Paul

I hate engineers

9 posts in this topic

How could anyone be capable of building a car where you have to drop the engine to replace a starter motor or an alternator? Its beyond me!

gotta make compromises to get it all in such a tight efficient package

i think VW are worse...they did stupid shit for no reason at all except to add complications where there was no benefit

Nothing new.  I had a VW Westfalia 40 years ago and almost every service procedure had the same first line “remove engine”.

Some of the newer diesel pickups start with remove cab for head gaskets. 

I think the real issue is it is just different than we have done the job before on other vehicles.

Nigel

It's not all that bad if you use the lowering bolts, so I hear.  I have a set but have not had to use them yet.

It is the modern times. All cars regardless of make these days are just hopeless to work on. 

Once you get those 4 sub frame bolts loose or out, anti-seize them so they are easier next time to remove....I had one that I nearly flipped the car over trying to undo it.  Once you do get the lowering bolts or make a set it's not so bad.  BUT I agree.....what happened to sitting on the inner fender to work on the engine and still never have to move while pulling the engine out....lol.  My biggest gripe is, far too much electronics, bring back the days of one wire or maybe 3 to get a car to run....those were the days.  We didn't require a computer system to diagnose a simple issue or do a simple repair.  But hey, they also didn't get 80 mpgs....so I'll stop complaining now....lol.

The smart is what it is. You have to adapt to it not the other way around.

And yes it can be frustrating but when you do a successful repair it can give you great pleasure!

47 minutes ago, smart142 said:

The smart is what it is. You have to adapt to it not the other way around.

And yes it can be frustrating but when you do a successful repair it can give you great pleasure!

We are talking about a car not a woman right....lol

16 hours ago, Willys said:

We are talking about a car not a woman right....lol

Both!!