last day or so, but these Bosch don't keep up with my old Dewalt 12V impact or drill.   I think I'll watch the videos and then make the big decission......but I'm seriously un-impressed to say the least!

if youre going to keep them id suggest bigger batteries...i have milwaukee 2ah that are basically useless...you need minimum 5ah for most jobs 

I just finished watching buddy destroy the impact driver, same one I have same set but mine came with 2 Ah batteries, and yes useless!   The tool works well, but those batteries drive me insane!

OK, I have found my newest hero......I can't stop watching this guy.....What a .........well what is he.....fucking great .......I'll get to bed now and bright and early get right back onto his chanel and watch more entertaining info.....thing a ma what's it's...?

Is it morning yet.....can't wait.....

But still can't decide if he liked the Borsack or not...?

Well......returned DUD set of Bosch tools and gladly accepted my refund.....then drove directly over to Home Depot and had another massive choice to make....AUGH....!      
So between Dewalt and Milwaukee and then also the big daddy the FUEL series......dang blast it.....I just want a home usage type tool that'll last more than a few minutes..(isn't that what she said..?   )...and not shame me in the process.  lol.

So after almost making out with salesman seeing he was so close to me we were banging elbows at one point I settled on the M18 Milwaukee  5 tool set for half what I spent on my beater....!!!!     FFS...!!!
So far it's telling me I have one bad battery pack, or it wasn't installed correctly in charger or it is actually a bad battery....!!!!    Can I never win....a phone call and a road trip to get that exchanged is in order or I'll gladly accept my refund once again!

Now to try and keep cost of said presents far away from the better half......but I'm sure she'll see the statement, thanks COVID-19......please sir no cash sales.....AUGH....!!!!!!!!.......FFS..!     BUSTED!    Before the game even starts.....oh well....

Lets hope tomorrow is easier than today.

Fingers crossed....once again.

Winner winner chicken dinner, two good fully charged battery packs waiting to be abused!
Guess the charger just needed something to charge to get settled in and do it's job correctly.....excellent.
The impact will be my next purchase I think once I can get away cleanly from this expenditure.....lol

Time to test out the flashlight.....

You'll find Milwaukee cordless tools all over construction sites. You'll see a lot of Bosch and Festool in woodworking shops, but more corded tools. Porter-Cable routers are pretty much industry standard.

Fine Woodworking usually publishes shootouts of various kinds of tools, so you can compare what's best for the kind of work you're doing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

used my milwaukee 1/2 drill yesterday a bunch with a wire brush attachment to clean out the garbage i found on a family members tiguan that ive been slowly repairing (all 8 intake valves smashed into an "s" shape below the bell due to chain tensioner failure)

what a dirty s.o.b. intake this p.o.s. has....i suppose its from a mixture of turbo oil and egr gases ....i also blame the direct injection (gas) because i doubt it'd be so filthy if there was a fuel spray in there 

tiguan.jpg

tig.jpg

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

8 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

used my milwaukee 1/2 drill yesterday a bunch with a wire brush attachment to clean out the garbage i found on a family members tiguan that ive been slowly repairing (all 8 intake valves smashed into an "s" shape below the bell due to chain tensioner failure)

what a dirty s.o.b. intake this p.o.s. has....i suppose its from a mixture of turbo oil and egr gases ....i also blame the direct injection (gas) because i doubt it'd be so filthy if there was a fuel spray in there 

tiguan.jpg

tig.jpg

Hmmmm......wouldn't be one of them "Clean" VW's now would it?     lol

A man after my own heart, make it like new again and get more enjoyment out of it. Love the clean injectors holes that you can actually see with the nak'id eye.!

What, you don't own any BURRS....?  lol