DieselAllTheWay

Looking for a hitch

10 posts in this topic

Hi all, looking for a hitch for a 05 Smart. Local shops sell the Curt ones but none are in stock (takes over a week to get them) and the price is sky-high. In Calgary, so somewhere in AB is preferable. Shipping from elsewhere could be prohibitive but if you can let me know the weight/dimensions I can inquire with Canada Post as to the cost.

Make it, simple straight box tube with hitch welded to it, easy for a good welder.  There are threads showing it, search it.

Looks I am now!

After reading posts here on hitches since posting this thread, I learned that there is something called a Smart 450 and a 451. Being a Smart owner for a grand total of 3 days, I'm learning plenty each day.

Apparently the hitch that Curt makes (at an incredibly high price) is for the 451, so this leaves me with no option but to build my own. Great to hear that the resourceful members here have tackled this project. Will definitely be searching for the plans. Have a welder and although not great at welding, I'm sure I can cheat my way through. After all the main purpose of the hitch isn't so much for towing but mainly to stay "legal" as far as having my trailer hooked up to a vehicle at the back of my house. Glad that I won't have to fork out over $300 for a commercial hitch.

Thanks for the heads up.

When I got my car the previous owner had a piece of angle about 3 inches and about 3/8 thick that overlapped the holes for the towing eyes.  One hole in the centre of one flange for a ball and two holes in the other flange to line up with the holes in the bumper.  A couple of spacers to keep the angle away from the bumper and bolts into captured nuts on the rebar, not the same thread as the towing eyes.  Apparently it worked well for the couple of hundred pounds her trailer weighed.  I used to use it to winch my car onto my truck until I got rear ended in Vancouver and the hitch and rebar got bent.  Very effective and you don’t have to cut a hole in the bumper.  Sorry I don’t have any pictures.

please dont use those tow hooks for anything other than  pulling it on a flatbed

id made mine from thick wall steel tube (i think it was 2 inch or 2,5) and then welded on end flanges (using the old flimsy aluminum crash bar as a template)

then welded on a 1.25 receiver tube from princess auto....and welded a spring shackle plate to the bar for hooking on the safety chains

next time if i need to build another i will plan it out a bit better to only have to cut the lower black trim (on mine i had to cut some of the actual bumper cover and the trim)

its fairly easy to do but make sure you keep test fitting for muffler clearance and bumper skin fitment....and please make sure the welds are good..i know you said it wont be for towing but you never know what the next owner may do with it

When I made mine I reworked the holes that held on the stock bumper. IMHO the metal isn't thick enough to actually tow with even if you can. That flat metal is easily bent if you try. I simply made up far thicker pieces and welded them into the same location and braced them to the frame work or uni body frame. This also meant I didn't use the original holes as in using the weak threaded holes with spot welded nuts.  I used heavy nuts and bolts. I have used the front tow hook to pull my cars up my ramp system to work on them, Until I got it figured out well you could see the tow eye holes bending under the strain. These holes were meant to easily pull a car onto a flatdeck or out of a simple ditch I expect, nothing more.   
The design you make will depend upon your willing ness to make that square hole into your rear bumper body work....after that is done the rest is easy.....lol.  Making that hole is the hardest part on a good car's bodywork imho.  IMHO it is also the strongest way to build the hitch, you may disagree, feel free.  And as you say IF you really never need to actually tow with itand even a small 3 foot square trailer just for more groceries,lol....then who cares how safe it is, as long as you remove it before selling it so the next owner doesn't get in serious trouble for a run away trailer.  Just saying.  It could be you that trailer runs into..?
I also second and third the fact make good strong non pigeon shit welds, if you can't make it safe please get someone who can.  It could fall off while you're simply driving without towing.....not saying your welds are that bad but many backyard welder's are!

tolsen

Exactly the point I was trying to make, you don’t have to cut up the bumper cover.

Nigel

i forgot i had a picture of mine

i didnt see anything wrong with using the original locations for the crash bar mounting...and it towed just great but i definitely didnt haul heavy loads like tolsen