Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SnapDragon

06 Smart cranking no start

31 posts in this topic

Never heard of a diesel fuel float sticking, gas yes.

I'll start by cleaning the ground wire as most fuel gauge failures are due to bad grounds and since these cars are plagued with grounding issues due the math.

You'll have to follow the wires from the tank to find were the ground attaches to the car.

Maybe someone here knows its location.

my cabrio had that problem...

fuel level couldnt be trusted at all .it stayed full then bam it was empty...a few super-fills and a few treatments with kleenflo diesel conditioner solved it 

i dont think it was sticking though...i think it had some crud on the resistor part of the mechanism..can never know for sure though

Edited by LooseLugNuts

Years ago when I was driving a smart in BC the fuel gauge acted up. When I got to Saskatchewan it corrected itself. I assumed it was fuel related.

If I remember correctly TPM in Victoria recommended a fuel additive. Problem with BC diesel??

I have cleaned all the grounds that were listed in this thread while trying to make this engine start. Put some additives in there now to see if it will cure. 

Today I drove on the highway and got it up to 6th gear for around 5 minutes then hit some traffic. In the midst of the traffic the temperature went up to 4 blobs which gave me a bit of a panic. Might have been 1 minute or so before I noticed it. I immediately threw the heater on to cool the car but by the time I slid the temperature slider to the hot side, the car temperature was back to 3 blobs. Slid the temperature slider back over the cool side. Never happened again for the rest of the drive through the traffic and home. Is this something to worry about? Do our smarts reach this temperature regularly when driven under certain conditions?  

Unless there is an issue with the thermostat, temps shouldn't go higher than 3 blobs.  Under heavy load (high speeds up steep hills like the "Coq") it 'might' get up to 4 blobs but this is certainly unusual.  Normal, flat-land driving with a properly working thermostat, it won't go above 3 blobs.

I think I will start a new thread to troubleshoot this if this cooling issue is a repeat offender. I would like to thank everyone who has contributed to this thread in helping get my engine started and running smoothly. Special thanks to Willys for really dumping a pile of good knowledge on me to cipher through as I am pretty new to the Smart CDI. 

1 person likes this