Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dumbsmartgirl

Unidentified rattle

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2009 Passion Cabrio and I've been getting a rattling sound from somewhere around the left side of the steering wheel, inside the dash I think. It's not like a loose screw that rattles a little in its socket, but a loud intermittent buzzing sound that happens at any speed (but more so at the higher speeds). I checked to see if it was a window rattling, or something to do with the convertible top, or even something in the door pockets, but nothing checks out. It sounds like it's inside the dash panel on the left of the steering wheel. Does anyone know what this could be, and if it's serious? I'd appreciate any input you can come up with. Thanks in advance!

Hmmm....have you removed the panels yet to see?  It could be your nail file, lip balm,hair clip, loose change, or just a loose screw or a fallen out bulb or connector.   Best way is to visually check....sorry never had that rattle...I HATE rattles also. My head liner rattles sometimes in the far right front corner, drives me insane!  A good solid smack and it goes away and i forget to fix it...lol.   Maybe carry a rubber hammer in the car....lol.

Seriously....get the panels off and take a peek....it could be something so silly as any of the above items or such...? OR maybe just a piece of trim not seated correctly and rubbing on something? Maybe a fuse has fallen out of your SAM...or...it could be anything.   Hmmmm....you could recreate the same vibration in the dash and listen really well without actually driving the car .....Hmmm...?

1 person likes this

I haven't taken the panel off (not even sure how) but I'll see if I can get someone to look into the SAM module. The SAM is the one thing I keep hearing about consistently, so that would be worth a look. I can't seem to re-create the sound in idle, but I'll take it one thing at a time. Thanks for your help @Willys!