Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrv83

Battery Dead - Can't Get in Car - Key Plug Broke Off In Lock

11 posts in this topic

So the mechanic who worked on my car forgot to turn off the headlights. Great. My car battery is dead so I can't remote unlock it. Went to remove the key cover plug on the drivers side door and it snapped off while coming out - so now the long shaft of the plug is blocking the key entry so I can't even manually insert my key to unlock the car to jump the battery,

Any other workarounds for getting to the battery to jump it?

Hook + lead of charger onto the starter and - to frame or block.

That will allow battery to charge or may give you enough juice to power door locks should a charger be large enough or hook up a jump battery same way.

30 minutes ago, BWM said:

Hook + lead of charger onto the starter and - to frame or block.

That will allow battery to charge or may give you enough juice to power door locks should a charger be large enough or hook up a jump battery same way.

That I would like to see.....getting a wire onto the power lead of th starter...lol....You can't even touch it let alone get a clamp onto it.....from what I saw when messing with mine.     wish you could....

You only have one key also right....Hmmmmmm.....time to invest in a few cheap chinese keys and get them programed....yeh I know, full of non-useful information and a smart ass....lol.    
Seriously I'd be going after that broken stub of a key somehow...?  Can you see it, touch it with anything?  Very small needle nose pliers? surgical clamps?  quick drying epoxy on a stick and stand a wait then carefully pull it out?   Again throwing shit at the wall...lol

Damn.....nasty....

By the way, welcome to the site, usually we have really good advise to give.......lol

I’m not familiar with the 451 door frame but I think might work.  On some cars you can push the rubber over the top edge of the glass and then pry the glass out about a quarter inch.  Enough room to get a long rod with a bend on the end to grab the inside door handle.  If the glass is framed then you might be able to put a wedge in the top rear corner of the door and put your long rod in there.  I’ve never tried on a smart but certainly done it on many others.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Willys said:

That I would like to see.....getting a wire onto the power lead of th starter

if i remember right the 451 starter is much easier to access than the diesel ones :ph34r:

Posted (edited) · Report post

for the broken plug in the door i would heat up a long narrow screw and try to screw it into the plastic then yank it out with pliers when it cools off

and if your mechanic was there but didnt try to help id recommend finding a different mechanic

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Brought it to another mechanic & they were unable to unlock the door by using a rod thru the window. I suggested jumping via the starter or by using the rod on the trunk.

Otherwise I'm just going to have to get that window replaced & tell them to just smash it in.

IF you have to smash a window simply replace the windshield, a win win,  new glass to look through and nothing to clean up.....on a 450 that rear hatch glass is $450 USED!!!!!   I was shocked when I asked about one to keep as a spare....lol.

Just my humble opinion once again....lol.

On 15/6/2020 at 2:45 PM, mrv83 said:

Brought it to another mechanic & they were unable to unlock the door by using a rod thru the window. I suggested jumping via the starter or by using the rod on the trunk.

Otherwise I'm just going to have to get that window replaced & tell them to just smash it in.

Same happened to me last winter and was able to open the passenger door using this, no need to smash windows:

IMG_20200122_143258-min.jpg

You just need something, long, stiff and thin enough to squeeze between glass and the seals which are pretty soft...and lots of patience.

Work on the front side of the glass just above the handle and pry open it leveraging on the glass.

Dang.......how many of us have a samuri sword...lol

But many of us may have a 3 foot alluminium ruler...?   Not sure if it's strong enough thought....But I do have the shorter version of that sword.....a real one.....given to my father by the gov't of Japan.