Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Willys

OK, who messed with the wiring under the seats???

13 posts in this topic

OK, who's played with the wiring under the carpet under the seats?
I have everything out and a fresh coat of paint on the floor, waiting for the wiring to be sorted out for heated seats if possible?  No the car didn't come with heated seats, but it's going to get them anyway!   One way or the other....lol

OK, what i have is 4 sets of wires, 2 are simple side bag wires from what I can gather. The other two well I don't know?  One set was all taped up under the passenger's seat the one under the driver's seat is loose.  I'll take a picture or two and you can see.....

OK the first 5 are the driver's side, first wire is closer to door and the second is running from centre tunnel area. You can see their colours I hope.
The next few are the passenger's side, the first one I suspect is the air bag again, but the second wire was taped up and has 3 wires in it and came from the centre area attached to a pin.

I found out what the box on the drivers side is, it's the Yaw sensor...? possibly anti skid control or would that be for the airbags???

20200716_143349.jpg

20200716_143418.jpg

20200716_143432.jpg

20200716_143443.jpg

20200716_143458.jpg

20200716_143555.jpg

20200716_143607.jpg

20200716_143619.jpg

20200716_143629.jpg

Bound to be wires for the seat belt buckle as well.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Bound to be wires for the seat belt buckle as well.

Yes I agree and think the two simple two wired connectors are just that, to make a circuit for the seatbelt sign....so what about air bags?  I'm sure there was only one wire on the passenger seat but I could be mistaken.....why don't I take pics before I start things....AUGH.....lol...!!!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

i dont understand why you didnt tie them up out of the way before sloshing all that paint on them

should be one harness for the seat airbag...and one for seatbelt warnings to the buckle...the other one i have no idea

the airbag only had 2 wires

yaw sensor would only be for the traction control or whatever they call it in the smart

some cars have occupant sensors for passenger seat...airbag system knows if someone is sitting there or not ..i dont know if smarts had those

Edited by LooseLugNuts
1 person likes this

Could the passenger seat wire be for the sub woofer that came as an option

Alan

8 hours ago, Henry said:

Could the passenger seat wire be for the sub woofer that came as an option

Alan

Hmmm....this car is the base model with most of the extras added to it, cruise, paddles etc.   It had the basic radio setting and speakers which have been turn to  enhanced setting for better sound and bass boxes installed also.  I never thought of the sub woofer, thanks another thing to check....hmmm....

12 hours ago, LooseLugNuts said:

i dont understand why you didnt tie them up out of the way before sloshing all that paint on them

should be one harness for the seat airbag...and one for seatbelt warnings to the buckle...the other one i have no idea

the airbag only had 2 wires

yaw sensor would only be for the traction control or whatever they call it in the smart

some cars have occupant sensors for passenger seat...airbag system knows if someone is sitting there or not ..i dont know if smarts had those

I did move the wiring away from each side as I poured the paint on literally!  You are speaking about the main wiring harness,  Hopefully I'll never need to deal with it. I did check for any rub marks on it before starting the painting, none at all.  So confident it's all ok....if not I'll have fun later.  

I spent hours yesterday searching in the STAR for any wiring diagrams as I know it has pictures to guide technicians on how to repair and test things, just hoping there was a wiring schematic....nope! Nothing at all.  
The shop manual I have in German has wiring diagrams but.....they are not labeled as you would expect. Not like our manuals are with labels for each part on the diagram.   Just codes for each part or sensor etc.  And the translator doesn't like really technical words etc. 

So it's a trial and error probing type job I fear and searching each seat to see what wires go where so i do not set air bag off......lol.

The other thought while I have it all apart is to install a switch to operate the heated seats maybe.  Hmmmm....?     Thoughts?

the airbag connector should be easy to identify

it has a shorting bar/shorting wire in the seat end...and is usually gold plated

OK, I'll add another don't do it unless you are a sucker for punishment......item......the brake peddle boot that rubber condom used for god only knows what?  As it really doesn't do anything useful. It has holes in it, and what a pain to re-install....AUGH..!!!!  Correctly that is...!   Then I re-installed the accelerator peddle and looked closely at it and see that it clamps down the carpet sort of, so out that came also....

The seat frames have their second coat of paint now waiting.....they the same as the floor had a collection of surface rusting, like from a paint chip. Once you unearthed it it spread until the paint had grip onto the metal. The accelerator peddle was coated in a salt brime crystal  but now looks like new. It came off easily and wasn't in or near the electronics.

When playing with the peddle I noticed that at the very bottom of the stroke it had a secondary lever or stop. Is this just for you to feel like there is something more or is this the kick-down switch?  I didn't see any wires leading to it is why I ask. Nor could see anything obviously internal...???

So that's my day's excitement...lol.   At least for the Smart anyway.

If your car did not have heated seats you are going to have to add the wiring for them. get a wire harness of the same year that had them and remove that part and put it in yours.

Only do this if you are trying to keep it original to the Smart wiring. Mine was a little more complicated I had a 06 harness, but not all that hard to change at your stage in the game.

Edited by Wild!

1 hour ago, Wild! said:

If your car did not have heated seats you are going to have to add the wiring for them. get a wire harness of the same year that had them and remove that part and put it in yours.

Only do this if you are trying to keep it original to the Smart wiring. Mine was a little more complicated I had a 06 harness, but not all that hard to change at your stage in the game.

Not sure I want to change out the entire thing, just add two switches that will control heated seats, I do not care about originality so much over function. I am adding switches etc to the glove box and have a spare glove  box to replace it with if and when I sell. I'll simply remove wiring if it is that big of a deal. I do not plan on selling car until it is dead and used up. Then sell for parts maybe?  I plan on using simple switches and resistors to control the settings for the seats. Do you know what resistors the stock hi-lo settings are?   I knew you were the guy to ask, another crazy at heart....lol.  Thanks if you can help. Also do you know what that spare wire is for under the passenger seat? It has 3 wires and a rectangle shaped plug I hope shown clear enough in the above pics. 
Thanks for all and any help.

The plug with 3 wires is for a cd disc changer that goes under the seat. From MB

About the heated seats, you only have to take out the wires from another smart that has it for the heated seats for your project. There are a set of relays that go just behind your sam, and a added fuse for the sam.You will need that as well.

Edited by Wild!
1 person likes this

14 hours ago, Wild! said:

The plug with 3 wires is for a cd disc changer that goes under the seat. From MB

About the heated seats, you only have to take out the wires from another smart that has it for the heated seats for your project. There are a set of relays that go just behind your sam, and a added fuse for the sam.You will need that as well.

Thanks, will do.