Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DaMadBoy

Oil Leak, Left Side of the Engine

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hello everyone. I have gained an oil Leak on the left side of my engine. It happened after I put more oil in my car, I may have over filled it a little, and then went on a 300 mile round trip the following day.

On my way home I stopped at a service station and noticed a sizeable puddle of oil underneath my car. Since getting my car home the leak has stopped, there's no new drips on the road or anything.

The leak seems to be coming from just under the intercooler but I cannot see properly and would rather not lay under the car whilst jacked up on a scissor jack.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Smart 450 Pure 0.7 Petrol.

Edited by DaMadBoy

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, seeing as your car is a petrol version I don't know where or not the inter cooler rub through is the same in your version of car???  On our diesel versions the lower left front edge gets rubbed through by the plastic shroud that directs the air into it. It's a simple fix so to speak but a pain in the butt getting it all out to work on it. We simply trim the plastic back 1/4" or so  and call it a job well done.   But we also get an oil leak at the very spot it rubs through........so maybe worth a look see...?   You then have the choice of repairing it using an epoxy slowly after thoroughly cleaning  the tubes, or buying a new cooler.  Also we get oil leaking and possible serious issues if we over fill the engine with oil. It seems to do best with it just below the full mark on the stick.  Not full.    Again this is the diesel versions, so don't know if it is the same with the petrol cars?

Use scissor jack to get car up as high as you like then simply use either large wooden blocks stacked carefully or jack stands and get under to inspect the job.....safety first!   Never allow car to solely rest on jake when working underneath, always drop it down to the blocks or jacks and use jack as a secondary device for holding car safely  while you work under it.   It sounds like you already know this by the sounds of it.

Good luck and keep us informed as to what you find out.

Edited by Willys

Over-filling the engine with oil is NOT a good thing.   Here is a clear video about doing an oil change on a 0.7L petrol smart.  Near the end in the video, the person doing the video comments that he has only put in about 2.5 litres.  In reality, the oil should be in the upper half of the maximum / minimum hash marks, but NOT over the full mark   The proper amount is between 2.5 and 2.7 litres.  (So, approximately 2¾ litres or 2.9 U.S. quarts)  You could blow an engine seal or cause other expensive damage.

I didn't realise that. I thought you could fill it up to the maximum line without issues. I accidently filled it to just over the maximum line but I had no way to extract the extra oil.

I'll be sure to keep the oil level around the halfway mark in future. It's actually my first car and I've been doing my best to take care of it, including replacing the engine as the old one was leaking oil left, right and centre.

I'm taking it to my mechanic tomorrow and he will see what damage has been done.

The oil leak itself has stopped and the oil level is still at the maximum and the engine has been running fine.

Some people who have over-filled the oil get lucky and there is no damage.  Fingers crossed for you that you are one of the lucky ones.. 

Word of caution, if I may ...... Not all mechanics are familiar with smart cars.  A local mechanic (an expert at doing ALL work on larger cars) didn't check the oil level when changing the oil on a smart.  He was used to working on larger cars that take a minimum of 4 litres, so that's what he put in.  Being a professional, he wasn't willing to accept a customer's word that this was too much.  The customer drove the car for about a week and noticed the whole back end of his car was covered in oil.  It was then that he took it to someone {Not a Mercedes dealer ... much too expensive} who actually was well versed in working on smarts.  Perhaps it's best to talk to other smart owners in your area to see if they have or know of an independent mechanic who knows smarts.  Usually, they are much less expensive than MB and they tend to FIX the problem (if there is one) rather than throwing parts at it until the issue goes away.  

See the photo below to see what was drained out of the car after a week of dumping oil out of the engine.  The customer was charged for the full 4 litres.  Keep in mind that the maximum amount of oil in the engine to start with was supposed to be about 2.7 litres.

Ron :bike:

Smart oil overfilled.jpg

Shortly after I had bought my used 2005 Cabriolet I noticed oil oozing out of the air intake on the left hand side of the car. I removed about a litre to fix the problem.

My car is parked nose up on a hill on my driveway. I don't know whether this compounded the problem or not.

Some on this forum have discounted my observations, but I think it is generally agreed that overfilling is not a good thing.

I took my car to my mechanic, he swapped out my engine on my car and is an experienced mechanic. He looked it over and said I got lucky and that the car just threw out the excess oil via the intercooler.

All seems to be fine with the car, engine is running fine and the oil leak has stopped. I've also been checking the oil level frequently.

2 people like this