vxbodul

3 lines on dashboard problem

41 posts in this topic

Hi, today I have one problem on my Smart 450 2005 CDI, I drive a car and 3 lines show on dashboard and blinking, car drives normal trough all geears and starts normal, when I connect tester I have p1850 transmission rpm sensor plausibility permanent, and p1704 no clutch transmission intermittent.

Anyone have same problem, car works good, I drive car聽 on rain, and sometimes go back to normal and after 500m again strat blinking 3 bars.

Thanks for helping 馃槉

The three bars can be hard to diagnose.聽 It can be caused by many different聽things.聽 I will mention a couple, but I am sure others will chime in with a more elaborate answer to your issue.

The three bars can be cause by a cracked reluctor ring or a聽worn actuator.聽聽As I mentioned, there are probably a few other causes, but this is a place to start.

Hmm ok thanks but problem is car drive like normal only 3 bars I have on dash.

Cable damage due to bad cable clamping and vibration is very common, easily diagnosed and fixed.

Transmission rpm sensor is very reliable.聽 I have never seen one fail yet.

Yes I read about that but, when I disconect cable getting same error on pc, before that聽 car was 2 days good and聽 I plug off sensor and take it down clean with brake cleaner put him back and now always is error on dash 馃槀, so I think it can be sensor because I only touch sensor and now error is always on before that it was sometimes.

You have also touched wiring harness which if was bad before could now have become worse. 聽

Yes, you are alright, I will check cables, sensor I can return if is not ok so tomorrow I will check everything and let you know, thanks for help.

Look for wear marks on wiring harness and exposed green oxidised copper.聽

I repair harness by soldering. You will

need hydrochloric acid solution about 10% to clean the copper strands making up each cable. The strands will normally have gone completely black from end to end so no solder will wet them making soldering impossible unless cleaned with HCL acid.聽

HCL is not that easy to source so go for standard brick cleaner of highest strength.聽

Hi everyone because of you I solved problem, the wire was broken completely. I didn't buy new sensor.

So once again you are the best. Thanks.

IMG_20200608_093319.jpg

1 person likes this

Excellent. 聽tolsen聽at his best diagnosing from a couple of thousand kilometres away.

Nigel

1 person likes this

Yes Tolsen help me last time, so I don't want start new topic but today also I solved issue of periodic shutdown engine problem.

First I replace Sam unit 11 /3 connector and everything was ok 2 months and after that car starts shutdown sometimes on road and you nee wait 20 sec to turn it on, I dissemble Sam unit and found this.

On other side of board there are cracks, I just soldier and make it better, now car runs grate.

Maybe someone have this same problem.

You guys are best 馃榿.

Regards from Croatia

IMG-20200529-WA0015.jpeg

IMG-20200529-WA0017.jpeg

IMG_20200608_173246.jpg

Posted (edited) 路 Report post

Oh no! 聽I can hear Willys saying I told you so. 聽I guess you are now the smart car expert in Croatia.

I鈥檓 pretty sure we are looking at the fuel pump and headlight circuits where the board is discoloured.

Nigel

Edited by Nigel

yep...those 2 in the middle are low beam left and low beam right....then going down the two nice ones are high beam left and right...then the single discolored one is for fuel pump

i think you should do the external relay mod next

Yes,聽 but now is good so i will don't touch anithing :), when it stops i will try to聽 external relay mod . Now i need to make some miles without pressure that he will stop.

Edited by vxbodul

55 minutes ago, LooseLugNuts said:

yep...those 2 in the middle are low beam left and low beam right....then going down the two nice ones are high beam left and right...then the single discolored one is for fuel pump

i think you should do the external relay mod next

You think this will not be ok for one two years?

I would use the existing wires from the sam to trigger the relays. 聽I would do it soon as it is much easier than repairing the sam.

1 person likes this

Oh, then is better now, so I need 3 same ralays (witch are good one)? And take 3 wires from 11/3 connector headlights and fuel pump, one wire from positive SAM unit connector (with fuse) and one white to negative on chassis, and I need fuses for all 3 whires. Thanks for help.

I need to find witch one relays.

This one is good ?

Screenshot_20200609_002108_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Edited by vxbodul
New picture

I told you so......lol......lol
Half the issues with this car are SAM or grounding issues or bared wires....I have found so far........I don't know why it is so bad for such an expensive little car........or complicated little car.....you'd have thought they would have used better wires etc.

Once you have seen a few similar issues caused by the same reasons, it's easy to help others repair their cars....check all your grounding pins for your headlights and fuel pump, take them apart and actually look at each eye loop for corrosion. They will look fine until you take them apart.

I agree do the relay fix for all items known that require it done before you completely fry your SAM's board.聽 It's an easy fix and it will last a long time.聽 聽Trouble free driving.....enjoy.

I like those relays with the fuse built in. 聽I鈥檝e never seen them before.

Nigel