clairegodin

Direction too soft - danger of loss of control

8 posts in this topic

Hello
When I drive at more than 100 km/h, the steering of my Smart Fortwo 2011 becomes very soft / "loose", so I no longer feel in control and it looks like the car no longer sticks to the road.
If I move the steering wheel slightly, for example, to change lanes, I have to hold my steering wheel with both hands because it looks like the movement is amplified and I have to bring the steering wheel right away. It's scary!
I also have this feeling of loss of control when there are ruts on the road that make the slightest vibration on the steering wheel amplify the movement.
Same problem when there is a bit of wind or if I have to pass a tractor-trailer.
Do you have any idea what the problem is?
I had another 2011 Smart Fortwo before and I had no problem with it. I loved it!
Thank you for your suggestions

Posted (edited) · Report post

That does not sound safe. Have you checked your suspension, tie rods, and wheel bearings?

It's trivial to check them, many good videos if you don't know how.

Mine tracks nicely with very responsive handling upto about 145km/h (90mph) at which point the computer gets scared and slows me down to save it's own silicon skin.

Edited by gtjunk
1 person likes this

Welcome to the site.....I'd get all the suspension linkages etc checked by a mechanic or someone who knows how to check it fully. Don't need to take it to a dealership as they will charge you more than the car is worth and not want to fix it any way!  Any good mechanic shop should be able to find anything worn out.
Good luck...let us know.

As for floating around in the wind, that's normal imho, I never hold the steering wheel too tight and allow the car to float around, similar to a motorcycle....it'll float right back after a while.......but if you keep fighting it, you'll over correct usually.....I did when I first got my car......

1 person likes this

First thing thing to check would be tires and pressures.  Mine would be all over the road when I had a soft tire.

Nigel

1 person likes this

13 minutes ago, Nigel said:

First thing thing to check would be tires and pressures.  Mine would be all over the road when I had a soft tire.

Nigel

And it could be a rear gone flat that's effecting the the front....I always kick my tires now when I first get in the car ....I have had a rear go flat but because the car doesn't weigh enough to flatten the tire, you won't know until you try cornering on it....then you get that floaty feeling!

Willys mentioned suspension linkages in an earlier post, but checking the front springs to make sure they aren't broken would be something else to take a peek at.  This can affect how the car handles in all conditions.

Il y a 14 heures, gtjunk a dit :

Mine tracks nicely with very responsive handling upto about 145km/h (90mph) at which point the computer gets scared and slows me down to save it's own silicon skin.

My previous Smart Fortwo was also very responsive and I could drive 140 km/h without realizing it .... for this reason, I was putting the cruise control at 120 km/h so I would not get a speed ticket.  I had also no problem when it was windy or if I had to pass a big truck.

FYI, the tire pressure is good, the front springs were changed because the left one broke and the parallelism was made following this last change.

OK, check the steering system, possible U-joint wear, or steering rack worn out?  Tie rod ends worn? Front wheel bearings? Any sounds coming from front when you drive at all? Any sounds as you slowly turn the steering wheel? Can you shake the front wheels if you grab the top of the tire and yank on it? Did your last car have the same sized tires on it or did it have wider tires installed making the car more stable?  Just throwing out anything to see if it is related to the issue.

1 person likes this