Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

11 posts in this topic

I still remember seriously looking into buying Smart CDI when they JUST hit the dealers in Canada and took it for a test drive.

The math was great.  with 75MPG even with the higher payments and higher insurance my Annual usage costs would have been cheaper....

then I found an 81 300CD running cheap that killed that whole math ;)

But as of Wednesday I'll own a 2006 Smart CDI Passion.   Silly thing even has a moonroof in it.   So quite an upgrade from my Dead Mercedes B200 (Starter went and that's an EXPENSIVE job to do)

I'll be searching the boneyard for some interior bits below the radio on this one (some type of aftermarket fuel economy toy is mounted which is cool, but it was carved open using a butter knife it looks like)

Haven't been this excited about a car in a long time.  If it goes well, I'll grab another (they're cheap enough) and have two in the driveway :)

1 person likes this

Welcome to the site.....you'll love it, and yes two is better than one.....one for winter and one for summer.....oh and the moon roof is best....ok I'm biased....lol   Just do not buy a sunroof, they leak like a siv....lol.
You have plenty of reading to do, get cracking.....lol

Already been digging into the Line In option on the built in Radio and noting "Find your radio code now".   With Mercedes in the design I was certain the Drivetrain and the car might be paired to the VIN, so watching out already.  

Already looking into swapping all the lights over internally with LEDs as well as the the exterior (I have the entire pile from the B200 I had scooped up on Amazon).

Going to do some digging to see if resistance is an issue with the Smart on the Signal lights.  It wasn't quite right so I couldn't use the LEDS on the signals there.  Hoping the little Smart can :)

Cheers!

Welcome! 

Dead B200 eh, is it a CVT automatic too?  Mine burned through two starters under warranty (plus an A/C compressor!) and since then it's been perfect for the subsequent 220K km.  NEarly at 300K km now.  5 speed manual....the CVTs usually lunch themselves at 140K km.

2 hours ago, PowerShellMan said:

Going to do some digging to see if resistance is an issue with the Smart on the Signal lights.  It wasn't quite right so I couldn't use the LEDS on the signals there.  Hoping the little Smart can :)

You can switch your signals from their position in the grill back to where they REALLY belong which is in the headlight cluster.  As long as the rear bulbs are original (not LED's) there will be no issues with resistance and everything will work properly.  Just a suggestion, but what mine is like now is what I just described and I used the lights in the grill as DRL's.  (turn the key on and they come on)  The plus side to this is your headlights are shut off the headlights during the day.  Since ALL the exterior lights are on "full power" when the DRL"s are on, this will save wear and tear on the bulbs when they aren't really necessary.  Changing the headlight bulbs can be a real pain in the @$$ on the 450's. 

To shut off the current DRL set-up, [with key OFF] pull the headlight stalk towards you (like a flash-to-pass) and AT THE SAME TIME, press the unlock button on your key fob.  You will hear a tiny beep.  This tells you the DRL's are deactivated.  To turn them back on, same procedure, but press the lock button instead.

This works so well that my 2006 still has the original headlight bulbs. 

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, MikeT said:

Welcome! 

Dead B200 eh, is it a CVT automatic too?  Mine burned through two starters under warranty (plus an A/C compressor!) and since then it's been perfect for the subsequent 220K km.  NEarly at 300K km now.  5 speed manual....the CVTs usually lunch themselves at 140K km.

No, mine was a 2009 (Donated to Kars4Kids.org this morning)

It was purchased 2 years ago for $5,000.   Got one new Alternator (Mercedes from Mercedes with Labour for $1400).  1 year later the Alternator and A/C compressor decided to eat up the belt and the Starter failed two months after.  I had a 2006 B200 with all the same failings *and* the infamous "Transmission issue" with the bad internal sensor.

So It was a matter of weighing the value of the fix vs. the value of the car.   I will buy a Mercedes again but it will be Brand new and leased under warranty or (Oh I would LOVE to find one in good condition) a late '80's 300SD. 

But I'm looking forward to tomorrow.  Pickup the Car, Drop my plates on, shampoo it out and thoroughly enjoy driving Diesel again!

22 hours ago, Leadwing said:

You can switch your signals from their position in the grill back to where they REALLY belong which is in the headlight cluster.  As long as the rear bulbs are original (not LED's) there will be no issues with resistance and everything will work properly.  Just a suggestion, but what mine is like now is what I just described and I used the lights in the grill as DRL's.  (turn the key on and they come on)  The plus side to this is your headlights are shut off the headlights during the day.  Since ALL the exterior lights are on "full power" when the DRL"s are on, this will save wear and tear on the bulbs when they aren't really necessary.  Changing the headlight bulbs can be a real pain in the @$$ on the 450's. 

To shut off the current DRL set-up, [with key OFF] pull the headlight stalk towards you (like a flash-to-pass) and AT THE SAME TIME, press the unlock button on your key fob.  You will hear a tiny beep.  This tells you the DRL's are deactivated.  To turn them back on, same procedure, but press the lock button instead.

This works so well that my 2006 still has the original headlight bulbs. 

Oh I LOVE this.  In the world of computers (well probably technology in general) we would call this an "Undocumented feature".

Or let me guess, it's a case of actually RTFM and it's sitting there ready to use eh?

Thanks for the tip on the Signals.   I'll try a mix.  I found on the B200 I could put LEDS on the back half and Analog on the front and it was happy.   Failing that it's put 'em all back the way they were.  I am going to swap whatever interior bulbs over to LED.  I have a big pile I had in my B200 sitting on my desk now ready for the next car ;)

Now I'll need to find the internal dash bits for under the radio.  Somebody mounted in some hardware but must have used a Steak knife to cut it to shape.... *shudder*

It plugs into the onboard to show diagnostic stuff, fuel economy etc.... cool item but it was a complete butcher job on the install.

@ PowerShellMan ..... You may find that in order for the signals to operate correctly, the standard rear signals and the standard front signals are needed to maintain the proper amount of "draw" so that they will flash as intended.  If an LED replaces one of the standard bulbs, the signals will flash rapidly (like having a bulb blown).  I have the standard bulbs front and back, but added LED's to the grille as DRL's and to run in concert with the signals.  The original bulbs in the grill (Canadian models) is a standard 1157 bulb which can be bought cheaply, but I preferred to place all the signal bulbs back where they belonged and turn the grille light into DRL's.  Because they don't add much draw, I added the signals to that location as well.  Now I have two lights on each side as signals.

As for the "Turning DRL's off" ...... that is a feature on all Canadian model 450s.  I don't know about the rest of the world.

IF you simply want to use LEDs for the looks and life span of them you could simply add a resistor into the system to create the same draw as the standard lights, but you will still gain the benefits minus the efficiency ....just a thought?
The onboard diagnostic unit, is it a scan gauge II..? IF so KEEP IT...!   That's a $200 hit to buy new....and is very useful when watching what's going on in real time.  Most simply glue it somewhere using a multitude of ways to the dash so we can see it.  It's usefull.
IF the part you are requiring is the cubby tray under the radio a trip to a scrapyard that allows you to wander should solve that issue and a $10-$20 note should solve  imho. You need to see how to get it out without ruining it's clips, yes one of mine got the strong arm method of removal after it being stubborn...lol. It still works, just I know I ruined the clips....oh well.

OR you could contact Glenn , Smart142 here on the site to see if he has one he will sell you...but I bet the postage will scare you away.....thieving buggers.....not Glenn but Canada Post that is...!