Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PowerShellMan

Battery Drain on 2006 450 (Canada eh?)

10 posts in this topic

I know the process on determining Battery drain (Multimeter, AMP test and pass meter between Battery Neg and Car ground with Battery unplugged from car Ground and test for hire current output)

then begin yanking fuses until the drain "magically goes away"

Any typical culprits on a Passion with all options except heated seats in a NON rag top configuration I should watch out for?

Radio is still stock (yay!  This actually sounds like it has a Sub of some type with the Loudness button on, very impressed) 

I will do some digging as there were antenna (thin wires stuck on but attached to nothing) and a Power line run straight from the battery to nothing (no I'm not kidding, all ends were wrapped off so nothing bad happened) which I've decoupled and removed.

Battery drains to 75% in about an hour but recharges AWFULLY quick with a 2A charge.... maybe an hour when it should take a few hours)

I can drop an eliminator (Crappy Tire) booster and start it everytime so I'm pretty certain Ground is good.

I'll start with my usual ranting....lol

Never assume these car's ground is good without taking them apart and cleaning them yourself....just saying.

Next have you had your SAM down and out yet?  IF not do so, disconnect battery first. You may be surprised what you find inside. It's a well documented issue  with cold solder type joints due to either over heat or bad manufacturing but I'll go with poor design. 
Next look for a little white plug or connection deep in front of battery in battery box, it will be either green from corrosion or you are the only lucky winner of a chicken dinner and have the only one not corroded...lol

Again, did I say check all ground wire pins?  Also the main ground wire from engine to body/frame location in engine compartment, it disintergrates. Then there is another smaller one basically opposite of that front left-ish with small wiring.

Then unhook the ECU on the air box and check those connections for 3 green-ish pins also(BEWARE, this unit holds a charge and will self destruct!)
Then finally, load testing battery.....which sensibly would be the first thing....lol.   But I would do all above for peace of mind because you will be doing them all sooner than later anyway! As we all have.

1 person likes this

my first check would be a battery load test with a modern battery scan tool...then id probably do a second one with an old resistive type tester

if that all passes my second check would be alternator (bad diode)

8 hours ago, Willys said:

I'll start with my usual ranting....lol

Never assume these car's ground is good without taking them apart and cleaning them yourself....just saying.

Next have you had your SAM down and out yet?  IF not do so, disconnect battery first. You may be surprised what you find inside. It's a well documented issue  with cold solder type joints due to either over heat or bad manufacturing but I'll go with poor design. 
Next look for a little white plug or connection deep in front of battery in battery box, it will be either green from corrosion or you are the only lucky winner of a chicken dinner and have the only one not corroded...lol

Again, did I say check all ground wire pins?  Also the main ground wire from engine to body/frame location in engine compartment, it disintergrates. Then there is another smaller one basically opposite of that front left-ish with small wiring.

Then unhook the ECU on the air box and check those connections for 3 green-ish pins also(BEWARE, this unit holds a charge and will self destruct!)
Then finally, load testing battery.....which sensibly would be the first thing....lol.   But I would do all above for peace of mind because you will be doing them all sooner than later anyway! As we all have.

Ok, excellent tips @Willys and @LooseLugsNuts . I had HEARD about the Alternator issue and have replaced my Ground cable on the Battery.  I didn't like it :P

Now on the Passion (which I am presumed is "fully loaded" there is a white "Stupid connector" right near the positive terminal.   Looks clean on mine but...er.... just the *Beep* is it for?

The only two options I DON'T have in my 2006 (Canada and sold shipped in Canada) is the Heated Seats and "Fun Powered Rag roof") 

In the case of my system it turns out (after removing the 12V always hot addon Cigarette plug and a mystery dead power wire) I had a shorted cell in the battery.   (Bought a decent $60 tester which kept screaming on each test ... (*Aigh! Short Cell!  Short Cell!*) 

On the battery for my B200 (Dead and long gone but I kept the battery) it passed.   So the 18 month old NAPA battery was Tribble food.   (They are cute but annoying so let them eat batteries :P )

I will take a second look for a leak no matter what.  People who were CLEARLY not technicians and didn't know enough to keep their fingers out of things they didn't know enough to stay away from were wiring things in.  (Ok, like me with my first car :) )

So I suspect if I go to pull carpet out I'll find other surprises.

....Looking forward to Thursday.  I'm buying a twin to mine for parts that could well certify.  

Also in Canada CT (Crappy Tire) now has an OE (Original Equipment) Eliminator version of the batteries.   1 year less warranty but the EXACT specs from the vendor and LESS than a stock "Eliminator"

Just bought one with 650 CCA, 800A for the car.  The quoted Eliminator is 600CA and I *think* 750.

I see there is an Energizer from Walmart but I'll veer away for two reasons.   

I'll support a Canadian company and no matter where you go in Canada, like finding a traditional Coffee Shop you will ALWAYS find a Canadian Tire

I just don't like Walmart (and I believe they are shutting down their auto shop (or I had heard a rumor to that)

If this was the States.... maybe (no Canadian Tire money down there) but I'm not a heavy cross border driver.   If all this Malarky clears up somebody I might just drive to Florida once for fun

.......but not today.  My longest run short term would be Ottawa to Niagara Falls.... :)

1 person likes this

Also if you're looking for a "decent" (like not super amazingly awesome, but good and Digital) Canadian Tire has a "Schumacher" or something like that on for $60.  It probably is NORMALLY $60 (CT is famous for hyping up the "normal price by double" to make it look like an awesome deal but it did look solid, well designed and worked out of the box.

It even came with the required 9V battery in the package!

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/schumacher-digital-battery-tester-0113005p.html

There are comparable ones on Amazon for those of us that are a bit newbie on testing things.  But $60 seemed reasonable and it did work properly.   And it wasn't hard for a non mechanic to use it (Sure, I'm a Customer Engineer at work but as my old boss Rick would say 'Great with computers, bad with life' so when it comes to cars I'm the nimnul that forgets to change the oil or put in Regular with Synthetic in his best friend's car.

I've gotten better but I am absolutely NO car mechanic :P

1 person likes this

I'll say it and upset all the rag tops and sun roof guys and gals....the best roof is the glass one, less chance it'll  leak but they all do to some degree IMHO...lol  You should also remove the back quarter windows and clean and I'll say it again, goo them in permanently to stop all chance of them leaking as they will. They have a silly foam gasket that by this time is already flat as, well Hmmm...lol   Not my stomach...lol I goo'd both mine in and on very very hot days you can hear it complaining trying to stretch and move but she hangs in just fine. And doesn't leak...!
Buy yourself some dilectric grease if you plan on doing all your connectors, but just a little bit is best. I used to jam all connectors full until it oozed out. Thinking more is always better, but I found this car is so sensitive to that and it drained my battery...! Yes it was this because after cleaning them all out again and lightly painting the stuff on it was fine again!  Just saying.

Under the carpets can be a bit of a surprise I have just found out. My good car had very slight surface rusting, mostly under drivers side. Just enough to bubble up the paint in a few areas. Worth the peek imho.  
OH....I removed that lump of crap which covers the battery and holds the out dated instant spray fix for a flat tire. and compressor. I just lay a few rubber floor mats over the battery to protect the terminals and then lay the carpets flat. It gives the passenger so much more leg room. Which allows you to store more crap behind their seat.

I have family in Orleans and in Gatineau also. I do visit a few times a year.....just to stay part of the family...lol.  So maybe one day a coffee and donut if things get back to normal etc.

As for adventure trips...I want to drive mine to Tuktiuktuk...NWT....the top of the continent......just not sure which car to risk...lol. Maybe the beater so IF something did happen I could easily leave it and not have a mental breakdown......after restoring the good car....lol.   We all can dream...lol

5 hours ago, Willys said:

I'll say it and upset all the rag tops and sun roof guys and gals....the best roof is the glass one, less chance it'll  leak but they all do to some degree IMHO

OH....I removed that lump of crap which covers the battery and holds the out dated instant spray fix for a flat tire. and compressor. I just lay a few rubber floor mats over the battery to protect the terminals and then lay the carpets flat. It gives the passenger so much more leg room. Which allows you to store more crap behind their seat.

I have had my "rag top" since 2011 and nary a drop has come into the car due to leaks.  It even goes through a drive-thru car wash with no water intrusion.

As for the lump of crap (shaped styrofoam block), I simply use a box cutter and cut it in half.  This makes it easier to remove and reinstall so that I don't have to store more 'crap' behind the passenger seat (like the compressor and instant tire fix spray) LOL  My usual passenger is relatively short, so leg room isn't an issue.

i have had a battery drain problem in 2 of my smarts.   it turned out to be the factory radio.   

i assume you have the code for it.  just try unplugging the radio and give it a try.

there is a link somewhere on this site that talked about some factory radios causing battery drain.

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, Leadwing said:

I have had my "rag top" since 2011 and nary a drop has come into the car due to leaks.  It even goes through a drive-thru car wash with no water intrusion.

As for the lump of crap (shaped styrofoam block), I simply use a box cutter and cut it in half.  This makes it easier to remove and reinstall so that I don't have to store more 'crap' behind the passenger seat (like the compressor and instant tire fix spray) LOL  My usual passenger is relatively short, so leg room isn't an issue.

Like I said I'll upset the people who own the leakers...lol.   We all can't be 5 foot nothing tall and enjoy just a few more inches of leg room....lol.

1 hour ago, Sydney said:

i have had a battery drain problem in 2 of my smarts.   it turned out to be the factory radio.   

i assume you have the code for it.  just try unplugging the radio and give it a try.

there is a link somewhere on this site that talked about some factory radios causing battery drain.

IMHO, the stock radio once you reprogram it to kick out richer sound using a STAR sounds very good, but you can't beat a simple cheap modern radio that has all the blue tooth etc, (can't believe I'm even saying this seeing as I don't use any of it besides answering the phone while driving through the radio, and that only happened this year! )  plus the memory stick for my music so I don't have to hear the news and commercials etc etc....sorry I do not use my cell phone as it could be used and this was easier for me...lol.   So to loose the stock radio and speakers was an easy fix.  IF you have a low end model like I did, you won't have the speaker boxes either, something you need to find in a scrapyard to get the best sound possible without mounting speakers where ever possible. The difference is very noticable for sound quality.